Friday, April 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, April 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, April 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EPONYMOUS LANDMARKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1960 the ashes of this aviator were spread over the Venezuela natural wonder he famously sighted decades earlier

Scott Shewfelt: 20000+9601=29601 (2x = $46,800)
Mary Dixon: 14800+10200=25000
Stephanie Chapman: 5300+300=5600

Correct response:
Spoiler
(James) Angel

Daily Doubles
Stephanie: 3000-1500
Mary: 7200+2000
Scott: 15000+5000

Coryats
Scott: 16200
Mary: 14800
Stephanie: 6800

Combined: 37,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Scott: 4600
Mary: 4000
Stephanie: 2100
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Twice I've come across the South Korean movie director lately between the 4/2 NYT crossword and today's clue in CATCHIN' THE MOVIE TRAIN.

Dr. Oz managed to turn some phrases on the show that he made his own. Previously I noticed, "Take it away" and "Yes, [player name]" when calling on a contestant. Today Mary did well in DISNEY DWARF ALTERNATE NAMES and Mehmet gave her, "That was a gold mine for you."

The "Heart Of Glass" clue reminded that Miley Cyrus did a cover version. It's worth a listen for those who are able to stomach a remaking of a classic. Some cannot under any circumstances.

The FJ! category had me with no inspirations other than Cleopatra's Needle.

The FJ! clue had me grateful for a quick no doubter to avoid the skunk week. The players followed suit to get a sweep and Scott a title defense.

Next up Aaron Rodgers.

Charity scoreboard:
Katie - $230,504
Mehmet - $268,701
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Dr. Oz 10 is complete: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6987

I tried a copy/paste for what I saw on the months clue and could not quite find the right things on Google.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Today I learned that Angel Falls were named after a person. Isn't learning fun?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

zakharov wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:32 pm Today I learned that Angel Falls were named after a person. Isn't learning fun?
Same here. I never really thought about it but would have assumed it had some sort of religious connection. I got it right but it was one of those “put something down” things that paid off.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Went with Orville wright knowing it would probably be wrong. I Didnt know Angel falls was named after a Person Either.

Thank god we are done with Oz and Monday we go to someone i actually Really Like.
Last edited by AntmanB on Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm actually happy to have gone 0/10 under the reign of Mehmet the Quack.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

zakharov wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:32 pm Today I learned that Angel Falls were named after a person. Isn't learning fun?
Ditto.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Dwarves, US Cities, Navy Jobs, Science "N",
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: Switzerland DD (cantons!), chaplain :o , Nigeria (3600)
FJ: who is someone named Angel? :mrgreen: both a WAG & a WECIB
I didn't think it possible, but thanks to the cancel clowns :x in the media, I actually have some sympathy for Dr. Oz now.
Next two weeks with Aaron Rodgers should be real interesting..
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Mark me down for a perfect 15/15 on DD's this week. I definitely had to sweat on the last one, as it took me a few seconds to think of a word for "deceased" that rhymed with great Kate. Got there to my relief.

Knew all the facts about Angel Falls, since it there was a clue about its discovery in the G.O.A.T. Tournament.

For those worried about Aaron Rodgers as host next week, check out this article: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/311 ... guest-host
MSTieScott
Contributor

Post by MSTieScott »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:16 pm For those worried about Aaron Rodgers as host next week, check out this article: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/311 ... guest-host
"I took pages and pages and pages of notes. I wrote down every affirmative that he said to any type of clue. I wrote down how he would respond if they didn't get it right."
Fingers crossed that this means we get a two-week break from "We were looking for."
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

FJ: I knew it had to be the big waterfall without really knowing which country it is in, one of those South American ones. Came up with it in time after getting "Ribbon Falls" out of the brain. I'll be glad when it is renamed because being the first white guy to see something shouldn't give naming rights.

I probably enjoyed Kate more than Mehmet since there is some novelty element to it, just like maybe, oh, an NFL quarterback :). Dr. Oz stood and delivered. But I'm not buying any products from him.

A good game, and a nice payday.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MSTieScott wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:43 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:16 pm For those worried about Aaron Rodgers as host next week, check out this article:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/311 ... guest-host
"I took pages and pages and pages of notes. I wrote down every affirmative that he said to any type of clue. I wrote down how he would respond if they didn't get it right."
Fingers crossed that this means we get a two-week break from "We were looking for."
Spoiler alert for the ESPN link - Aaron may have blabbed too much about the end of his first game.

Spoiler alert: twelvefootboy may have blabbed too much about Aaron Rodgers blabbing too much. :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. 2/4 on big clues. Didn't get "Late Great Kate" in time. Might have gotten it before time ran out but I'll mark it as wrong. Started with "Audrey" and "Dead" which did not rhyme. Got to "late" just as the correct response was given. Missed FJ also, box of shame for me this week. My second time since I joined this forum. I like to imagine it won't happen again. I wrote down Angel Falls immediately and then crossed out Angel and wrote Iguazu. Thought Iguazu Falls was in the wrong place. Thought Angel Falls was named for the heavenly beings. Picked the wrong one. Good opportunity to learn.

Those contestant interviews were brutal. "I like sticking people with needles" followed by "I don't talk to dead people" followed by "I killed a family". I was more entertained than concerned but definitely a combination of the two.

I said "Dopey" instead of "Sleepy" for the languid clue. I think they'd mark that wrong but there could be an argument for it.

Spoiler for the J6! clue:
Spoiler
They asked for a synonym of "Oafish" and I missed Dopey. My brain read it as Oa Fish and I had to look up the word. :roll:
Matched Mary and missed Crete by saying Cyprus.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Nigeria/Yoruba, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Serbo-Croatian, Colorado Springs, and Chic.

I missed the Love Train clue by the O'Jays but got the other train clues. I was watching out for Train to Busan which I saw recently and enjoyed. Didn't show up. I watched Snowpiercer and it stuck with me for the wrong reasons. I guess I'll put it in a spoiler if somebody hasn't seen the movie.
Spoiler
In the movie Snowpiercer the world is completely devastated and lifeless, everything is frozen like an ice age, and the train is the only apparent source of life in the world. At the end of the movie some characters escape the train and there is a polar bear. How does a giant apex predator survive when there is no apparent food source anywhere? No plants, no rabbits, no coyotes, no deer - but there is a polar bear. It's really stupid. And it also works really well for the allegory. The whole train is an allegory about how the rich cruelly exploit the lower class for their own benefit but the lower class is able to organize and fight back successfully. The lower class people on the train fight their way to the front of the train, killing the ruling class and throwing off the yoke of oppression. But in doing so they've destroyed the societal order that had existed, and without that societal order, which oppressed them, they are completely at the mercy of nature and are in a worse position. Hence the polar bear. The polar bear probably eats the characters that escaped the train.

The polar bear is my main takeaway from the movie. Train to Busan was better.
I guess the last name requirement doesn't apply to Hobbits. They let the contestant answer Sam for Samwise Gamgee.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:48 pm The "Heart Of Glass" clue reminded that Miley Cyrus did a cover version. It's worth a listen for those who are able to stomach a remaking of a classic. Some cannot under any circumstances.
Reminded me of the cover of "Call Me" by In This Moment.
Last edited by MattKnowles on Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:48 pmThe FJ! category had me with no inspirations other than Cleopatra's Needle.
I thought of Pikes Peak, in part because for two years I attended a small liberal arts school nestled at the foot of it. Also, at 14,115 feet, it's an eponymous landmark visible from probably a hundred miles to the east, aka Kansas.
In and out of the pool four times
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

Stephanie only wagered $300 on FJ ?! Didn't she need to wager at least $5,100 to even have a chance?

And, Mary overbet, giving her that chance.

Everyone got it right, so it didn't matter, but imagine if she had a sole get. :(
Last edited by mjhunt on Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:27 pm
Ditto.
Me too. Seems like this could be a good bonus question for the weekly poll.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

reddpen wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:48 pmThe FJ! category had me with no inspirations other than Cleopatra's Needle.
I thought of Pikes Peak, in part because for two years I attended a small liberal arts school nestled at the foot of it. Also, at 14,115 feet, it's an eponymous landmark visible from probably a hundred miles to the east, aka Kansas.
No. It's nearly 200 miles from Pikes Peak to the Kansas state line.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.