Monday, April 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:56 pm

It looked like there was an edit or a glitch on the catcher clue. They just skipped the contestant giving the response and went to the next clue about The Baltic Sea. I don't think I had a seizure. I'm not epileptic or anything. Missed several clues immediately after that because it threw me off.

Aaron: Scott?
Scott: What is catcher?
Aaron: That's the position.
Scott: Uh, Drops in the Ocean, 1600.
It does sound like there was an edit after this, before the clue was read.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

I loved that all the Ken Burns clues used the Ken Burns effect. :lol:

I'm excited about Rodgers. He's the first guest host I've seen who seemed like he was being himself, rather than doing an Alex imitation. That's what I've been begging for.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:34 pmFWIW, I will not watch every Tom Hanks movie just to get Jeopardy! FJ's :roll: .
I think you can safely omit Bachelor Party and Volunteers.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

This is what I had on the catcher clue:

https://i.imgur.com/lAKTxbM.mp4

I'm watching on YouTube TV on KABC in Los Angeles.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:16 am This is what I had on the catcher clue:

Came in fine for me, catcher and next clue call. Also KABC. I do watch OTA, though, maybe it was a cable/satellite hiccup?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:16 am This is what I had on the catcher clue:

Yeah, KABC definitely glitched there. I can see how that would throw you momentarily off your game. Here's what you should have seen:

alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i believe that "sackbutt" was mentioned during or after bilbo's birthday party in the first volume of "lord of the rings."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:14 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:34 pmFWIW, I will not watch every Tom Hanks movie just to get Jeopardy! FJ's :roll: .
I think you can safely omit Bachelor Party and Volunteers.
Because there is nothing trivia worthy in them or he is like me and seen both movies more than once?

If anyone gets to time travel then bet 1984/85 me that Tom Hanks will will win two Best Actor Oscars. As many laughs as there are in those movies, that would be funnier.

Some previous J! clues:

#6917, aired 2014-10-14 CELEBRITY MARRIAGES $600: He met Rita Wilson on the set of "Bosom Buddies"; the pair reconnected making the 1985 movie "Volunteers"
#4125, aired 2002-07-05 I MARRIED A STAR $200: Rita Wilson worked with him filming "Volunteers" in 1985 & volunteered to marry him 3 years later
#954, aired 1988-10-27 PEOPLE $500: In 1988 this "Big" star married Rita Wilson, his co-star in the 1985 film "Volunteers"
#794, aired 1988-02-04 "B" MOVIES $600: 1984 Tom Hanks film featuring a fiance's final fling
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I was pleasantly surprised at Aaron Rodgers’s ability as a host, though that hairdo put me in mind of Michael Beschloss at times. FJ had my wife thinking of Alex Trebek until I pointed out the category. I got to Fred Rogers quickly and couldn’t think of any response I liked better.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:49 pm For Final, Mr. Rogers never crossed my mind. The quote about people helping you become who you are led me to This Is Your Life and Ralph Edwards.

Even if the category was TV PERSONALITIES OF THE PAST, I would have said "Who was Regis Philbin?"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:24 am

Came in fine for me, catcher and next clue call. Also KABC. I do watch OTA, though, maybe it was a cable/satellite hiccup?
Sounds like it's YouTube's glitch; I watched KABC on cable (Spectrum, if anyone cares) and nothing was amiss.
yclept

Post by yclept »

We should expect a mixed reaction to every host. Personally, when I think of first impressions, Aaron is second behind Ken. “I never heard of it either” makes him relatable to the home audience, many of whom likely didn’t know it either. Alex was good at adding extra info/thoughts to only X number of clues per game, and I think Aaron did well with that. I honestly don’t think he did one thing wrong. If he doesn’t do Jeopardy (I doubt he retires to do a game show at this stage of his career), there is post-career television work in his future, whether that be within the NFL or outside it.

The champ’s response was hysterical. He had no chance to win, so it doesn’t bother me for him to go with the comedy answer over trying to solve the clue.k
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:43 pm To the person who said he listens to audio of the show while driving...do not listen to this episode with this host if driving late at night or if you are very tired. Hopefully he shows more energy in the next nine episodes.
Aaron Rodgers is a superb quarterback. Tonight that did not translate well to being a J! host. Listening to him was also putting me to sleep.

Sorry, Aaron. You're a really nice guy (except when you're beating my Cowboys). But keep your day job.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I beat all the contestants in getting Iranian hostages. I thought 444 was Pavlov for that. It happens that so many people played 444 on the day they were released, the Michigan State Lottery suspended trading in 444 in its Daily 3 game.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Aaron was a little marble-mouthed for me. He does have potential, and I think he'll improve as he gets games under his belt.

Count me as another that went with Phil Donahue. It sounded like psychology talk to me.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Impressive performance by Brandon. Scott went for the big laugh in FJ after obviously realizing DD3 came too late to save the day. Thought Mr. Rogers was a slam dunk and was surprised by the misses.

Aaron Rodgers was a little muted coming off Dr. Oz, but he seemed comfortable with the flow. I don't see him as the long-term host, as he wants, but it's only been one game so far. I thought he was solid and likable.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

DisneyFor2000Alex wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:50 pm Hi all! Didn’t want to create a separate post for it, but wanted to say that I’ll be a contestant on Wednesday’s episode, and I wanted to thank everyone here, as this was a constant resource for me in preparing! If anyone is interested on my take/thoughts, I’ll be live tweeting my episode at 7pm EDT on Wednesday (AmyR896). THANKS ALL!!!
Retro good luck and welcome to the after.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Having Mr. Rogers be the correct response on Mr. Rodgers' hosting debut feels like more than a coincidence.

Overall I liked his flow, seemed a bit more fluid and graceful than the others have been so far. He ad-libbed off the clues pretty well ("sackbut": "I've never heard of it either"). I was pleasantly surprised.

My FJ precall was Judge Judy. Got Mr. Rogers with no problem.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Waffled between Phil Donahue and Regis Philbin, settled on the latter as I decided Donahue was going a little too far back.

As noted upthread, Rodgers was rather low-key. But each previous host had their own little quirks in the first episode or two before they settled in. I'll withhold judgement until his run is over.

The host can see FJ! responses prior to the reveal, correct? I wonder if the producers told him to "sound out (Scott's) response and act surprised" or if he was ignorant up to that point. His reaction seemed natural but that could have been an overdub.

ETA: I may be misremembering. Perhaps the host can see the wagers prior but not the response?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I asked 2016 College Championship winner Sam Deutsch whether current champion Brandon Deutsch was any relation. The answer--nope!