Monday, April 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, April 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:32 am
alietr wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:18 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:10 pm I don't remember the Munich Olympics at all, except maybe Mark Spitz.
Um, seriously? Nothing else?
Seriously. I was 6 years old. Everything else I learned about the '72 Olympics, I learned later on.
I wasn't born yet, so everything I know about Munich is from the Spielberg movie.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:56 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:32 am
alietr wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:18 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:10 pm I don't remember the Munich Olympics at all, except maybe Mark Spitz.
Um, seriously? Nothing else?
Seriously. I was 6 years old. Everything else I learned about the '72 Olympics, I learned later on.
I wasn't born yet, so everything I know about Munich is from the Spielberg movie.
For the Munich games I was 8 (close to 9) and my only clear memory is how upset my dad and uncle were at the basketball game. As to the tragic events I was only vaguely aware something bad was happening though had no understanding of the details.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Leander wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:00 pm Australia came to me almost immediately. Took a little work to come up with Germany.
Australia came to me as well, almost immediately. I stopped looking for the other one so I'm not sure I would have come up with Germany within 30 seconds.

Old-Guy Champ looked strong like bull today in winning second game very nicely. Go Old Guy! Always gives me hope to see someone with a little gray in his/her hair winning J!.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I like clues that require someone to figure it out. Anything higher than a 1 on Bloom's taxonomy. I got Australia pretty quickly.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Australia was nearly instant for me. Took considerably longer to come up with Germany.

For the record, the countries with at least two cities to host a winter Olympics are:
U.S. (Lake Placid, Squaw Valley, Salt Lake City)
France (Chamonix, Grenoble, Albertville)
Norway (Oslo, Lillehammer)
Italy (Cortina, Turin)
Canada (Calgary, Vancouver)
Japan (Sapporo, Nagano)
ACW

Post by ACW »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:18 pm Australia was nearly instant for me. Took considerably longer to come up with Germany.

For the record, the countries with at least two cities to host a winter Olympics are:
Italy (Cortina, Turin)
Japan (Sapporo, Nagano)
Any city (not country, but CITY) that's hosted both a winter and summer Olympics?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

ACW wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:41 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:18 pm Australia was nearly instant for me. Took considerably longer to come up with Germany.

Italy (Cortina, Turin)
Japan (Sapporo, Nagano)
Any city (not country, but CITY) that's hosted both a winter and summer Olympics?
Beijing will be the first with the 2022 Winter games.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:27 pm Basically most Summer Olympic hosts are either the capital or the largest city in a country: Rome/Tokyo/Mexico City/Seoul/Sydney/Athens/Beijing/London/Rio. The ones that don't fit this since 1960 are Munich, Montreal, L.A., Barcelona, Atlanta.
Rio is the second-largest city in Brazil.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'm here a day late to bring down the FJ percentage. My first thought was AUSTRALIA - Melbourne and uh, Sidney? Why couldn't I remember anything about Sidney, since it had to be in my adult lifetime? If I'm going to not remember an Olympics, it might as well be in Canada to go with the Montreal sure thing. Calgary, nope, Winter. Vancouver, nope Winter?

I'm assuming I don't remember the Sydney games because the US broadcast had become unwatchable to me. Some field event finals in track? Let's spend the evening watching abused children do an exhibition floor routine in children's gymnastics. When we do get to the track, let's spend 29 minutes on a human interest story for each minute of action. And follow the outmatched American in the event. Finally, show one throw or jump in a field event while talking about something else.

It was a nice FJ clue. I would have got both countries with a couple minutes of cogitation. I have flashbacks of the Sydney Opera House in every camera shot and some kind of time warped schedule for watching on multiple channels.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:19 pm I'm here a day late to bring down the FJ percentage. My first thought was AUSTRALIA - Melbourne and uh, Sidney? Why couldn't I remember anything about Sidney, since it had to be in my adult lifetime? If I'm going to not remember an Olympics, it might as well be in Canada to go with the Montreal sure thing. Calgary, nope, Winter. Vancouver, nope Winter?

I'm assuming I don't remember the Sydney games because the US broadcast had become unwatchable to me. Some field event finals in track? Let's spend the evening watching abused children do an exhibition floor routine in children's gymnastics. When we do get to the track, let's spend 29 minutes on a human interest story for each minute of action. And follow the outmatched American in the event. Finally, show one throw or jump in a field event while talking about something else.

It was a nice FJ clue. I would have got both countries with a couple minutes of cogitation. I have flashbacks of the Sydney Opera House in every camera shot and some kind of time warped schedule for watching on multiple channels.
It would be quite easy to disparage the NBC Olympic coverage without making light of real-life abuse scandals that have happened in gymnastics and also without dismissing the entire sport which contains phenomenal athletes as a "children's exhibition".
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

theFJguy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:31 pm Coryats
Dennis: 25200
Drew: 4800
Allison: 7400

Combined: 37,200
Those add up to 37,400. You have it right in the archive. (Am I correct in assuming theFJguy is a MarkBarrett alter ego?)
seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:46 pm The "they call me" TOM for the soda took me in a different direction, as I thought Donovan instead of Poitier and went to Mello Yello. I don't think I would have rung in on it, because "cherryish" isn't how I understood its flavor to be, but I said it aloud at home and felt pretty sheepish.
That's pretty funny--I wonder if the writers were aware of it. Both references even date back to about 1967.
Didn't Mello Yello (like Mountain Dew, iirc) have tons of caffeine, well before Red Bull-type energy drinks hit the market?
I was hoping a contestant would do Poitier's forceful delivery. "They call it Mr. Pibb!"
davey wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:29 pm I recently learned of the "candy" in American Food...$800 when I received this picture as an advertisement. My question: Who's buying this?? At best, it looks like he's peddling sea monster parts... :roll:
Smoked salmon is unbelievably tasty. Pretty sure I'd say that even were I not a PNW native.
In and out of the pool four times
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

reddpen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:22 am
theFJguy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:31 pm Coryats
Dennis: 25200
Drew: 4800
Allison: 7400

Combined: 37,200
Those add up to 37,400. You have it right in the archive. (Am I correct in assuming theFJguy is a MarkBarrett alter ego?)
37,400, fixed, thanks. Yes, same guys.
davey

Post by davey »

reddpen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:22 am
davey wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:29 pm I recently learned of the "candy" in American Food...$800 when I received this picture as an advertisement. My question: Who's buying this?? At best, it looks like he's peddling sea monster parts... :roll:
Smoked salmon is unbelievably tasty. Pretty sure I'd say that even were I not a PNW native.
I agree, and (not to beat a dead fish), I intend no comment on smoked salmon. I'm not even commenting on salmon jerky or "candy." I'm commenting on that unappetizing photograph... :roll:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:42 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:19 pm I'm here a day late to bring down the FJ percentage. My first thought was AUSTRALIA - Melbourne and uh, Sidney? Why couldn't I remember anything about Sidney, since it had to be in my adult lifetime? If I'm going to not remember an Olympics, it might as well be in Canada to go with the Montreal sure thing. Calgary, nope, Winter. Vancouver, nope Winter?

It would be quite easy to disparage the NBC Olympic coverage without making light of real-life abuse scandals that have happened in gymnastics and also without dismissing the entire sport which contains phenomenal athletes as a "children's exhibition".
I suppose NBC got the demographics they wanted. They were part of the exploitation as much as their viewers, ever since Olga and Nadia. I think this women's gymnastics part of my manifesto was the worst element of their coverage.

I'm the last person to dismiss gymnastics as a hurdler and pole vaulter with no flexibility :). Gymnastics is almost synonymous with athleticism. Only the decathlon is more immediately associated with the term. I try to be careful not to dismiss or diminish sports/games participants. Sumo wrestlers, hell yeah good athletes. Try a 320 lb. man spinning a 16 lb hammer 2.5 rotations inside a 7 foot circle :).

The referenced TV coverage did happen. It might not have been at the Sydney Olympics, but a meaningless exhibition event (I think a "thank you" performance) literally happened at one Olympics and was televised instead of important T&F coverage. We only got attention once every four years and that was taken away from us (in the ancient pre-internet past).

A good friend's daughter is a top College gymnast at Pitt State. The sport made some progress about 20 years ago with age limits and if they can get through this pervert coach/doctor scandal phase, it will continue to fill a niche, especially from Title IX standpoint. It will be just fine if the performance level decreases to a new, sustainable norm. Secretariat set the Kentucky Derby record 50 years ago and that doesn't make diminish the modern sport (all the horse deaths at Santa Anita are not helping however :( )

End of Debbie Downer / Karen whine :) We are free from the oppression, except we can't go to Japan this year :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
earendel

Post by earendel »

reddpen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:22 amOr Pumbaa from "The Lion King": "They call me MR. PIG!"
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

"V" seems early in the alphabet for an "alphabetically last" clue. I thought of the Yazoo, which was part of the Vicksburg campaign. It is in fact a national wild life refuge, though Yukon beats it for alphabetically late.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:54 am The referenced TV coverage did happen. It might not have been at the Sydney Olympics, but a meaningless exhibition event (I think a "thank you" performance) literally happened at one Olympics and was televised instead of important T&F coverage. We only got attention once every four years and that was taken away from us (in the ancient pre-internet past).
As a swimmer I have the same angst. At least they do manage to show almost all the swimming finals in their entirety, however the longest race is the 1500 freestyle and it only takes 15 minutes for the men and closer to 16 for the women. NBC can't wait to take a commercial break more or less right after the swimmers dive in. It's hard for me to believe they can't show an entire 15 minute race without breaking for commercials. :(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Lefty wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:22 am "V" seems early in the alphabet for an "alphabetically last" clue. I thought of the Yazoo, which was part of the Vicksburg campaign. It is in fact a national wild life refuge, though Yukon beats it for alphabetically late.
Another yahoo here who said Yazoo. I agree V is a bit early, a Civil War mention would have been more helpful.

I had Germany for FJ. The West Germany bit did concern me but nothing else was coming. I probably get both on a LL question.

Germany first came to mind because the 1936 games are pretty iconic in Olympic history with the Owens/Hitler connection. Munich had the murders and the basketball game. Nothing really stands out to me on either Australia games.

I was five during the Munich games so none of it is first hand to me. The 1976 games are the first I remember with Nadia Comaneci and Bruce Jenner.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:55 pm
Lefty wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:22 am "V" seems early in the alphabet for an "alphabetically last" clue. I thought of the Yazoo, which was part of the Vicksburg campaign. It is in fact a national wild life refuge, though Yukon beats it for alphabetically late.
Another yahoo here who said Yazoo. I agree V is a bit early, a Civil War mention would have been more helpful.
Would a "Civil War" mention actually help given the OP that Yazoo was part of said Civil War engagement?
Because the clue did say 'military park' in it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Volante wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:30 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:55 pm
Would a "Civil War" mention actually help given the OP that Yazoo was part of said Civil War engagement?
Because the clue did say 'military park' in it.
I think he meant in place of "alphabetically last", which, IMO, makes it tougher than simply "MIssissippi military park" would have been. I know that "T" comes even earlier in the alphabet and that Trenton is nonetheless last among state capitals, but that is because that's a trivia chestnut I've remembered.

An esteemed five-day champ once offered a hypothetical FJ of "among state capitals west of the Mississippi, it is last alphabetically", and the hypothetical comment "what? You didn't know that it's Topeka, Kansas? I guess you're not Jeopardy! material".
I'm smart and I want respect.