Tuesday, April 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by squarekara »

Another Coolidge here.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:16 am Noah Wyle was in the first round, and John Carter was in the second. I was amused.
Nice! Didn't even notice.
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

Never occurred to me that cabin would be anything other than four-walls-and-a-roof in this context.

Best I could come up with was Eisenhower, via a rather tortuous route through Camp David.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Airplane cabin occurred to me fairly early in the 30 seconds, which partly is luck; I could imagine whiffing on this FJ! on another day when I didn't make that connection.

So far, I really like AR. The first thing I noticed on Monday was how well he parsed through the clues, with appropriate emphasis and pauses. It's interesting that his a-little-too-laid-back energy level didn't even occur to me until I read the comments here.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I was reading an article about a guy who tried to ship himself in a crate from Australia to London back in 1965. It had this sentence, "the stowaway was sent home to London on a plane - this time in the cabin." Imagine if that had said "a cabin". It would sound completely off, right? Bad English. It's always THE cabin, because it's the cabin of the plane. You never call it A cabin, as though there might be others. Only one cabin per plane.

Put it another way. And I know I'm beating a dead horse because I'm really irked. Would you ever say, "I boarded the plane. I spent the next 5 hours in a cabin"? Ludicrous.

Am I the only one who considered LBJ and rejected the idea because no competent writer would say they were in "a cabin" when they were in the cabin of the plane? If Robert Caro (the writer of the quoted biography) had just changed that one incorrect article, I'd have gotten this FJ with no difficulty. As it is, this clue reads like one of those Car Talk puzzlers where they're deliberately trying to mislead.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

The last time I was on a plane it had a the cabin.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

What came to mind for me was the fact that the first U.S. president who was born in a hospital was Jimmy Carter. Was this FJ trying to lead us to a 20th century President who was actually born in a cabin? I know that wouldn't make sense in the context of making decisions as president, but without realizing "a...cabin" could be an airplane cabin I didn't know where else to go.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:28 am I was reading an article about a guy who tried to ship himself in a crate from Australia to London back in 1965. It had this sentence, "the stowaway was sent home to London on a plane - this time in the cabin." Imagine if that had said "a cabin". It would sound completely off, right? Bad English. It's always THE cabin, because it's the cabin of the plane. You never call it A cabin, as though there might be others. Only one cabin per plane.

Put it another way. And I know I'm beating a dead horse because I'm really irked. Would you ever say, "I boarded the plane. I spent the next 5 hours in a cabin"? Ludicrous.

Am I the only one who considered LBJ and rejected the idea because no competent writer would say they were in "a cabin" when they were in the cabin of the plane? If Robert Caro (the writer of the quoted biography) had just changed that one incorrect article, I'd have gotten this FJ with no difficulty. As it is, this clue reads like one of those Car Talk puzzlers where they're deliberately trying to mislead.
And don't use an article that implies ownership, never YOUR cabin.

I don't believe my reasoning was that specific; only that it felt more like a wilderness cabin was being described, not an airplane cabin. Maybe 'a' caused me to subconsciously think that, but couldn't say for certain.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I have a feeling the writers knew the specific quote would be somewhat misleading and wanted the contestants to have to make that leap. I think it's fair, just a little devious.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

goongas wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 pm I take back my initial praise of Aaron yesterday. His delivery is putting me to sleep...I don't know what level of excitement I want in a host, I don't want Mike Richards excitement, that I know.
I'm halfway in agreement with you. Aaron is putting me to sleep and I KNOW I don't want him on any regular basis. However I hardly think Mike's level of energy was excessive. Certainly not crazy, Let's-Make-A-Deal manic energy. I still think Mike has been head and shoulders better than any of the other replacement wannabes we've seen.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:53 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:04 pm What was with the British Labor party clue? Brandon answered 'Labor', and hearing crickets, specified "The Labor Party". The writers should have had that on the card as a good answer.
*cough* Labour *uncough*
Good one. :oops: In my haste to post about it first I fourgot to cheque my spelling. :(
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:11 pm The last time I was on a plane it had a the cabin.
That's a great example of a situation where you would say "a cabin". But you would never say "The last time I was on a plane, I was in a cabin" unless you're being silly or clever. E.g. answering the question "When's the last time you were in a cabin"?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:50 pm I have a feeling the writers knew the specific quote would be somewhat misleading and wanted the contestants to have to make that leap. I think it's fair, just a little devious.
I feel it would only be fair if what they were quoting was good English. I don't think it is. That line should've been redacted by a good copy editor and never made it to print. I think if Caro had written it properly, the clue would have been fair but a little devious. I think there still would have been many boardies who did not make the leap from "the cabin" to "the cabin [of the plane]". I would have been one who did make that leap.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:19 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:50 pm I have a feeling the writers knew the specific quote would be somewhat misleading and wanted the contestants to have to make that leap. I think it's fair, just a little devious.
I feel it would only be fair if what they were quoting was good English. I don't think it is.
I think it may be misleading, but I don't think it's grammatically incorrect. LBJ was in a cabin when he was sworn in as president.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:23 pm I'm embarrassed to admit I never made the connection between "cabin" and Air Force One.
I made it as far as thinking, "Hmm, what if they don't mean a dwelling kind of cabin? Did any anyone take the oath while on a ship?"

Didn't get to an aircraft, and wound up on TR. I have a disturbing image of a writer seeing the quote, rubbing his or her hands and thinking, "Oh, we'll get them with this one." I like challenging FJs, but I consider this one as on the borderline between "challenging" and "deliberately and maliciously misleading."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:37 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:19 pm
I feel it would only be fair if what they were quoting was good English. I don't think it is.
I think it may be misleading, but I don't think it's grammatically incorrect. LBJ was in a cabin when he was sworn in as president.
The grammar's fine, sure.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:50 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:23 pm I'm embarrassed to admit I never made the connection between "cabin" and Air Force One.
I made it as far as thinking, "Hmm, what if they don't mean a dwelling kind of cabin? Did any anyone take the oath while on a ship?"

Didn't get to an aircraft,
Remind me what your avatar means? :lol:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:50 pmI like challenging FJs, but I consider this one as on the borderline between "challenging" and "deliberately and maliciously misleading."
Seems fair, and which side of the line you place it on may depend on if and how you were misled. Some here were passively misled. They didn't get around to thinking about LBJ and an alternative meaning for "cabin". The phrasing may have been part of the reason. I'm (alone?) in the camp that was actively misled. That is, I considered LBJ and the airplane meaning of "cabin", but I rejected the possibility because it didn't fit the meaning of "a cabin" in that context.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:47 pm ...
And don't use an article that implies ownership, never YOUR cabin.
But if you do use a possessive pronoun, choose properly.

"Your cabin or mine" is fine on a cruise ship, but on a boat or a plane use HER cabin.
OCSam
davey

Post by davey »

Maybe Caro's point, or meaning, is that it was an isolated cabin separate from "the cabin" that other passengers were in. Like on a ship (or a train?) Considering he was now President of the United States, and all. Maybe the preceding sentences clarify that.
ADDENDUM: They don't, but I can't blame the clue's treachery on Robert Caro. "A cabin" evokes the emptiness and bleakness of the moment. The elided part is interesting, and could have helped.

https://books.google.com/books?id=rQO5g ... 22&f=false