Wednesday, April 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought it was sort of strange that all three included Ms. Borden's first name (or some variant thereof).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:42 pm I thought it was sort of strange that all three included Ms. Borden's first name (or some variant thereof).
I think I would have. I'm 100% confident that I know Borden's first (nick)name. There's pretty much zero chance I'm wrong. I'm almost 100% confident that there are no other arguably plausible responses with the last name Borden (which would necessitate writing a first name to specify which one). But there's a tiny tiny tiny chance I'm forgetting someone. So there's a tiny tiny bit less risk in putting the first name down.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:08 pm Btw, for future reference: The capital of Ghana is pronounced "uh-CRAW" or "ah-CRAH", not "ACK-ruh" or "AWK-ruh"
I've got to be the only person here--if not in the universe--who said Accra for the $400 clue that wanted Dhaka. At least I got it right two clues later, though apparently I've been mispronouncing it along with the rest of youse.

LT: Mambo Kings, Kingsford, Piper; oxygen.
Wouldn't mind seeing the grandmaster clue in the poll--that was the only one to stump me in Chess Terms.

Read a few of those Guardians of Ga'Hoole books to my daughter years ago. They start off all right but iirc the series takes a major plunge in quality about three books in. We stopped reading after four or five; till now I had no idea she'd written 16, or that Zach Snyder directed an animated film based on the first three.
In and out of the pool four times
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:59 pm Yeah, I had nothing on this FJ! Could be anyone.
Well, as long as anyone = a woman in New Hampshire who was accused of doing something worse than shoplifting ;)
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

floridagator wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:21 pm FJ was an instaget. I knew Lizzie Borden's murders took place in New Bedford, Massachusetts, which is Rhode Island adjacent. Also notorious from New Bedford was the gang rape which was dramatized in the movie The Accused, for which Jodie Foster won an Oscar.
The murders took place in Fall River. The trial was in New Bedford. There was an element of New England geography in the clue that perhaps was not obvious to non-locals—Fall River is situated on the Rhode Island border (and once included part of Tiverton, RI, over the border).
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Was thinking of Lizzy Borden's crime, wrote down Carrie Nation instead. Grrrr.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The way Rodgers pronounced Borden, with the stress on the second syllable, as if to emphasize that an E was used in the name, followed immediately by announcing a misspelling, had me questioning what the actual surname spelling was--Bordin? Bordon? Bordan?

Anyway, it's always a good time to bring up this tweet:

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:39 am Was thinking of Lizzy Borden's crime, wrote down Carrie Nation instead. Grrrr.

Carry Nation also used an axe so that might have caused the mistake. Her crimes were a bit later and further west.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:18 pm The way Rodgers pronounced Borden, with the stress on the second syllable, as if to emphasize that an E was used in the name, followed immediately by announcing a misspelling, had me questioning what the actual surname spelling was--Bordin? Bordon? Bordan?
That was my thinking, too. Odd mention, regardless.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Apparently, I have a hole in my knowledge big enough to drive an ax (or, to start another spelling kerfuffle, is it axe??) murderer through. Or maybe NOT an axe murderer since she was acquitted. At any rate, I didn't get this one and had no idea who to write down. Blank screen for me today, which I try to avoid since those are always wrong. I even had to pause the video to look at all three answers to spot the spelling difference. Was focusing on the last name instead of the first. And I think it's fine to mention the spelling just to be clear that it wasn't something that was overlooked.

As to the chemicals making up water, I didn't know which one they were looking for, so was waiting for a rebound to pick the other. Couldn't get it from the other info in the clue. I have a suspicion I wasn't the only one doing that. Some of them may have even been in front of a TV camera.
--Peter
Golf

Post by Golf »

Lavoisier is a Pavlov for oxygen.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:55 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:42 pm I thought it was sort of strange that all three included Ms. Borden's first name (or some variant thereof).
I think I would have. I'm 100% confident that I know Borden's first (nick)name. There's pretty much zero chance I'm wrong. I'm almost 100% confident that there are no other arguably plausible responses with the last name Borden (which would necessitate writing a first name to specify which one). But there's a tiny tiny tiny chance I'm forgetting someone. So there's a tiny tiny bit less risk in putting the first name down.
Since the host can't BMS a FJ, I thought they tried to avoid questions where there could be a legitimate BMS (which is why I rejected Roosevelt for the cabin final). In this case, I think it was just because everyone was 100% like that - there's some sort of murderer rule in society where they're always referenced as specifically as possible - including middle names. Though admittedly I did not know that Lizzie Borden's middle name was Andrew.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Hispanic Americans $1000 and the Bottom Two in Business.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni