Monday, March 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Golf »

Am I surprised they didn't ask for a BMS on Augusta National? No. But that's simply from a position of ignorance. You will never hear a pro of any kind refer to the course as simply Augusta. Nor will you hear a top amateur, nor a golf writer, nor anybody on The Golf Channel refer to it that way.

It's just incomplete, especially with Augusta CC right next door. There have been quite a few golf clues this season, unfortunately this is at least the 4th that's had issues.
davey

Post by davey »

Golf wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:18 pm Am I surprised they didn't ask for a BMS on Augusta National? No. But that's simply from a position of ignorance. You will never hear a pro of any kind refer to the course as simply Augusta. Nor will you hear a top amateur, nor a golf writer, nor anybody on The Golf Channel refer to it that way.

It's just incomplete, especially with Augusta CC right next door. There have been quite a few golf clues this season, unfortunately this is at least the 4th that's had issues.
How do you feel about Golf Digest?
https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/trou ... sta-photos
https://www.golfdigest.com/search/augusta-
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Golf wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:18 pm Am I surprised they didn't ask for a BMS on Augusta National? No. But that's simply from a position of ignorance. You will never hear a pro of any kind refer to the course as simply Augusta. Nor will you hear a top amateur, nor a golf writer, nor anybody on The Golf Channel refer to it that way.
Maybe my recollection is wrong, but I feel like it's common for the commentators at The Masters to say something along the lines of "we're here at Augusta." It's the Masters: Everyone knows "Augusta" is just shorthand for Augusta National. I wouldn't have been surprised if Dr. Oz asked for a BMS, but it didn't shock me that he didn't.
-----

I really need to start reading the wording of the FJ clues better. Tonight I totally missed the word "movie." I think that would have a difference. I said Christie.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:08 am
Maybe my recollection is wrong, but I feel like it's common for the commentators at The Masters to say something along the lines of "we're here at Augusta." It's the Masters: Everyone knows "Augusta" is just shorthand for Augusta National. I wouldn't have been surprised if Dr. Oz asked for a BMS, but it didn't shock me that he didn't.
-----

I really need to start reading the wording of the FJ clues better. Tonight I totally missed the word "movie." I think that would have a difference. I said Christie.
Are you sure you didn't miss the word "musical"? Movie would be a perfectly reasonable clue for Christie.
billiej

Post by billiej »

DBear wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:29 pm FJ: who the heck wrote Mary Poppins? :(
That's as far as i got, too. :cry:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A nice little article about the differences between Saving Mr. Banks and historical reality.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/f ... id=2240838
earendel

Post by earendel »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:04 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:51 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:00 pm Playing off the archive, Augusta for which course hosts The Masters is at the very least a BMS as the course is called Augusta National. Furthermore, behind #12 you can see the 9th fairway of neighboring Augusta Country Club. Two totally different courses.

If you just say Augusta nobody knows which course you mean or perhaps the city itself. Members of both courses would laugh at such a response.
This is a little silly. Kind of like if you say Elvis, nobody assumes you mean Costello.
I always thought it meant Elvis Grbac.
Or Elvis Peacock.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Peacock
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:51 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:00 pm Playing off the archive, Augusta for which course hosts The Masters is at the very least a BMS as the course is called Augusta National. Furthermore, behind #12 you can see the 9th fairway of neighboring Augusta Country Club. Two totally different courses.

If you just say Augusta nobody knows which course you mean or perhaps the city itself. Members of both courses would laugh at such a response.
This is a little silly. Kind of like if you say Elvis, nobody assumes you mean Costello.
What you mean nobody?!?
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Wrigley = Augusta

Both fine to these ears.

Saving Mr. Banks got me to the FJ solve.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:30 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:08 am
-----

Are you sure you didn't miss the word "musical"? Movie would be a perfectly reasonable clue for Christie.
No, I knew the clue was asking for a musical, but a "movie musical" would have probably made me think of Mary Poppins. "Musical" didn't point me to Agatha Christie, but it was sort of my default without having anything better.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This business about Augusta versus Augusta National is just stupid pedantry. The site of the Masters is generally known in the United States as Augusta. There is really no reason to specify the difference between Augusta and Augusta National unless you're either in the golf business or live in Augusta and are making sure your golf Partners know where they're supposed to show up.

This is on the same level as arguing a contestant should be negged for saying the La Brea Tar Pits when the correct name is the George C page Museum of the La Brea discoveries. Or the contestant should be negged for saying Disneyland when the correct answer is Disneyland Park. There are probably some non L.A. specific examples but I can't think of them right now.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

DBear wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:29 pm FJ: who the heck wrote Mary Poppins? :(
Same can be said for me.

Not watching J! this week (idk why), but I’ll still play along FJ!.

Also, we’re way overdue for a 3+-day champ.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I always like it when Bib shows up in Jeopardy!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

"The Michelin tire drinks the obstacle"? Maybe that has some other meaning in French?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:46 pm "The Michelin tire drinks the obstacle"? Maybe that has some other meaning in French?
Wikipedia has this interpretation: "The implication is that Michelin tyres will easily take on road hazards."
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:42 pm

How do you feel about Golf Digest?
https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/trou ... sta-photos
https://www.golfdigest.com/search/augusta-
Or Carl "Cinderella Boy" Spackler?