Rest of Season 37, Changes & Predictions for Season 38

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Rest of Season 37, Changes & Predictions for Season 38

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Now that we're in the middle of April, we have three or four months left of Season 37 (assuming the season will end mid-August because we had two weeks of reruns in December — Alex's travel-based episodes). And I think it's time to discuss what is in store for the rest of Season 37, and more importantly, what changes we'll see for Season 38.

Remainder of this season:

- Obviously, we'll continue seeing more guest hosts.
- Due to Covid restrictions, there has not yet been a single tournament this season; but maybe, the ToC will air in May. And perhaps there'll be a teacher's tournament as well.
- If there's no tournament at all this season, this would be the first time since Season 1 that this has occurred.

Next season:

- The opening graphics will most certainly change, as they do every season.
- TPTB will probably have announced a new permanent host.

Possible changes for S38 aside from the aforementioned:

- The music package gets refreshed. It's almost long overdue for that to happen, especially since Wheel of Fortune introduced its current theme music four years ago. And as per Jeopardy! tradition, the music gets changed every 11-13 years. With a new host, I think it would make sense for the theme and think music to get re-arranged soon, rather than keep the current version (it's been in use since S25).
- With a lot of people getting vaccinated against Covid-19, maybe studio audiences will return but in phases. Phase 1 could be only permitting contestants from a particular taping day to be in the audience, and then phase 2 is allowing the general public to attend tape sessions.
- Also with the vaccinations, it's possible that the contestant lecterns are spaced closer together again like they were before Covid.
- An entirely new set I think is totally out of the question for now. The current set was introduced at the start of Season 30 in 2013, but since it was slightly modified for Covid this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see it in use at least one more season. Afterall, the Ken Jennings set was modified for HD in 2006 and remained in use until the end of Season 25.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Rest of Season 37, Changes & Predictions for Season 38

Post by Robert K S »

I agree that a new set is probably out of the question until they're read to space the lecterns together again, and I don't see that happening in Season 38.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For S37:
Young Sheldon presents a clue when Mayim Bialik hosts.
CNN Anchors present clues when Sanjay Gupta and/or Anderson Cooper are hosts.
Nothing about the body part of the eye comes up when Savannah Guthrie hosts.
The writers send some kind of message about LeVar Burton not guest hosting when Bill Whitaker hosts.
Ken Jennings guest hosts again.
Jimmy and Sarah do not guest host.
The ToC tapes and airs with the finals not being Jason, Jennifer, MacKenzie.
Ratings continue the expected slide from the height of Alex Trebek's last week and powers release a known Kraken.
More long-time J! staffers are working their last season.
Claire McNear writes another article about J!

For S38:
The new permanent host is known prior to July.
The new permanent host makes the rounds on talk shows and entertainment shows.
There is more than one tournament in the season.
New episodes air Dec. 20-24 & Dec. 27-31.
Some kind of change is implemented with money amounts whether board values or consolation prizes.
A relative of a ToCer appears as a contestant.
The easiest prediction of all - Some poor wagers will lose games.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:34 pm The writers send some kind of message about LeVar Burton not guest hosting when Bill Whitaker hosts.
The last Jeopardy! Round category of this game comes to mind.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

There's already another thread about what I'm going to mention, but it's been announced that they just taped the ToC, and it will air in May with 2017
ToC champion Buzzy Cohen guest hosting those episodes. Other than that, I don't know if there will be a Teachers Tournament this season; I suspect they'll resume it next season.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Claire McNear writes another article about J!

For S38:
The new permanent host is known prior to July.
The new permanent host makes the rounds on talk shows and entertainment shows.
There is more than one tournament in the season.
New episodes air Dec. 20-24 & Dec. 27-31.
Some kind of change is implemented with money amounts whether board values or consolation prizes.
A relative of a ToCer appears as a contestant.
The easiest prediction of all - Some poor wagers will lose games.

1) More than one tournament, that I see happening. In fact, it would be great to see a second installation of the Million Dollar Masters Tournament to commemorate the new host and bring back James Holzhauer, Brad Rutter (unless he guest hosts), and 13 (14 if Brad is ineligible) former champions from the Trebek Era, all of whom were initially on the program between Ken Jennings' original run and the last ToC (except Buzzy Cohen who's guest hosting this year's ToC). If not held in Season 38, perhaps have this tournament in Season 40 to commemorate that milestone for the syndicated version. And even though we're entering a new era, I wouldn't leave out any of the Trebek-era champions for future tournaments.

That being said, we definitely have to see the Teachers Tournament return next season, assuming it will not be held at all this season. Plus, the college championship and teen tournament have been rotating with one another from Season 34-36. In Seasons 34 & 36, there was a College Championship and no Teen Tournament; but in Season 35, there were two Teen Tournaments. So we will find out if in Season 38, both the College Championship and Teen Tournament are held.

2) I would not be surprised to see a ToCer's relative get on the show; in fact, I think it would be interesting if Melissa Holzhauer gets on the show.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I predict I will get The Call. If I don't bet on myself, who will??
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Judging by the guest host rotations, I think it's confirmed there will not be a Teachers Tournament in Season 37. But I could be wrong.
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

Any chance they'll stop the contestant interviews? This would be as good a time as ever to do it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

polaris wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:57 pm Any chance they'll stop the contestant interviews? This would be as good a time as ever to do it.
No chat segment? I would say it's a game show staple and not going to go away.

You would like to hear nothing from the players or about them? Or you would like to get it out of the way early like Wheel? Johnny's introductions are sufficient and onto the game?
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:13 pm
polaris wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:57 pm Any chance they'll stop the contestant interviews? This would be as good a time as ever to do it.
No chat segment? I would say it's a game show staple and not going to go away.

You would like to hear nothing from the players or about them? Or you would like to get it out of the way early like Wheel? Johnny's introductions are sufficient and onto the game?
Well, the only Wheel I watch is sometimes Pat and Vanna talking when I turn on the TV too early, so I can't speak to their meet the contestant portion.

I also can't speak to other games shows, but is it really standard practice to pause and spend several minutes hearing painfully awkward and/or excruciatingly boring stories from the contestants? (#NotAll, I know, but 80%+ of the time, I feel this way.) Then I guess it needs to stay. My mistake
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I like the chat segment. It gives me another 2-ish minutes to watch what's on my DVR.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Another thing I'd like to see for next season, now that COVID-19 restrictions are easing, is hold Power Players Week at DAR Constitution Hall in May 2022, as the midterm elections are next year. Two years ago, I was initially anticipating a Power Players Week being held in Season 36 because 2020 was a presidential election year; and Power Players Week was held in Seasons 28 & 32 since 2012 & 2016 were also presidential election years. And I figured it was going to be a Jeopardy! tradition to hold PPW during presidential election years. There was a PPW in 2004 during Season 20; but TPTB didn't hold the event at all in Season 24 despite there was a presidential election in 2008.

Partly because of COVID, there was no Power Players Week last season, or at any point during the year 2020.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t mind the interviews. Most are rather dull but I watch them anyway.

If we never have another Power Player or any celebrity week, that would be fine with me. Although a week of actual politicians would be fun. You’d have to use ones who aren’t on the ballot in 2022, but you’d still have plenty to choose from.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I enjoy the interviews myself... Of course they aren't always great, but at least they help one think the contestants aren't robotic trivia machines... And you get reminded where each player is from, which I like to hear. And I'm sure their friends and families do, too.

Power Players? Please do NOT ever bring that back... Celebrity weeks can get ashcanned, too. Teens, college, teachers, yup, bring those back.

And as I've said in other places, Mayim IS the proper choice. Hire her NOW.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:06 am
Power Players? Please do NOT ever bring that back... Celebrity weeks can get ashcanned, too. Teens, college, teachers, yup, bring those back.
Celebrity Jeopardy! used to be popular back in the 1990s and early 2000s, but it's been aired less and less as time went on (especially after Ken Jennings' original run in 2004).
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

I don't mind Power Players Week, I prefer it. I wish they'd be a little more strict on "Power Players" since some celebs in it are pushing it (Louis CK comes to mind.).

Jeopardy is really the only game show where I can tolerate celebrities for a week. Most people don't watch game shows to see celebrities. They watch to see the civilian flock win life changing amounts of money.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:04 pm I don't mind Power Players Week, I prefer it. I wish they'd be a little more strict on "Power Players" since some celebs in it are pushing it (Louis CK comes to mind.).

Jeopardy is really the only game show where I can tolerate celebrities for a week. Most people don't watch game shows to see celebrities. They watch to see the civilian flock win life changing amounts of money.
I thought Celebrity Wheel of Fortune earlier this year was good and I’m glad it’s coming back for a second season.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Nerdy celebs I'd like to see on Jeopardy!--

Lin-Manuel Miranda
Stephen Colbert
Natalie Portman
Rosario Dawson
Anna Kendrick
Anne Hathaway
Mark Hamill
Simon Pegg
Patton Oswalt
Mila Kunis
Danica McKellar
Dave Bautista
Ryan Reynolds
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:07 am Nerdy celebs I'd like to see on Jeopardy!--

Lin-Manuel Miranda
Stephen Colbert
Natalie Portman
Rosario Dawson
Anna Kendrick
Anne Hathaway
Mark Hamill
Simon Pegg
Patton Oswalt
Mila Kunis
Danica McKellar
Dave Bautista
Ryan Reynolds
After listening to her excellent podcast, I'd add Gates McFadden to the list.