Monday, April 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OLYMPIC HOSTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Aside from the United States, one of the 2 countries with 2 different cities that have hosted the Summer Olympics

Dennis Chase: 20000+2500=22500 (2x = $48,400)
Drew Fox: 3200-3152=48
Allison Means: 7400+7300=14700

Correct response:
Spoiler
(1 of) Germany or Australia (Dennis – Germany) (Drew – S. Korea) (Alison – Australia)

Daily Doubles
Drew: 1600-1600
Dennis: 9600+3400
Dennis: 27000-7000

Coryats
Dennis: 25200
Drew: 4800
Allison: 7400

Combined: 37,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dennis: 8400
Drew: 0
Allison: 3000
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Drew contradicted Aaron during chat about how old he was when hitchhiking. The ghost of Alex must have smiled at Drew not having a strong game.

The players don't have MTV shows on their study list? ;) I would have asked for a $4000 clue in that COUNTING ON TELEVISION category.

The FJ! category had me going over Winter cities when I would have been better off reviewing the Summer ones.

The FJ! clue had me try a speed solve as I wrote Japan when I saw 2 different cities. Oops, I then matched Allison for a lock solve once I took in the clue in its entirety with the important Summer part. I could have put the pen down, but instead felt it necessary to figure out the other one. I got to Dennis's choice as well and would have written both countries since they were certainties.

Nice luxury by Dennis to lose 7 large on DD3 and still have a lock. If he had solved it to have $34K for FJ! then I suspect he would have bet more than just the 2500 he ended up adding to his total.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

I went the easy route and picked Germany.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I went the easy route and picked Australia.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Technically, it was West Germany, so that's a bit tricky.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Mrs. Penguin observed that, just like Fox Mulder, Drew prefers to go by his last name.

For FJ I came up with the easy one, Australia, and could name both cities. I tried to think of the other one but couldn't decide. I do think the whole Berlin, Germany and Munich, West Germany thing is a little problematic. I understand that an argument can be made for considering them both the same country. I might even come down on that side myself. But a solid argument can be made against it as well.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:07 pm I went the easy route and picked Australia.
Ditto
Leander

Post by Leander »

Australia came to me almost immediately. Took a little work to come up with Germany.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

tough one with NPs and Bonneville for the Canadian.

Bonneville, I wouldn't say is that well-known here from my social circle. Don't know how everyone else feels.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm never gonna get another FJ! right again, am I...
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:08 pm I'm never gonna get another FJ! right again, am I...
When in doubt, the most frequent correct response on Jeopardy! is Australia.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Geograsea, Brit History, Double Talk,
DDs: :D :D :( (trying to think of Yazoo City)
trash: Pity, Bonneville DD, Tyrrhenian (2400)
FJ: What is Australia? :mrgreen: (Melbourne & Sydney)
Leander

Post by Leander »

CyrusChan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:02 pm tough one with NPs and Bonneville for the Canadian.

Bonneville, I wouldn't say is that well-known here from my social circle. Don't know how everyone else feels.
Salt flats gave this one to me. Bonneville Salt Flats well known as the site for many world land speed records.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

ACW wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:17 pm Technically, it was West Germany, so that's a bit tricky.
By its wording, the clue didn't ask for countries that have hosted the Summer Olympics in two different cites, just countries with two different cities that have hosted the Summer Olympics. Berlin and Munich are both in present-day Germany.

I was all set to guess France when I considered Germany, where I could name the two cities and years and I only needed one so that was it. Would have never come up with Melbourne/Australia.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:13 pm When in doubt, the most frequent correct response on Jeopardy! is Australia.
I thought it was Germany when in doubt, but it works either way.

I also thought the DJ board was one of the easiest boards I've seen in a while.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:03 pm Mrs. Penguin observed that, just like Fox Mulder, Drew prefers to go by his last name.

For FJ I came up with the easy one, Australia, and could name both cities. I tried to think of the other one but couldn't decide. I do think the whole Berlin, Germany and Munich, West Germany thing is a little problematic. I understand that an argument can be made for considering them both the same country. I might even come down on that side myself. But a solid argument can be made against it as well.
Yeah I don't think there is any issue with the clue as written. It's stated in the present tense, Germany does currently have two cities that have hosted the Olympics.

I also thought Germany was the more obvious one, due to Munich being more modern than Melbourne. I had Germany instantly and would've written it down before the music started, came up with Australia bit later before the music ended. Basically most Summer Olympic hosts are either the capital or the largest city in a country: Rome/Tokyo/Mexico City/Seoul/Sydney/Athens/Beijing/London/Rio. The ones that don't fit this since 1960 are Munich, Montreal, L.A., Barcelona, Atlanta. No Toronto or Madrid games and the U.S. cities are ruled out by the question, so Munich paired with the famous 1936 Berlin games starring Jesse Owens locks it in.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:29 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:07 pm I went the easy route and picked Australia.
Ditto
Tritto

The weird thing is I remember seeing this question not too long ago (like...days ago) somewhere... (Only two countries to host two summer olympics in two different cities)

Rodgers -really- impressed me today. Especially with his (abridging) "they start with s" remark. Definitely watched the tape to be able to drop that in after only a day.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)