Wednesday, April 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Wednesday, April 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

Johnblue wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:22 pm R&J wasn’t even on my radar, no pun intended.
What pun?
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Arid? Judges?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Arid doesn't have anything to do with "deficient in oxygen", so I would rule no.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Picked Off wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:13 pm Arid? Judges?
That's not even by Shakespeare.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Titus Aridronicus
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mahatma wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:57 pm Well, you can't dispute it based on the length criterion, but I'd be curious what people think about the 'most filmed' part.
There's enough Hamlets that MST3K even spoofed one. (It's the full bit so...gray area, but you get four versions spotted for you before the first door sequence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1QSbz9wmm8
Personal trivia: one of the props shown in that same timespan I own (but I won't say yes even if you guess it, I'll just say, no, it's not one of the bots.)
Johnblue wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:24 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:31 pm Aaron Rodgers reacts to the contestants not knowing what an Adelie is (when spotted Batman villain):
Spoiler
I went to Antarctica 🇦🇶 4 years ago and I got to see every species of penguins except for emperors. Sweet stuff.
...were there Galapagos penguins on holiday there too?

Poll request: Mulholland (because I'm eeeeeevil)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. 3/4 on big clues. Missed FJ with Othello. I was reminded of the FJ from this game: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6527 The longest Shakespeare play was discussed in some extra footage commentary. That FJ was about the non-title Shakespeare character with the most lines and James' rationale in the commentary I saw was to pick a character from the longest play. I remembered wrong and Othello was not the longest play but had the non-title character with the most lines. I'll remember that now. If I had seen "most filmed Shakespeare play" without remembering all that then I would have simply guessed Hamlet. I've learned enough Spanish on Duolingo now that I was able to pick lavender over violet.

I added Peter Mark Roget and Noah Webster to my list of things I get confused. Whatever Thesaurus I had growing up either in school or at home was a Webster's Thesaurus and I've missed Roget a few times. I'm not actually sure if Noah Webster is the namesake of that one. I tried to Google "Webster Thesaurus namesake" and it started giving me synonyms for namesake.

Missed Daiquiri with Cuba Libre. Coca-Cola is mostly sugar. Sort of made sense. I missed Canis Major and said Ursa Major.

I usually do really well on Batman Villain categories. I played some of the Batman games (Arkham Asylum/Arkham City) and they were very good. They also introduce you to all the villains as bosses so you learn them very easily. Egghead wasn't in those games and Adelie didn't come up. Missed the penguin question. I've seen "Adelie Land" before but didn't think of it.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Orange Pekoe or Black Pekoe, Major Arcana, William Mulholland, Sarah Michelle Gellar/Freddie Prinze Jr., and John Cougar Mellencamp. Couldn't remember Cougar. The meme with Kevin posted by jeff6286 didn't help.
Picked Off wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:37 pm Titus Aridronicus
Timon of Arid.
Volante wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:40 pm Poll request: Mulholland (because I'm eeeeeevil)
Watch it poll at 80% for no apparent reason. At least for me that's what happens when I try to request a tough one. Who knew, everybody else knew Sununu.
Last edited by MattKnowles on Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

mahatma wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:34 pm The only possible correct answer to the question as written is Hamlet, but the second half of that question is sloppppppy.
I hope the head writer will verify her or his sources to confirm that the question was pinned with the desired level of J! accuracy, in case doing so helps with future clue-writing. I'm sure the writer thought the information was valid, but doing just a quick search online I can find one assertion that 50 Hamlets have been filmed, yet another list of Romeo & Juliets that exceeds 60, and that's not even counting "adaptations" that are R&J with some degree of tweaking. I'm sure that by some measure the clue as written is correct, but when the measure is (1) obviously obscure to the players and (2) not even required, given the first part of the clue, it seems silly to have included the obscure/disputable point at all.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Picked Off wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:37 pm Titus Aridronicus
:lol: You win.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:01 pm I usually do really well on Batman Villain categories. I played some of the Batman games (Arkham Asylum/Arkham City) and they were very good. They also introduce you to all the villains as bosses so you learn them very easily. Egghead wasn't in those games and Adelie didn't come up. Missed the penguin question. I've seen "Adelie Land" before but didn't think of it.
Egghead's a toughy now that I think back on it. Either you're a comics buff or a fan of the Adam West series. Doesn't show up in any of the live action movies and only cameos (if Wiki is to be believed) in one episode of the entire gamut of animated episodes (of which there are lots). The other four show up with reasonable frequency. All have at least one movie appearance, regulars in the animated shows, show up in the Gotham (TV) cast list.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had pekoe, but was confused by the wording of the clue. I thought pekoe was the "it" in the clause "when preceded by orange, it's a reference to the leaves, not the flavor" and clammed because I didn't understand how pekoe could refer to a flavor.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:01 pm...Othello was not the longest play but had the character with the most lines.
According to that FJ, Othello has the non-title character (Iago) with the most lines; Hamlet is still the longest play, and he has the most lines.
In and out of the pool four times
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

reddpen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:31 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:01 pm...Othello was not the longest play but had the character with the most lines.
According to that FJ, Othello has the non-title character (Iago) with the most lines; Hamlet is still the longest play, and he has the most lines.
According to this, Richard in Richard III has more lines than Hamlet:

https://www.playshakespeare.com/study/biggest-roles

But this says Hamlet has more than twice as many lines as Richard:

https://www.shakespeareswords.com/Publi ... Parts.aspx

Weird. I wonder why the discrepancy.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Thank you! That's good to know.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm
According to this, Richard in Richard III has more lines than Hamlet:

https://www.playshakespeare.com/study/biggest-roles

But this says Hamlet has more than twice as many lines as Richard:

https://www.shakespeareswords.com/Publi ... Parts.aspx

Weird. I wonder why the discrepancy.
Here is a third one that deviates from both.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandque ... 24,00.html

I'm curious what's going on. Seems like this should be a straightforward thing but all sources seem to vary wildly.

You can really impress people by memorizing the digits of pi by memorizing the first 10 digits and then just making up random numbers. Maybe something similar here.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Any reason "drum major" doesn't work for
It's the person leading a marching band, sometimes twirling a baton
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

On FJ, was vacillating between Hamlet and King Lear. Knew they were both long, then overthought it and figured Hamlet was negbait. Sigh.

Aaron is doing really well this week - if he continues at this level, he’ll be my favorite guest host so far, edging out Ken.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:09 am Any reason "drum major" doesn't work for
It's the person leading a marching band, sometimes twirling a baton
Arguably they don't twirl their batons, but I think they'd have to accept it. (Full disclosure: I said "drum major" too.)

edit: never mind, drum majors can twirl batons. I don't see why they wouldn't accept it.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

imdb (which is one of my all-time favorite reference sites) has 200 entries for movies titled "hamlet," or minor variations thereof. this includes tv movies, and tv episodes named "hamlet," or minor variations thereof.

https://www.imdb.com/find?q=hamlet&s=tt&ref_=fn_tt
MSTieScott
Contributor

Post by MSTieScott »

I gave the correct response to Also a Batman Villain $200 and $400 before the clues were even revealed. Joker and Penguin -- in that order -- are the two the general public is most familiar with, so of course they're going to be the top two boxes (given that it's difficult to write a clue for "Catwoman" in a non-Batman sense).

If the category name weren't there, I wouldn't have been able to identify Adélie, but considering the category, it was a very safe guess.