Wednesday, April 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:59 pm Yeah, I had nothing on this FJ! Could be anyone.
The answer said it was a woman so that eliminates half the possibilities right there.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:53 pm If a woman on the wrong side of the law in New England in the 1890s comes up again are there any other legitimate options for the FJ! round when the category is NOTORIOUS? Nellie Bly would not fit the category and I can't find anything illegal Ma Barker did in her teens.
That part doesn't make Ma Barker a terrible guess, just a wrong one. Her association with the midwest rather than the northeast would steer me away from guessing her on this clue.

Another notorious woman who fits the timeframe would be "Typhoid" Mary Mallon. She ran through my head briefly but I wasn't even close to dumping Lizzie Borden for her. If I'd settled on her, I'd have spent my time wondering if just "Typhoid Mary" was acceptable or if they'd insist on a last name. My best guess for that was "Malone" which would probably be ruled incorrect even in the pre Berry/Barry era. Unless Mallon and Malone are pronounced the same in Ireland. On the whole, if I'd gone that way, I think I'd have stuck with "Typhoid Mary" with 95% confidence that I wouldn't be ruled incorrect for leaving off the last name. And of course, I'd have been right about that.

In any event, Typhoid Mary's definitely one to keep in mind for turn-of-the century American females who could be labeled "notorious". And remember her last name was Mallon, just in case.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Nice to see another public radio contestant. Well-played game all around. Briefly considered Emma Goldman but ruled her out and got to Borden in plenty of time. This game seemed high in LT.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:53 pm If a woman on the wrong side of the law in New England in the 1890s comes up again are there any other legitimate options for the FJ! round when the category is NOTORIOUS? Nellie Bly would not fit the category and I can't find anything illegal Ma Barker did in her teens.

It almost seems to me that a non-author or non-suffragette woman in the 1890s is going to be Lizzie Borden. Marie Curie or Mata Hari aren't going to be in Rhode Island.
eta - the Penguin scooped me while I was doing my research. You think they are slow, but in the water they can fly!

How about Typhoid Mary? I almost stopped there but thought of the axe rhyme and had to back into Lizzy (my new preferred spelling in honor of the fine representation by Amy). BTW, it seems the typhoid outbreak was in 1907ish.

I struggled with the Science category just due to clue syntax - the thing that IBM Watson had to master.
400) If I could have decrypted the question, I would have picked Hydrogen for the water component - because Priestley discovered Oxygen. TIL that Joseph Priestley has competition for claiming credit. And that Lavoisier cribbed the other guy's notes.
800) there's hormones in the poop processing system? Why? (don't answer that). I would have said enzymes, even though secretin doesn't end in -ase. Good job Amy!
1200) fault, scarp, tremors, earthquake - EARTHQUAKE - oops, that's in the clue. Time's up. Good Job again Amy!
1600) finally "very high energy" is enough for Gamma rays.
2000) My brain said "Austral- (o,a,?) - pithicus. No telling how badly I would slur it to try to fake it :).

Brandon will have to break the Thursday jinx to keep going.

Aaron is moving the chains. A little more inflection and no mistakes. I thought that it was "Borden" that was mis-spelled or there would be no need to mention it. I'm sure he would like to have that one back but there is no hard count in Jeopardy to give you free shots.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

FJ was an instaget. I knew Lizzie Borden's murders took place in New Bedford, Massachusetts, which is Rhode Island adjacent. Also notorious from New Bedford was the gang rape which was dramatized in the movie The Accused, for which Jodie Foster won an Oscar.

I messed up with Ghana. I was ready to not fall into the Lagos to Abuja trap. But that was Nigeria, not Ghana.

Give Aaron Rodgers a break. He's new to this. He isn't going to deliver the host's lines with the finesse of Alex Trebek, who did it for 37 years, and had already had more than a decade of experience as a game show host when he started on Jeopardy. Rodgers's bit isn't to be genial. He needs people to be afraid of him.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DisneyFor2000Alex
Contributor

Post by DisneyFor2000Alex »

BTW, thanks to all of you for your tact in not mentioning my stupid wagering. All the preparation was for naught as my brain took a hiatus at that point. In the moment (and honestly, in my memory until it aired) for some reason I decided that Brandon’s and Sebastian’s scores were close enough that Brandon’s bet to cover Sebastian would take him below my score if he was wrong! Oops. Color me relieved that it didn’t matter.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:16 pm eta - the Penguin scooped me while I was doing my research. You think they are slow, but in the water they can fly!
After my conversations in yesterday's thread, I'm just glad for this confirmation that sometimes other boardies are thinking the same way I am. Even if it's just you, twelvefootboy. :)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

DisneyFor2000Alex wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:34 pm BTW, thanks to all of you for your tact in not mentioning my stupid wagering. All the preparation was for naught as my brain took a hiatus at that point. In the moment (and honestly, in my memory until it aired) for some reason I decided that Brandon’s and Sebastian’s scores were close enough that Brandon’s bet to cover Sebastian would take him below my score if he was wrong! Oops. Color me relieved that it didn’t matter.
No kidding! That would've been an awful way to go out. And thanks for the reminder that what contestants do under the lights can't be used to draw conclusions about how they prepared. I know that even sitting here on the couch, I sometimes do goofy wagering math that makes perfect sense in the moment. Later on, not so much. :)

Anyway, you looked great up there and I hope you had a good time and that the online viewing party was a blast.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

40R. 2/4 on big clues. I didn't actually get Kabul in time but I'm sure I would have and I'm counting it. Missed The Producers and said Cabaret. The use of the song Where Did We Go Right? made sense right afterwards. Wrote down Ma Barker for FJ. If I had thought of Lizzie Borden I would have put that down.

I got the Tyler Durden clue. I'm not sure if Volante made a Fight Club reference in yesterday's thread or if he was only making a grammar comment. Maybe both.

Would have missed Piper by saying Lear on the rebound.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Fatal Attraction, toque, luminol, Joan Collins, and The Mambo Kings.

Is there more than one type of toque? I'm a little confused after looking it up. One source says it's basically a Canadian term for what Americans would call a beanie. I didn't think it was, but is a Chef's hat just a beanie?

All three players and Rodgers did really well.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:50 pm Would have missed Piper by saying Lear on the rebound.
The name is Learjet (OK, fine, it's Bombardier Learjet), not Lear. Lear doesn't do airplanes.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

econgator wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:55 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:50 pm Would have missed Piper by saying Lear on the rebound.
The name is Learjet (OK, fine, it's Bombardier Learjet), not Lear. Lear doesn't do airplanes.
Ah, thanks. I think I was mixing something up. It's worth knowing there are two completely separate companies Lear and Learjet (subsidiary of Bombardier Aerospace).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:50 pm I got the Tyler Durden clue. I'm not sure if Volante made a Fight Club reference in yesterday's thread or if he was only making a grammar comment. Maybe both.
(Yep, it was a Fight Club reference)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:44 pm Amy got needlessly clowned on by the host for spelling slightly off (on the first name) when in that particular case I don't think it warranted a mention.
After this season's Barry vs. Berry kerfuffle I'm not sure I agree.
opusthepenguin wrote:Another notorious woman who fits the timeframe would be "Typhoid" Mary Mallon.
Agreed. I thought of Lizzy Borden immediately, but Typhoid Mary ran through my head. She's also an interesting case for those who haven't read the full story.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Unfortunately I was spoiled on the FJ! response by a too-quick click in the daily thread, so I won't know how I would have fared, but I think my chances at arriving at the right response would have been poor. The category name would have led me to an outlaw, like Bonnie Parker (born 1910, it turns out) or Pearl Heart or Laura Bullion or Rose Dunn. Once you start thinking of the myriad Old West outlaws who wouldn't have been too old or dead you can quickly get lost in the mire. The mention of a locale East means nothing--it's not like most of those Old West characters didn't start in the East and make their way West, and maybe she even had to go West to escape a criminal reputation back East? I may even have briefly considered but discounted Borden because my image of her is of a cloistered, upper-class girl. Why would she even be out shopping, or otherwise in a place where she could be accused of shoplifting? Wouldn't that be something for the servants to do? Anyway, the word "notorious" would have led me to an outlaw who stayed on the lam for a prolonged period of time, not somebody who committed (allegedly!) one awful crime, was promptly caught and tried.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Btw, for future reference: The capital of Ghana is pronounced "uh-CRAW" or "ah-CRAH", not "ACK-ruh" or "AWK-ruh"
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:08 pm Btw, for future reference: The capital of Ghana is pronounced "uh-CRAW" or "ah-CRAH", not "ACK-ruh" or "AWK-ruh"
All I know is it tastes great in gumbo!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:01 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:55 pm
Ah, thanks. I think I was mixing something up. It's worth knowing there are two completely separate companies Lear and Learjet (subsidiary of Bombardier Aerospace).
Which reminded me of a "current" event I should have posted at least a month ago. q.v.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:10 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:08 pm Btw, for future reference: The capital of Ghana is pronounced "uh-CRAW" or "ah-CRAH", not "ACK-ruh" or "AWK-ruh"
All I know is it tastes great in gumbo!
Good to have you back :lol:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:05 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:44 pm Amy got needlessly clowned on by the host for spelling slightly off (on the first name) when in that particular case I don't think it warranted a mention.
After this season's Barry vs. Berry kerfuffle I'm not sure I agree.
Great point. A year ago I'd have been 100% certain that Lizzy would be accepted for Lizzie. After Barry/Berry and prior to this game settling the issue, I'd have been 98% or 99%.