Wednesday, April 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

I also said drum major.

I suspect Kari pronounces her name Kaaaaree but didn't want to correct AR.

Here's a letter to the editor she wrote that was published just last week:
https://www.wctrib.com/opinion/letters/ ... a-bad-idea
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I can't remember what it was offhand, but there was another example of the closed captioner being either clueless or just plain terrible at it. It's a shame because previously, they would catch all sorts of nuances.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Don't care for FJ in that filmed the most is debatable, but I don't think they were going to get in the standard of what the definition of being filmed is. Major studio, animation...whatever within the clue.

They do define the number of lines and longest play. So there is only one answer that meets the clue.

What they are doing is trying to give you a second way to answer if you don't know the longest play. I guess that is alright.

I got Hamlet. I was pretty sure it was the longest play (I was concerned about Othello) and for being filmed a lot. I could think handful of filmed Hamlets, just like a handful of R&J. I thought there are people that don't know the longest play part that are going to take Romeo and Juliet.

I did this a while ago, and what I really remember was that Romeo didn't make the list. Hence Romeo and Juliet isn't all that long.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Volante wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:40 pm
mahatma wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:57 pm Well, you can't dispute it based on the length criterion, but I'd be curious what people think about the 'most filmed' part.
There's enough Hamlets that MST3K even spoofed one. (It's the full bit so...gray area, but you get four versions spotted for you before the first door sequence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1QSbz9wmm8
Personal trivia: one of the props shown in that same timespan I own (but I won't say yes even if you guess it, I'll just say, no, it's not one of the bots.)
Johnblue wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:24 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:31 pm Aaron Rodgers reacts to the contestants not knowing what an Adelie is (when spotted Batman villain):
Spoiler
I went to Antarctica 🇦🇶 4 years ago and I got to see every species of penguins except for emperors. Sweet stuff.
...were there Galapagos penguins on holiday there too?

Poll request: Mulholland (because I'm eeeeeevil)
Nope. They don’t like to summer too far south. I did see some penguin in Australia but they weren’t even up to my knee.

I drove Mulholland when I was out in LA in January because there wasn’t a whole lot else to do!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The list of Hamlet adaptations didn’t list this one.

Hamlet was my first thought and only briefly considered Othello.

Disappointed Aaron didn’t say Robert Burns with a Scottish brogue.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:10 am I can't remember what it was offhand, but there was another example of the closed captioner being either clueless or just plain terrible at it. It's a shame because previously, they would catch all sorts of nuances.
The first DD, where Kari said True DD, came out captioned as "to Daily Double".

For a show that used to pride itself on its captions, where the number of mistakes could be counted on a finger or two over the years, there have been at least three this week. Hopefully, the regular captioner is on vacation, and will be back soon.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:50 pm
Hamlet was my first thought and only briefly considered Othello.

Disappointed Aaron didn’t say Robert Burns with a Scottish brogue.

Scottish burr, Irish brogue.

Reviewing that Hamlet adaptation recently, it seemed to me they could have worked more of Shakespeare's language into the "Neither a borrow nor a lender be" song. For instance, say "borrow, and you will dull the edge of husbandry", but then, for symmetry's sake, you'd need to express "for loan oft loses both itself and friend" in six syllables maybe seven while rhyming with the previous line. I haven't come up with anything satisfactory so far.

Note to writing staff, re:

"This word for something impartial is also used in storybooks to describe a beautiful princess"

Something here doesn't belong.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My guess of Richard III wasn't as far off as I thought. It comes in at #4, and they likely wouldn't have asked about Coriolanus or Cymbeline (2 and 3).
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:11 am My guess of Richard III wasn't as far off as I thought. It comes in at #4, and they likely wouldn't have asked about Coriolanus or Cymbeline (2 and 3).
That was my stopping-off point after departing the correct answer, before arriving at R+J (based more on the 'most filmed' part of the clue since I wasn't sure enough about the length).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni