Monday, March 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS: BOOK TO SCREEN

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Horrified by the 1964 movie musical from her work, she okayed a U.K. stage version as long as "no Americans" were involved

Susan McMillan: 13800-5000=8800
Cyndi Mundt: 6400+3100=9500
Bryce Hwang: 15400+13000=28400 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
(P.L.) Travers (Susan – Christie)

Daily Doubles
Bryce: 3600-3600
Bryce: 200+2000
Susan: 5000+4000

Coryats
Susan: 11000
Cyndi: 6400
Bryce: 18600

Combined: 36,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Susan: 4600
Cyndi: 3600
Bryce: 200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was a nice surprise to get J! this morning as I thought the trial coverage was going to wipe out the early options.

Young people. The contestants got caught more than once in THEY LIVED TO 100. With the contestant pool now wider than SoCal that means things like NETFLIX SHOWS BY CHARACTERS may not play to completion. Boo! That clue selection may have cost my Coryat $3600.

The LiMu clue? Ugh! Those ads.

Bryce lost the farm on DD1 and showed it can only be a temporary bump in the road as he had the lead for the FJ! round.

The FJ! clue had me thinking like Susan perhaps as I also had that wrong lady. Working more from a stage angle had me thinking The Mousetrap. I cheated myself out a possible save by not working the (very likely better for me) movie angle off the year. I'm near certain, though can't be positive, that if I got to the right movie I would have recalled the author's name. Or it could have been a dreadful blank at the wrong time. No way of knowing now.

The miss stings since I could have five in a row and I've seen the Thompson/Hanks movie. The haunt factor won't be as bad as not getting the It clue earlier this season, but it's still going to nag at me to let it get away.

Well done by the challengers to get the double solve. Now, if only the contestants could play with more discipline and cut down on the incorrect responses when ringing in. :twisted:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf

Post by Golf »

Playing off the archive, Augusta for which course hosts The Masters is at the very least a BMS as the course is called Augusta National. Furthermore, behind #12 you can see the 9th fairway of neighboring Augusta Country Club. Two totally different courses.

If you just say Augusta nobody knows which course you mean or perhaps the city itself. Members of both courses would laugh at such a response.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:00 pm Playing off the archive, Augusta for which course hosts The Masters is at the very least a BMS as the course is called Augusta National. Furthermore, behind #12 you can see the 9th fairway of neighboring Augusta Country Club. Two totally different courses.

If you just say Augusta nobody knows which course you mean or perhaps the city itself. Members of both courses would laugh at such a response.
I added a note for the clue. At home I did add "National" for my response when playing along.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had Christie on FJ. I did say Augusta National for the golf course as that is always how I hear it referred to.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:42 pm The FJ! clue had me thinking like Susan perhaps as I also had that wrong lady. Working more from a stage angle had me thinking The Mousetrap. I cheated myself out a possible save by not working the (very likely better for me) movie angle off the year. I'm near certain, though can't be positive, that if I got to the right movie I would have recalled the author's name. Or it could have been a dreadful blank at the wrong time. No way of knowing now.
I had Christie on the brain for about 20 seconds. Mary Poppins finally came to me, so I would have ha time to get Travers down.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Sad we didnt get the Last 2 netflix Clues.

Mary Poppins Never Crossed my Mind.

Lach Trash - Michelin DD
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Physics, Summoners
DDs: :D :D :( (blanked first name)
trash: Michelin DD, George Burns :o , demon :twisted: ,
FJ: who the heck wrote Mary Poppins? :(
davey

Post by davey »

As far as I know there's never been a musical of an Agatha Christie property on stage or film...though Margaret Rutherford was a crack Miss Marple twice in 1964...I've never seen Saving Mr. Banks but presumably this FJ would have been even easier if I had...
I said Augusta and since I'm not likely to meet any Club members to laugh at me I'm fine with it... ;)
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

I’ve seen Saving Mr. Banks, which made FJ an instsaget. However, at the end of that film, Travers (as played by Emma Thompson) appeared to have been won over by Disney’s treatment of her novel.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:19 pm I said Augusta and since I'm not likely to meet any Club members to laugh at me I'm fine with it... ;)
With all due deference to Golf, I'm going to disagree with him and say "Augusta" on its own is just fine.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:00 pm Playing off the archive, Augusta for which course hosts The Masters is at the very least a BMS as the course is called Augusta National. Furthermore, behind #12 you can see the 9th fairway of neighboring Augusta Country Club. Two totally different courses.

This is a little silly. Kind of like if you say Elvis, nobody assumes you mean Costello.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:51 pm

This is a little silly. Kind of like if you say Elvis, nobody assumes you mean Costello.
I gotta agree here. I said Augusta National because I’m an avid golfer and was mildly surprised to hear just Augusta as an answer, but at most I’d have expected a BMS and really wasn’t surprised when it was accepted.
Instaget FJ. ‘64 movie musical that author doesn’t like? Done...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:42 pm
davey wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:19 pm I said Augusta and since I'm not likely to meet any Club members to laugh at me I'm fine with it... ;)
With all due deference to Golf, I'm going to disagree with him and say "Augusta" on its own is just fine.
I will double down and agree on this comment. Do you have to say the "Old Course" at St. Andrews? The "New Course" is 125 years old :lol:. (Happy to say I've played both - the New course allows buggies so my 79 year old father could join me).

Getting unhinged, and away from Jeopardy, I'd prefer it if the Master's was moved to a real public golf course that has always admitted blacks, women, and all the other excluded minorities. I believe in second chances and redemption, but Augusta National should be scorned for the multiple abuses and tone deafness over generation after generation.

I knew the clue was about Mary Poppins and thought I was done. Then I read it closer and knew that I was done, but in a bad way. I knew nothing about the Travers story until we saw the Tom Hanks movie. It is a funny clue in that context - "no Americans" :lol:.

WTH was going on with the Rose Kennedy DD? Why was the first name needed?

Dr. Oz handled the Indian Ocean / Arabian Sea BMS very smoothly. He must have been prepared, or it was dubbed?

Good job by the new champ.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:51 pm

I always thought it meant Elvis Grbac.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I sure do love fun new facts. TIL that peloton meant something other than the company in all those commercials yelling at me to "keep pushing it!"

I've seen Saving Mr. Banks, so FJ was a snap.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

46R. 3/4 on big clues. Missed P. L. Travers. I wrote down "Claudette" trying to think of "Colette" who wrote Gigi. Have not seen Saving Mr. Banks. It sounded like Mary Poppins and it reminded me of another clue that talked about the worst cockney accent in history but I had no idea who wrote Mary Poppins. I've seen the P. L. Travers Wikipedia page before so definitely not the first time I've missed this one. Good categories for me in DJ. I went 26/28 which was really fun. Angkor Wat was on the tip of my tongue but couldn't pull it and missed John McCain.

The triple stumper about Aleister Crowley summoning a demon reminded me of this comic that always makes me laugh:
Spoiler
Didn't know Augusta wasn't the full name but would have added National if they asked for a BMS.

Missed Kickstarter and said GoFundMe. Got Jaws but started thinking about The Meg afterwards. Thought it was called The Mega.

Some clues I missed that I'll try to get next time are peloton, troll, Hilton Head, and David Copperfield. And of course P. L. Travers.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.