How Did Aaron Rodgers Do as Host?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Aaron Rodgers on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best

5%
No votes
1%
1%
2%
11%
17%
24%
27%
12%

Total votes: 94

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: How Did Aaron Rodgers Do as Host?

Post by Robert K S »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:21 pm but neither did Alex.
You're kidding, right? Alex's broadcaster's voice was as good as they come. He got his start as a radio announcer.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I have him just behind Ken. He’s got a better speaking voice than Ken and showed that he’s nearly as witty a host.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:01 pm Using a scale of Alex = 10, my rankings would be

Ken, 8.5
Katie/Aaron tied at 7.8 (for different reasons)
Mike, 7.0
Oz, 5.5

I liked Aaron's demeanor and interaction with the contestants, but I did find his enunciation a little lazy and slurred. I'm not sure I'd go as far as Opus and term it "mush-mouthed," but he definitely wasn't as clear and crisp as he could have been, with frequent dropped "g"s at the end of "-ing" words and quite a few vowels turned into schwas...
These sound like pretty normal ways of speaking to me. I agree about his low-key energy but wasn't bothered by his enunciation. Oz had more problems there.
He's very likable. I put him 3d after Ken and Katie.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:29 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:21 pm but neither did Alex.
You're kidding, right? Alex's broadcaster's voice was as good as they come. He got his start as a radio announcer.
erm... I had to look back at the context: "he doesn't have God given pipes, but neither did Alex".

This is just my "pipes" envy causing the hate :twisted: . I just consider Alex's timbre about average for a professional, but average is a very high standard. I'm cursed with a Jimmy Carter voice, but with Barry Kripke's speech. Nobody wants to hear this sing :(.

I suppose my definition of "God" given is my own, but I mean it in the context of "do I want to hear this person sing?". I also have a bias for baritone or bass voices from males. A co-worker was a former DJ who could turn on his "radio" voice and make you want to buy his car or his shoes. Glad he didn't go into preaching or I'd have drunk the kool-aid.

I don't know if I'd want to hear Morgan Freeman or James Earl Jones read 61 clues every day, but it would be cool for a week. For the full time gig, I'd prefer a female, just like my Australian Siri on my Iphone :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I wouldn't bring singing into this because it's a totally different skill from speaking, and there are plenty of examples of people with amazing singing voices and undistinguished speaking/reading voices. I could listen to Lewis Capaldi sing all day, but he's not suited to reading or radio announcing. To me, Casey Kasem had one of the all-time great broadcasting voices but I don't think he could sing--at least, I've never heard him sing, except maybe in character as a bad singer, and so I draw what is probably a justified inference.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:21 pm
The news is that Jack Buck's hat is in the ring, so unfortunately, the "guest" hosting meme is turning into an "audition" situation. I thought Ken J was not interested, but have seen posts here (citation needed) implying that he is. Add Levar Burton's public expression of interest, and now we have an awkward situation. Some people will be alienated if they champion one of these contenders and he/she/it doesn't get the gig. I can't imagine that Joe Buck will generate a cult following. He does have the pipes, but I don't know where the gravitas will come from.
I spent 3.5 years in the mid '70s in the St. Louis area listening to the Redbirds on the radio. IMO, Joe Buck is no Jack Buck.

KMOX had an eclectic line-up of game announcers back then:

- Bob Starr handled football duties. It wasn't until he came to ANA a couple of years later that I found out he was very good at baseball play-by-play.

- HOF announcer Dan Kelly handled hockey.

- The Spirits of STL (ABA) had as their announcer a young man fresh out of Syracuse who called himself "Bobby Costas". This amused my mother to no end and she would consistently refer to him as "little Bobby Costas" for the rest of her life.
OCSam
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:38 pm I could listen to Lewis Capaldi sing all day,
... dang... really? I'm impressed, honestly.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

I enjoyed Aaron as host. I place him second behind Ken.
Agree with those that think Aaron's enunciation needs improvement.
While I like the sound (timbre) of his voice better than Ken's, I prefer Ken overall due to his clear enunciation.
I found myself having to "actively listen" to Aaron, in order to understand all he said.
With Ken, listening and understanding everything said was easy, 🎵 easy like Sunday morning...🎶
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

finishemzoe wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:14 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:38 pm I could listen to Lewis Capaldi sing all day,
Haha, yeah, not really. But I have to admit hearing him sing is a totally different experience than hearing him talk.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:02 pm
finishemzoe wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:14 pm
Haha, yeah, not really. But I have to admit hearing him sing is a totally different experience than hearing him talk.
LOL, my music snobbery came out in that post. Yeah not a fan of him at all personally, though I haven't heard his speaking voice.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

finishemzoe wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:06 pm I haven't heard his speaking voice.
You gotta watch this great clip of his appearance on the graham norton show.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Like all of the guest hosts so far, Aaron was fine. He pretty much disappeared during the actual game play, which is what I think is needed. My only critique there is that his clue reading was a bit flat, a bit of a monotone. Continuing my point of view that J! is first a TV show and second a game, that monotone gets boring very quickly. The clues need some life to their reading.

That monotone carried over to his filler material - show intro, transitions, interviews, closing. There just wasn't any pep there. He was somewhat boring to listen to. Once again, the lack of on-camera experience shows.

I gave him a 6, down in the Mike Richards range, for pretty much the same reasons. Overall, from best to worst I have:
Katie
Oz
Ken
Aaron
Mike

I have Aaron beating out Mike, simply because I found Mike's puppy dog adoration of the show grating, where Aaron gave me much more of a respect for the game vibe.
--Peter
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

He may have a lot of respect for the game, but I doubt he would be able to host the show and play as quarterback at the same time because it is possible that he has to play a big game on the day of taping, so Ken still holds the top spot for me as the new host.
Just a person who loves game shows.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

QuizGeek75 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:29 pm He may have a lot of respect for the game, but I doubt he would be able to host the show and play as quarterback at the same time
Well, not without an injudicious use of his team's timeouts anyway.
alamble

Post by alamble »

QuizGeek75 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:29 pm He may have a lot of respect for the game, but I doubt he would be able to host the show and play as quarterback at the same time because it is possible that he has to play a big game on the day of taping, so Ken still holds the top spot for me as the new host.
I think it is highly unlikely that the Packers/NFL are going to allow that to happen while Rodgers is still an active player, although given J's usual Tuesday/Wednesday taping schedule, they wouldn't need him on a game day.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alamble wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:13 pm
QuizGeek75 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:29 pm He may have a lot of respect for the game, but I doubt he would be able to host the show and play as quarterback at the same time because it is possible that he has to play a big game on the day of taping, so Ken still holds the top spot for me as the new host.
I think it is highly unlikely that the Pack1ers/NFL are going to allow that to happen while Rodgers is still an active player, although given J's usual Tuesday/Wednesday taping schedule, they wouldn't need him on a game day.
Well, there's still MNF. Imagine a long OT game in a smaller NFL city (GB) without direct routes to LA and whose airport may not be open at that hour. Would there even be time to review the clues?

Similarly, what if GB has a Thurday night game? Rodgers would have missed all of that week's practices since Mon is his most likely travel day to LA.
OCSam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think it is highly unlikely that the Packers/NFL are going to allow that to happen while Rodgers is still an active player, although given J's usual Tuesday/Wednesday taping schedule, they wouldn't need him on a game day.
Doubt the NFL has any veto power over it but I agree the Packers would oppose him missing practice time. Also, the host does more (at least Alex did) than just show up four days a month to tape games.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:37 am
Doubt the NFL has any veto power over it but I agree the Packers would oppose him missing practice time. Also, the host does more (at least Alex did) than just show up four days a month to tape games.
I would say a top-level athlete does more than just show up on Sunday to toss a ball around.

Let's face it, the man doesn't have the time to do both jobs, unless one or both jobs change schedules.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Golf

Post by Golf »

This is silly, during the season NFL players are lucky if they get one day off a week. Otherwise they are working from basically sunup to sundown.

The off-season is some better but at the very least they are in the gym a couple hours a day.

Regardless, he’s not hosting while playing football.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:40 am Let's face it, the man doesn't have the time to do both jobs, unless one or both jobs change schedules.
I agree. Although it certainly seems possible that the entire Jeopardy! season could be taped during the NFL's off-season. Basically he'd have from February till July to get the entire season in the can. I'm sure it could be done.