Tuesday, March 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've completely given up trying to solve FJ! at this point. Was auditioning a mistake?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:03 pm I've completely given up trying to solve FJ! at this point. Was auditioning a mistake?
With that attitude, yes.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I don't get it...why would anybody guess Edwin Booth? Just to be perverse?
It took me a while to figure out what kind of performer the clue was talking about, then it satisfyingly snapped into place...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

FJ: Assume acting and badassery are inherited traits. Name a badass actor from mid 19th century. I picked Booth, but really don't like the pathway. I don't think of acting as a family business, although there are plenty of examples. I'm sure it's the connections, not the inherited talent, although that is probably a real thing too. Being a badass- that's mostly nurture, not nature.

Bryce. is. a. good. player.
I didn't notice his deliberate spaced responses until later in tonight's game. I'm glad Amanda got to play FJ. Her buzzer was broken for what seemed like 25 clues.

Hard to hate Dr. Oz's performance unless it is on your agenda. I'm at a strong 7/10 for him, mostly downgraded because he doesn't have that midwestern neutral accent and diction.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

AntmanB wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:16 pm im Guessing "Pre Kindergarden" would have been too specific for "Kindergarden"?
Also three letters too many (category was "12 letter words")

To steal from TPH... Someone threatened Andrew Jackson? That could literally be anyone! :lol:

Couldn't put the pieces together in time, knew performer was the key but I got stuck trying to think of a singer rather than try cycling through performing professions first...then I scribbled Van Buren down in an attempt at funny. That said, that's a damn fine clue there.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:03 pm I've completely given up trying to solve FJ! at this point. Was auditioning a mistake?
With that attitude, yes.
As opposed to my previous attitude of "HOW THE HELL DOES ANYONE KNOW THAT"? I'd say it's a tossup.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

40R. 1/4 on big clues. Guessed Lake Michigan instead of Lake Erie. Embarrassed about that one but I'll get over it. Didn't get Lamentations but maybe if I had more time. Usually do better on Bible categories and I'll go and review that. For FJ I guessed Sitting Bull. I couldn't figure out who would be associated with Jackson in Philadelphia and figured a prominent Native American would be the most likely to want to hurt him. Sitting Bull is associated with performances but I have no idea why his father would be performing in Philadelphia. Interesting clues, lots to learn today.

Bryce played really well. I hope he breaks the streak and goes on a long run.

I'm surprised they accepted Willie. I don't think that's what they were going for.

Some clues I missed that I want to get next time are Vertigo, David Ellison (movie producer son of Larry Ellison), Kim Campbell/Canada, harbringer, and Captain Kangaroo.

Mixed up adulation and adulteration. Missed haunch (leg meat) and I was trying to think of some combination of haddock (fish - meat) and hassock (footstool).

The archive has "Bhalu" instead of "Baloo" which I found interesting and made me realize they asked for the Hindi word and not the character.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:48 pm I don't get it...why would anybody guess Edwin Booth? Just to be perverse?
I'm assuming it's a joke?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:48 pm I don't get it...why would anybody guess Edwin Booth? Just to be perverse?
Because they're a smartass who's not quite smart enough to avoid what they've got coming!
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Anyone else slightly bothered and thrown off by Battlestar Galactica being abbrev. as BSG and not BG?

Bryce is daaaamn good.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:15 am Anyone else slightly bothered and thrown off by Battlestar Galactica being abbrev. as BSG and not BG?
My wife commented on that.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I was also disappointed not to run LAKES & RIVERS. I thought the Oder was longer than the Vistula because it runs through multiple countries, but alas...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:15 am Anyone else slightly bothered and thrown off by Battlestar Galactica being abbrev. as BSG and not BG?
I've seen it abbreviated that way before. Plus the category didn't specify that anything would be strictly abbreviated to initials.
jamie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jamie »

"Be that as it may, Dr. Oz, he was still the father of Edwin after he sent the letter -- so, in the future."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bryce. Certainly. Has ... a ............. style.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Performing was a key part of the FJ clue, and if you knew about the Booth lineage, that turned into a WECIB FJ.

Congrats to Bryce on a extremely well-played game.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:32 am
I've seen it abbreviated that way before. Plus the category didn't specify that anything would be strictly abbreviated to initials.
BSG is the correct abbreviation for the new series. Don't think the original ever used it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:28 pm
BSG is the correct abbreviation for the new series.
Is there some organization that meets and decides these things? :)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:02 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:28 pm
BSG is the correct abbreviation for the new series.
Is there some organization that meets and decides these things? :)
I think it's more of a cabal, really.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

FJ was a stand and stare for about 15 seconds, then AHA!, then 14 seconds of WECIB. I'll take it.

Sure wonder why Jean decided to go almost all-in on FJ wagering, when her chances of snagging the win were right up there with my chances of being voted Miss America. But I guess it's her extra thousand bucks to piss away, not mine, so go for it.