How Did Dr. Oz Do as Host? (His actual performance, not your opinion of him)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Dr. Oz on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best

4%
5%
9%
4%
14%
18%
23%
16%
4%
3%

Total votes: 77

da Doctah
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: How Did Dr. Oz Do as Host? (His actual performance, not your opinion of him)

Post by da Doctah »

AntmanB wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:10 pm i Thought he was fine, but you could tell especially in those first couple episodes he was dubbed.

1, Ken
2. Mike
3. Katie
4. Dr Oz

But honestly i liked Katie and Mike about the same.
I'd put them in the same order, but with the spacing very different: Mike just slightly behind Ken and Katie well behind. Dr Oz seemed uninterested in the contestants, both during gameplay and in the up-front interviews, while Katie was if anything *too* sympathetic (which goes with her existing "what kind of a tree and why" reputation).

I'm not sure where to find the most current list of upcoming guest hosts, but one I'd like to see try out is David Grohl. Was stunned to discover what a good interviewer he was when Chelsea Handler had him fill in as host of her E! show.
TenPoundHammer

Re: How Did Dr. Oz Do as Host? (His actual performance, not your opinion of him)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Absolutely fucking dreadful. He felt like someone playing a game show host on a really bad sitcom. Or Patrick Wayne hosting the 1990 version of Tic-Tac-Dough. Same difference.

Not once did I feel like he conveyed any sort of authority or understanding of the show. His inflections were so off-the-mark that it felt like he was reading every clue for the first time.

I still think a 1 is way too high.
davey

Post by davey »

I give him a 5, and put him in last place. He had the poorest diction of the GH's so far. But he wasn't terrible, and it's the staff's fault if his FJ wrap-ups were not always informative enough.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I thought he did pretty well. It’s clear that he and Coric aren’t there for the job permanently. I think jennings wants it but I’m hoping he doesn’t get it since he’s annoying. Brook Burns or Mike Richards for the job. I’m not expecting much from next week’s lunkhead.
Greenfan

Post by Greenfan »

When I have a long drive I sometimes download Jeopardy onto my DirectTV app and listen in the car. I have done this with many Alex episodes and a few with Ken and never had any problem playing along by ear.

I tried this last week with the first 2 Dr. Oz episodes and had to give up at the first commercial break both times because I could not understand what he was saying on many clues. I could hear the contestant responses perfectly, so I actually had to play reverse Jeopardy, trying to guess the answers based on the contestants' questions.

He slurs a lot of words, particularly words with a multiple "S". When watching and reading the answers along with him it was better, but there were other times when he was just talking that I could not understand - for example at the end of the contestant interviews on several shows.

He does have an unusual way of talking and enunciating, and is obviously trying very hard but I don't think he was an effective host.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I thought he did extremely well in terms of pacing and tone. I would rank him first of the ones I've seen. Lots of basketball preemptions and other issues, so I only watched half of his run. But still, hoping they will reverse direction and find someone who isn't controversial (I don't have an opinion of him myself, but I think it's best for the franchise to hire someone who doesn't force us to consider the above restriction).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

If I dropped in from another dimension, I can't objectively say I'd turn off the TV if Oz was hosting and would leave it on Alex was hosting. I have no sense of nostalgia for Alex, and both Katie and Oz made me chuckle at about the same rate as Alex used to in the span of ten games. I don't recall any cringeworthy moments so far with the guest hosts - Alex dropped about one a month.

All that is prelude to my scoring an 8 for anybody who doesn't annoy me and executes the gameplay correctly. Some good points were made about elocution, and since I read the clues, I perhaps overlooked his diction.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Greenfan wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:02 pm When I have a long drive I sometimes download Jeopardy onto my DirectTV app and listen in the car. I have done this with many Alex episodes and a few with Ken and never had any problem playing along by ear.

I tried this last week with the first 2 Dr. Oz episodes and had to give up at the first commercial break both times because I could not understand what he was saying on many clues. I could hear the contestant responses perfectly, so I actually had to play reverse Jeopardy, trying to guess the answers based on the contestants' questions.
Interesting comparison method. Now I'm wondering if it would be enlightening to go back and listen to several audio-only episodes each guest host. I don't know if my list order might change, but I wouldn't be surprised if opinions about the guest hosts might change.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

My rankings so far:

1. Mike (which surprised me...I'd never heard of him before he hosted the game). I thought he was wonderful and all we could ever ask for.

2. Ken is #2 but way below Mike in my viewpoint. He was pleasant and competent.
3. Dr. Oz. Also pleasant and competent and way below Mike. And too controversial to be a serious candidate.

...way down the list....

4. Katie was simply too sweet (and I say that despite liking her work in other venues). She just didn't work (IMHO) on this show.

I thought Mayim Bialik (forgive me if I'm butchering the spelling of either or both names) was supposed to be next. What's up?
I just saw a blurb announcing Aaron Rodgers is up next. Hey, I'm not ready for him to be quitting his current job, no matter now he does in his audition.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

John Boy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:12 pm ... I thought Mayim Bialik (forgive me if I'm butchering the spelling of either or both names) was supposed to be next. What's up?
I just saw a blurb announcing Aaron Rodgers is up next. Hey, I'm not ready for him to be quitting his current job, no matter now he does in his audition.
Rodgers next, then Anderson Cooper, then Bill Whitaker, then Mayim Bialik. Each gets two weeks.

It is my understanding that so far, only Ken and Mike are being seriously considered for the permanent gig at this point. Maybe that'll remain true, maybe someone as yet undiscovered will hit a home run...

In any case, what we see on the telecast is only part of the story. That's a finished product that editors and producers made to look as good as possible, but just how difficult was the great product to make? We simply don't know that. For example, if Host A practically never ever made mistakes that made the show tricky to do, but Host B was more likeable as a host but made too many errors, which one to choose? Or do they keep looking for that perfect host elsewhere?

As far as what we actually have seen... I rank both very highly, but if I have to choose, I like Ken very very slightly over Mike, would be happy with either choice. Katie and Doc Oz were also fine, both actually better than I thought they'd be, but a cut below the top two.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Rackme32 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:15 pm Rodgers next, then Anderson Cooper, then Bill Whitaker, then Mayim Bialik. Each gets two weeks.
There is a two-week gap between Whitaker and Bialik, as well.
Rackme32

Post by Rackme32 »

Is the gap for the TOC?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Rackme32 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:15 pm

It is my understanding that so far, only Ken and Mike are being seriously considered for the permanent gig at this point.
why is that your understanding? Considering Mike is the EP, who is it that would be "seriously considering" him?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:53 am Is the gap for the TOC?
With all the other buzz about a TOC happening, that would be my guess; but what I'm wondering is what they are doing to hold it when they aren't taking contestants from outside California (or did they start with nationwide players again?).
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Harley R
Contributor

Post by Harley R »

Doonesbury hit the nail on the head in Sunday's strip.
I am quite glad to see Oz gone. He should not be considered for future shows.
So far Ken has been the best.
After Alex, he most personifies Jeopardy and will get even better as he gains comfort.
Leander

Post by Leander »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:36 am

It is my understanding that so far, only Ken and Mike are being seriously considered for the permanent gig at this point.
why is that your understanding? Considering Mike is the EP, who is it that would be "seriously considering" him?
Mike is also the EP of Wheel of Fortune, so would he do both EP jobs and host? Give up being EP just to host? Plus he indicated that the only reason he hosted was due to Ken’s time commitment to other shows. I don’t think he is a long term candidate.
Rackme32

Post by Rackme32 »

Leander wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:01 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:36 am

Mike is also the EP of Wheel of Fortune, so would he do both EP jobs and host? Give up being EP just to host? Plus he indicated that the only reason he hosted was due to Ken’s time commitment to other shows. I don’t think he is a long term candidate.
Points well made re: Mike. So maybe Ken is the only serious candidate we've seen thus far.

All of the celeb guests have been at least okay, but of those I really like Rodgers. Took me a show or two to warm up to him because he's so low-key, but I'm liking his performance better with each show. Even if the producers really *do* want him, though, he's got at least $50M left on his Packers contract and it doesn't fully expire 'til 2024.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:50 amP.S. Alex wasn't immune to that kind of error himself; for example, there was a clue in my first game that he had to re-record because he read "in the '80s" as modifying the preceding words when it modified the following words (which threw me enough to cause me to clam on a correct response).
This game here

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3104

That's interesting because I thought the claim was that only portions of the show not affecting the outcome were re-recorded. Yet the outcome may have been affected by your clamming--not dramatically, but a tiny bit. This was the SJ round and the DD had already been uncovered. So nothing course-altering happened because Peter was allowed to choose the next clue (which, in any event, you picked up, getting your universe back on track with the one that should have been). And the other two contestants uncovered the DJ DDs, each betting $2000. That round number wasn't likely to change just because you had $200 more and Peter $200 less. And the game was a runaway, so this didn't change the winner.

But that means that going into FJ, Peter would probably have had $200 less and you $200 more. That would have given you an extra $600 to bet safely. Perhaps you would have still bet $517 because that number was meaningful. Or maybe you were just clowning around and would have bet $1117 had that been safe. It's not a huge deal, I suppose, but it ain't nothing. It ain't even chump change. (Anyone who thinks different can settle the bet by mailing me a check for $600. Once the check clears, I'll cheerfully concede that you're right and I'm wrong.)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Like Mark Barrett, I was on the fence between 6 and 7. I'd say he started out as a 5 or 6 but was on his way to a 7. Ordinarily, that would cause me to mark him a 7. But I'd already rated Mike Richards a solid 7 and wanted my vote to reflect that Oz was a step lower than that.

I'll also note that after Katie Couric's performance I went back and upped my vote for Ken. This isn't a dig at Katie. But I'd rated Ken an 8 and Mike a 7. Katie was clearly better than Mike (to me) and Ken was clearly better than Katie. On reflection, I decided it was reasonable to rank Ken as a 9--pretty much as good a performance as possible with the number 10 slot being reserved for the hypothetical host who is as good as Alex. That allowed me to award Katie an 8 and to have the hosts ranked 6, 7, 8, 9--Oz, Richards, Couric, Jennings--in order of preference.