The 2021 Tournament of Champions Is Happening Next Month

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: The 2021 Tournament of Champions Is Happening Next Month

Post by MattKnowles »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:17 pm
AntmanB wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:44 pm Im not actually a big Buzzy Fan, but he does have a Personality that could make a good Host. Does this mean we have all our guest hosts or is there gonna be 1-2 more announced?

Looks Like they took the next one Down to replace Brayden. I was wondering if they were gonna Take Zach or Not Honestly.
Who is Not Honestly?
The body double of Luke Wilson’s character in the prescient documentary Idiocracy.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:44 pm Im not actually a big Buzzy Fan, but he does have a Personality that could make a good Host. Does this mean we have all our guest hosts or is there gonna be 1-2 more announced?

Looks Like they took the next one Down to replace Brayden. I was wondering if they were gonna Take Zach or Not Honestly.
Confirmed:
Anderson Cooper - April 19-30
Bill Whitaker - May 3 -14
Buzzy ToC - May 17 - 28
Mayim Bialik - May 31 - June 11

Expected:
Savannah Guthrie - June 14 - 25
Dr. Sanjay Gupta - June 28 - July 9

Unknown:
Five weeks July 12 - August 13

Olympics:
July 23 - August 8 (Possibly J! does two vault weeks?)

NBC July 23
All times ET:
6:55 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.: Live Opening Ceremony Coverage
11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.: Special Edition of TODAY
1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.: Tokyo Olympics Daytime
7:30 p.m. – Midnight: Primetime Opening Ceremony
12:35 a.m. – 5:00 a.m. (July 24): Overnight Replay of Opening Ceremony
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:36 pm

Confirmed:
Buzzy ToC - May 17 - 28

Expected:

Unknown:

Olympics:

NBC July 23
All times ET:
so they may make up the 2 Christmas/new years vault weeks then. interesting.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:36 pm

Confirmed:
Buzzy ToC - May 17 - 28

Expected:

Unknown:

Olympics:

NBC July 23
All times ET:
With J mostly being on ABC stations, and not in prime time, there isn’t really a need to have reruns those weeks.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:57 am

Considering we are entering a new era for the show, and had the GOAT already for the previous era, I suspect nobody from the Alex days are going to be back for future tournaments anyway; other than maybe someone from this upcoming TOC.
If no other former champions have guest hosted other than Ken and Buzzy, then I would anticipate those from the Alex days to be back for a possible special tournament in Season 40 (e.g. a second installation of the Million Dollar Masters Tournament where they bring back James Holzhauer, Brad Rutter, and 13 ToC champions/finalists/semifinalists whose original appearances took place between Ken Jennings' run and the 2019 ToC (including the winner of the this tournament). It would be nice to see James and Brad on the Jeopardy! set again, even though we're in the post-Trebek era.
Not likely. At the end of the GOAT tournament, Alex said that it would be the last appearance on J! for the three of them.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:30 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:38 pm

Potentially unpopular opinion, but I think that's probably for the best. We've pretty much seen the best of the Trebek era already, and we've seen them compete in these kinds of tournaments several times at this point. I think the GOAT tournament and this last Trebek-era tournament should close the deal on that. There's a reason we didn't see Fleming era contestants compete in these best-of tournaments (with the exception of Burns Cameron).
I'd say the other reason we didn't see any former Champions from the Art Fleming era is because the original series lasted until 1975, and its revival was short-lived as it only ran from 1978-79. The current syndicated version began in 1984 and will still be going for a considerable amount of time, even though there will be a new host next season. In other words, it has been continuous even after Alex died. So I wouldn't see a problem with TBTP airing a special tournament featuring James, Brad, and 13 other former champions from the later Trebek era, all of whom made their initial appearances on the program between Ken's original run and the 2019 ToC. And the most recent special tournament from the Trebek era (the All-Star Games), TPTB didn't bring back former champions from the 80s and 90s (e.g. Chuck Forrest, Frank Spangenberg, Jerome Vered, Eddie Timanus) as they were well past their prime.
While it is the same show going forward, how many more times do we need to see the same people with the same results pretty much every time? Until the GOAT, Rutter won every one of them; and Ken was right there with him.
However, I think it would at least be great if we saw James coming back for special tournaments. He ought to be invited back to try to get redemption after losing GOAT (much like when he turned the tables on Emma in the ToC after she stopped him from surpassing Ken Jennings' regular game cash record).

Also, in the event there's a special tournament in Season 40, why not bring some of those players back?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:00 pm With J mostly being on ABC stations, and not in prime time, there isn’t really a need to have reruns those weeks.
It's not mostly on ABC stations (that info may be a little out of date, but there haven't been that many changes), and I suspect that NBC's Olympics coverage will be starting at 7:30 P.M. Eastern/Pacific every night, which would conflict with J! in some markets... but I also suspect that J! won't change their programming plans solely due to the Olympics.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

trainman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:44 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:00 pm With J mostly being on ABC stations, and not in prime time, there isn’t really a need to have reruns those weeks.
It's not mostly on ABC stations (that info may be a little out of date, but there haven't been that many changes), and I suspect that NBC's Olympics coverage will be starting at 7:30 P.M. Eastern/Pacific every night, which would conflict with J! in some markets... but I also suspect that J! won't change their programming plans solely due to the Olympics.
How about mostly not on NBC stations

Also should mention it’s not during sweeps, so ad revenue shouldn’t be impacted enough to get out of the way of the games.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Olympics have been held during times Jeopardy was in season before and they have never reverted to reruns.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:22 pm The Olympics have been held during times Jeopardy was in season before and they have never reverted to reruns.
1988 - 9/17 - 10/2
2000 - 9/15 - 10/1
2004 - rerun season
2008 - rerun season
2012 - rerun season
2016 - rerun season

only two opportunities there, and right at the beginning of a new season

ETA: there might be a day or two in 04, 08, 12, & 16 at the beginning of the games, I didn't check the archive for exact end of J season.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Winter Games have been held nine times since the show was revived and aired during the season.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:50 pm The Winter Games have been held nine times since the show was revived and aired during the season.
There's winter ones too?????? :lol:
yclept

Post by yclept »

I can’t imagine Jeopardy completely abandoning the special tournaments. Losing Ken sucks, but they did the MDM well before there was a Ken. With James as a more recent super champ, he can take the role of Ken as the monster to beat. I am not sure if Brad is retired from the game or not. If not, he may want to get some redemption for getting trampled in the GOAT.
Plus, I do think there are some intriguing players for James to compete against. Alex Jacob, Larissa Kelly, Jason Z (who started using some of James’ strategies after getting to watch him play), Mark Jackson...and more I am not currently thinking about. There are many champs who have come in since the BOTD who haven’t played in a big tournament (except for the All Star Games)

There is also the ABC factor. ABC runs a lot of games during the summer and had success with GOAT. Could they order a special Jeopardy tournament? I wouldn’t rule it out.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

yclept wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:10 am I can’t imagine Jeopardy completely abandoning the special tournaments. Losing Ken sucks, but they did the MDM well before there was a Ken. With James as a more recent super champ, he can take the role of Ken as the monster to beat. I am not sure if Brad is retired from the game or not. If not, he may want to get some redemption for getting trampled in the GOAT.
Plus, I do think there are some intriguing players for James to compete against. Alex Jacob, Larissa Kelly, Jason Z (who started using some of James’ strategies after getting to watch him play), Mark Jackson...and more I am not currently thinking about. There are many champs who have come in since the BOTD who haven’t played in a big tournament (except for the All Star Games)

There is also the ABC factor. ABC runs a lot of games during the summer and had success with GOAT. Could they order a special Jeopardy tournament? I wouldn’t rule it out.
Perhaps. For me, it just feels kind of incomplete without having Ken or Buzzy. Not that they aren't allowed to retire on their own accords, and Ken especially has a good case for retirement, I just feel like something would be missing. Plus I'm pretty sure Alex said something about James and Brad retiring after GOAT during that tournament as well. Which is a shame honestly, given that we haven't gotten the chance to know James like we have with Ken and Brad over the years.

I feel like Bruce Seymour and Arthur Chu may fit under definition of retired players too, since Arthur was invited to the All Star Games but didn't appear. Bruce hasn't been on since he won Super Jeopardy.
Last edited by finishemzoe on Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Matt Jackson*

It'd be too bad if we didn't get to see him play in a tournament again. Along with the other strong contestants you mentioned.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Glad the show was able to get this done despite everything going on. Excited to see how it all shook out, and for the Return of the Mack! (enzie)... I'll show myself out.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

The quarterfinal matchups are now on Jeopardy!'s website:
https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zon ... -champions
May 17: Jason/Ryan B/Sarah
May 18: Karen/Nibir/Steve
May 19: Jennifer/Paul/Ryan H
May 20: MacKenzie/Kevin/Ben
May 21: Sam/Andy/Veronica
MarkBarrett

Re: The 2021 Tournament of Champions Is Happening This Month

Post by MarkBarrett »

Gold: Jason, Jennifer, Karen, MacKenzie, Ryan Bilger
Silver: Ben, Kevin, Nibir, Ryan Hemmel, Sam
Bronze: Andy, Paul, Sarah, Steve, Veronica

QF1: Tough draw for Sarah getting the number one seed plus Ryan, who like Jason, also had a lot of time to prepare. Jason is 11/20 on FJ clues so as long as he does not do something crazy to try to lock up being the semifinalist he should make it to the second week. Sarah is 3/5 on FJ! clues. If she can get one right then a wildcard could be hers on a double-up.

QF2: Karen with 8 wins looks like she is in a good position against the college champ and a 3xer who only got in due to unfortunate circumstances. I see it differently as Karen is the most likely of the three 8xers to get bounced early. Nibir got better as he went along his tournament and Steve can play without the pressure that others might feel.

QF3: Jennifer has to be the favorite against Ryan Hemmel and Paul to make it to the semis. The gentlemen did not have impressive Coryats while Jennifer is second only to Jason for clues right per game.

QF4: MacKenzie gets a draw of Kevin and Ben that does not include a 4x or the 3x winner. Ben won his TT and throughout that tournament I always thought I was seeing a regular play champ. Kevin showed up at the right time to string together five wins. The buzzer may not be his friend in this match. MacKenzie can be a little hot or cold and I expect to see some inconsistency in her match(es).

QF5: Sam was the top 5x winner, so that was enough to keep him away from the 19xer and three 8xers in the first week. It's a long day under any circumstances to be in the last game of the day. Throw in tourney pressures, sequestering, and a guest host? I have no idea if this game will be last person standing or so close and coupled with a solvable FJ! clue that Sam, Andy & Veronica can all move on. No result will surprise me from this one.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I took basically a year off from the show so the only contestants I really remember watching are Jason, Ryan Bilger, Sam, Karen, and Mackenzie. :(
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I was poking around my LearnedLeague stats, and I discovered I had a tied-up record against one ZuffranieriJ, courtesy of a much smaller LL back in those days.

I thought that was pretty cool.