How Did Aaron Rodgers Do as Host?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Aaron Rodgers on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best

5%
No votes
1%
1%
2%
11%
17%
24%
27%
12%

Total votes: 94

alietr
Site Admin

How Did Aaron Rodgers Do as Host?

Post by alietr »

How do you think Aaron Rodgers did as host?
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: How Did Aaron Rodgers Do as Host?

Post by yclept »

I first gave him a 9 but switched it to a 10. I don’t know what more he could have possibly done.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

9 from me while I would have checked 8.5 if that was available. Aaron's 10 games were enough to demonstrate the QB can be like Mike (Strahan) and have a TV career post NFL. Aaron needed a little more gusto as his energy level seemed to be some kind of intentional low key.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'd still give Ken the slight edge with a 9, but Aaron would be about 8.75 (and honestly, if they decided to make him the permanent host, I'd be fine with the choice).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:16 am 9 from me while I would have checked 8.5 if that was available. Aaron's 10 games were enough to demonstrate the QB can be like Mike (Strahan) and have a TV career post NFL. Aaron needed a little more gusto as his energy level seemed to be some kind of intentional low key.
I gave him an 8 but also would have done 8.5 if possible.

My rankings:
Ken
Aaron
Katie
Oz
Mike
Last edited by Bamaman on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Gave him an 8/10. Easily the best guest host so far, along with Ken.

Ken = Aaron > Mike > Katie > Oz for me so far. Honestly none of them have been awful though.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

He has easily been my favorite so far. As of now I would rank them: Aaron > Ken > Oz > Katie > Mike
Leander

Post by Leander »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:16 am 9 from me while I would have checked 8.5 if that was available. Aaron's 10 games were enough to demonstrate the QB can be like Mike (Strahan) and have a TV career post NFL. Aaron needed a little more gusto as his energy level seemed to be some kind of intentional low key.
I pretty much agree with this. I really enjoyed his personality, but he needs more energy, zip, whatever you might call it. I rank him behind Ken.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:16 am 9 from me while I would have checked 8.5 if that was available.
You and I are really in sync on these. I put him right between Katie Couric, whom I rated an 8, and Ken, whom I gave a 9. Maybe a little closer to Ken. So an 8.6. But given the trajectory over 2 weeks, I'm comfortable saying he was headed for a 9. I'd be perfectly content with him as the new host. My one minor complaint is that he can be a little mush-mouthed. Syllables and words run together a bit. I don't have trouble understanding him myself. But I'd be curious to hear from people whose first language is not English. I'd like him to get a vocal coach to help him learn to enunciate without sacrificing the flow. And from what we know of Aaron, he'd be totally open to that suggestion and might pursue it on his own. I really love his commitment.

Of the upcoming hosts, I think Buzzy and Mayim are most likely to give him a run for his money. And I really would like to see LeVar Burton have a shot. I wonder if there's some reason that TPTB have decided not to. I recall someone's earlier post that he had a bit of a prickly relationship with PBS or whoever over the use of the Reading Rainbow title. Has that and/or something else earned him a reputation as difficult to work with? Even so, I think they should give it a shot. I mean, there's a buzz around the guy that it seems worth taking advantage of. Guts it out for two weeks and if he lives up to that (hypothetical, speculated for the purpose of this post) reputation, don't have him back.

I'll also note that Mark Barrett and the other archivists might prefer Buzzy or Mayim or LeVar. They'll probably never have to enter a game where there's potential confusion about whether it was the host or a contestant who delivered a particular line. With Aaron or Ken or Mike, that kind of thing's going to happen all the time. Of course, with LeVar, you won't have any contestants of that name, but you'll have to constantly remember to hit the Shift key for the third letter. That's a little fussy and could get old. 8-)

So Ken ~> Aaron > Katie > Mike >>> Mehmet.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Seems like most everyone is giving him high marks for effort so I have to be the one with the hot take that he was the worst of the guest hosts. His reading/presenting voice ranged from nervous-kid-reading-book-report-at-the-front-of-the-classroom to Eeyore. When not behind the lectern he shifted back and forth on his feet. I know how hard it is not to do this because I had to restrain myself from doing it when I was on that stage. But it can be done with some self-awareness. I feel like this was stunt casting that didn't pay off. Next!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Using a scale of Alex = 10, my rankings would be

Ken, 8.5
Katie/Aaron tied at 7.8 (for different reasons)
Mike, 7.0
Oz, 5.5

I liked Aaron's demeanor and interaction with the contestants, but I did find his enunciation a little lazy and slurred. I'm not sure I'd go as far as Opus and term it "mush-mouthed," but he definitely wasn't as clear and crisp as he could have been, with frequent dropped "g"s at the end of "-ing" words and quite a few vowels turned into schwas. He did significantly improve over the course of his short time on stage. His first day was pretty soporific, so I'm glad it didn't turn into a two-week snooze-fest. I wouldn't mind seeing if he could continue to improve.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Of all the guest hosts so far, I'd say he had the best witty banter but the worst TV voice. All in all, I'd say he did a nice job.
SugetPound
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by SugetPound »

Liked Ken best and Aaron next best. I was skeptical of him hosting and found him wooden his first episode but he improved as he went and I ended up liking his performance. He’d be a great Sports Jeopardy host.

Joe Buck will be the next sports personality to host.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:03 pm Seems like most everyone is giving him high marks for effort so I have to be the one with the hot take that he was the worst of the guest hosts. His reading/presenting voice ranged from nervous-kid-reading-book-report-at-the-front-of-the-classroom to Eeyore. When not behind the lectern he shifted back and forth on his feet. I know how hard it is not to do this because I had to restrain myself from doing it when I was on that stage. But it can be done with some self-awareness. I feel like this was stunt casting that didn't pay off. Next!
Totally agree.

Also, in that interview prior to him hosting, he couldn’t stop playing with the ring on his finger.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:56 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:03 pm Seems like most everyone is giving him high marks for effort so I have to be the one with the hot take that he was the worst of the guest hosts. His reading/presenting voice ranged from nervous-kid-reading-book-report-at-the-front-of-the-classroom to Eeyore. When not behind the lectern he shifted back and forth on his feet. I know how hard it is not to do this because I had to restrain myself from doing it when I was on that stage. But it can be done with some self-awareness. I feel like this was stunt casting that didn't pay off. Next!
Totally agree.

Also, in that interview prior to him hosting, he couldn’t stop playing with the ring on his finger.
Well, he only has one ring so he needs protect it. Tom Brady has plenty to spare in case he lost one.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I was impressed with Aaron, but for me he's nowhere close to being as good as Ken. He seemed very comfortable as the host, but the contestant interviews were kind of crap because he didn't have much to say once the contestants were done telling their stories. Some people are saying he's too low energy. I think he just doesn't have enough charisma. He has some, but not enough to host a high profile show like Jeopardy! I think he's proven that he can host *a* game show, but maybe a different one, like maybe The Chase season 2 or something.

I downgraded my Dr. Oz rating from 10 to 8. There's too much friction between him and the contestants to consider him the most ideal host. If I'm allowed to change my poll vote, I will.

Just a reminder of why Ken is so ideal as the host. During his run, someone negged by guessing "the helm" when they wanted "the bridge." Ken was then able to explain why "the bridge" is correct and why "the helm" was close, but not close enough. Aaron can understand and explain tricky negbait, which is impressive, but I doubt he could also explain the different types of ship steering on the spot. Neither could Dr. Oz or any of the other guest hosts so far.

Rankings
Ken (9)
Dr. Oz (8)
Aaron Rodgers (6)
Mike (6)
Katie Couric (4)
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

I agree Rodgers did exceptionally well. He had fun, and it was infectious. He wants the job, and you want it for him. His energy level was a little low. I feel like that is fixable though.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Solid 8. Very likable and witty, always felt like he was in control. Give him a 5 Hour Energy before taping and he'd be a 9.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

He started off even worse than couric and jennings but he finished up strongly. He might want to evince a bit more interest in contestant stories.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I have assigned a 9. I can't remember my grading scale from before, but basically his only weakness is that he doesn't have God given pipes, but neither did Alex. Aaron probably would clean up his loose enunciation with time and coaching.

The news is that Jack Buck's hat is in the ring, so unfortunately, the "guest" hosting meme is turning into an "audition" situation. I thought Ken J was not interested, but have seen posts here (citation needed) implying that he is. Add Levar Burton's public expression of interest, and now we have an awkward situation. Some people will be alienated if they champion one of these contenders and he/she/it doesn't get the gig. I can't imagine that Joe Buck will generate a cult following. He does have the pipes, but I don't know where the gravitas will come from.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.