FJs for the 4/12/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 4/12/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:50 pm

Aside from the United States, one of the 2 countries with 2 different cities that have hosted the Summer Olympics
78%
As Huygens observed in 1656, a weapon in this constellation contains a nebula, one of a few that can be seen with the naked eye
62%
With 4,042 lines, it's Shakespeare's longest play & it's also the one that's been filmed the most
71%
Modern formulations of Newton's 2 most famous equations both begin with this quantity that's measured in newtons
67%
One of the luminaries who drove in the "Golden Spike" in Utah in 1869 was this man who later founded a university  
64%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
24%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
VICE PRESIDENTS $800: Daniel Tompkins, his vice president during the Era of Good Feelings, was very often absent from his duties
55%
MALFUNCTION $2000: This engineer's L.A. Aqueduct worked fine, but his St. Francis Dam north of the city collapsed in 1928, flooding Ventura County
19%
THE PRESIDENT'S AIRPORT $1000: Generally speaking, Wichita's Mid-Continent Airport was renamed in 2014 to honor this man
72%
I had Australia for the Monday FJ! clue.
41%
I had Germany for the Monday FJ! clue.
18%
I named both Australia & Germany for the Monday FJ! clue.
23%
If needed, I had all four cities of Melbourne, Sydney, Berlin & Munich for the Monday FJ! clue.
29%
I incorrectly had Japan for the Monday FJ! clue.
No votes
I incorrectly had Italy for the Monday FJ! clue.
3%
I incorrectly had Canada for the Monday FJ! clue.
3%
Sagittarius was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
31%
Romeo and Juliet was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
10%
I got Hamlet for the Wednesday FJ! clue more from the longest play angle.
40%
I got Hamlet for the Wednesday FJ! clue more from the filmed the most angle.  
15%
Brigham Young was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
30%

Total votes: 94

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 4/12/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OLYMPIC HOSTS

4/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Aside from the United States, one of the 2 countries with 2 different cities that have hosted the Summer Olympics

4/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ASTRONOMY

4/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
As Huygens observed in 1656, a weapon in this constellation contains a nebula, one of a few that can be seen with the naked eye

4/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE

4/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
With 4,042 lines, it's Shakespeare's longest play & it's also the one that's been filmed the most

4/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PHYSICS

4/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Modern formulations of Newton's 2 most famous equations both begin with this quantity that's measured in newtons

4/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN NAMES

4/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of the luminaries who drove in the "Golden Spike" in Utah in 1869 was this man who later founded a university

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
(1 of) Australia or Germany
Orion
Hamlet
force
(Leland) Stanford
The players were 6/15 (40.00%) with a 2-1-1-2-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested triple stumper sandwiching two other triple stumpers.

VICE PRESIDENTS $800: Daniel Tompkins, his vice president during the Era of Good Feelings, was very often absent from his duties

MALFUNCTION $2000: This engineer's L.A. Aqueduct worked fine, but his St. Francis Dam north of the city collapsed in 1928, flooding Ventura County

THE PRESIDENT'S AIRPORT $1000: Generally speaking, Wichita's Mid-Continent Airport was renamed in 2014 to honor this man

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
James Monroe
(William) Mulholland
Dwight Eisenhower

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 4/12/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

G-force
No guess on Mulholland

Australia first then Germany and knew all four cities

Longest play more helpful for me
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon - Australia only

Movie angle was more helpful in that it helped narrow down the possibilities
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sagittarius after talking myself out of Orion.

Only had Germany with Berlin and Munich. Would not have come up with Melbourne as a host in 30 sec.
I think "longest play" and "most filmed" helped about equally; for me the intersection of the candidates for the two was about two plays, Hamlet and King Lear, and I went with the more obvious one after being burned Tuesday.
Stanford was an instaget; I never considered Young or anyone else.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( ;) :mrgreen:

Both countries and all cities on the Olympics
Went with Sagittarius on a coin flip with Orion
Longest play key on Hamlet
Never considered Brigham Young Friday
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:x (Madison for Monroe) :( (how was I supposed to know it was Mulholland?) :mrgreen:
Got Hamlet from most filmed. Went the Australian route for the Olympics.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yet another skunk.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I had Sagittarius and Brigham Young. As far as I can tell, this is my worst week since the end of season 33. I didn't have a chance yesterday, but I could have gotten the three middle FJs right. Tuesday: "Sagittarius is the archer, so it would have a weapon. Do any of the other signs of the zodiac have a weapon? I can't think of any. Orion's a hunter, so he would have a weapon, but a weapon isn't necessarily his identity like a bow and arrow is for Sagittarius. Plus I thought of Sagittarius first, so I'll stick with that." Wednesday: "I think King Lear is the longest. I would think Romeo and Juliet was filmed the most, but surely that's not the longest. Hamlet? That seems like another one for 'filmed the most,' but I've read that; surely it can't be the longest! Let's stick with King Lear." Thursday: "Force is measured in newtons, so what force would Newton have written equations about? Gravity, gotta be."

I was too distracted by "generally speaking" and brainstorming generals to go Wichita -> Kansas -> Eisenhower on the last extra clue.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

What a week. I think I put the whammy on myself on Tuesday when I talked myself into and back out of the correct response. I couldn't think straight for Thursday and Friday as a result.

Monday: Australia, no problem. Didn't come up with a definitive guess for the second one. So in a TOC FJ where they would've asked for both, I'd have been toast. At least I could name both Australian cities, but only the year for one of them (Sydney).
Tuesday: Started with Sagittarius because there's definitely a weapon. Then I switched to Orion. But I couldn't remember if he has a weapon on him or just a belt. So I switched back to Sagittarius. Strike One.
Wednesday: Hamlet seemed the most likely. Either part of the clue on its own might have been enough for me to guess Hamlet, but with much less confidence than I had when considering both parts together. I didn't know it was the longest, but I knew it was long. I didn't know it was most filmed, but I could name three major motion picture productions--Olivier, Gibson, Branagh. So that seemed likely. Only Romeo and Juliet seemed a likely competitor on the most filmed front. If I'd only had that angle, I might have gone with R&J. but I knew it was short compared to Hamlet. So I guess the longest angle was more helpful. If this hadn't been a semi-wheelhouse area for me, I might've whammied myself here as well.
Thursday: Started with force. F = MA. I'm not sure what the other formula is, but I know that one. Easy, right? Yeah, but Sagittarius seemed right on Tuesday and I really should've trusted my instinct to switch to Orion. What does the clue mean by "modern formulations" anyway? Maybe they switched the formula around since the days I learned it in high school from Newton himself. Maybe they wanted Mass on the left side of the equation for some reason. Maybe today's kids learn that M = F/A. Force or mass, mass or force, force or mass.... MASS!!! Final answer. I don't want them to trick me. Strike Two.
Friday: Utah + university = Brigham Young. Obvious, right? What about Leland Stanford? Don't overthink it like you did yesterday. If they put Utah in the clue, that's the TOM. Stick with Brigham. Aaaaannnnddd... he's outta there! Better luck next week Mr. Cey.

I knew the Era of Good Feelings president, so no trouble there. And I keyed in on the "generally speaking" TOM" General + Kansas president = Ike. Not a chance on Mulholland. I know the name's associated with L.A. but nothing else.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Screwed up Monday even though I thought of Australia right away...I think I'd get Hamlet from either part of the clue, but I knew it was the longest. Knew Stanford just as fast.
I knew the CA engineer had a street named after him but I only got as far as eliminating Sunset as his last name... :oops: Getting LA history from the movies, I might have come up with Mulwray before Mulholland. :geek:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:46 pm I knew the CA engineer had a street named after him but I only got as far as eliminating Sunset as his last name... :oops: Getting LA history from the movies, I might have come up with Mulwray before Mulholland. :geek:
There was a whole movie made about Mulholland Dr.! :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Germany then Australia with the four cities and years.

Sagittarius on Tuesday and Brigham Young on Friday.

Got Hamlet from the length clue.
I would prefer not to.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:02 am
davey wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:46 pm I knew the CA engineer had a street named after him but I only got as far as eliminating Sunset as his last name... :oops: Getting LA history from the movies, I might have come up with Mulwray before Mulholland. :geek:
Don't remember that it says much about the history of LA, even fictionally...
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

No idea how you're supposed to know about Mulholland unless you are from California.

Got Hamlet by guessing through some convoluted logic.

Brigham Young never crossed my mind. Based on contestant responses plus all the "I said Brigham Young"s here and on Reddit, expected that to be polling higher than the 20s.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

... which got me to swear I'd never watch another David Lynch movie again, no matter how highly-rated it might be.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:44 am No idea how you're supposed to know about Mulholland unless you are from California.
Or even if you are. Being from California didn't help me, anyway. I'm Californian by birth. My parents are Los Angeles natives. I graduated high school in California and lived in Los Angeles for a couple of years while at UCLA. I was, however, out of the state from age 7 to 15. So I ended up learning Ohio history in 4th grade and Louisiana history in 8th. Perhaps if I'd had a class in California history I'd know who Mulholland was. I'll have to ask my daughter if she knows
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:45 am
mas3cf wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:44 am No idea how you're supposed to know about Mulholland unless you are from California.
Or even if you are. Being from California didn't help me, anyway. I'm Californian by birth. My parents are Los Angeles natives. I graduated high school in California and lived in Los Angeles for a couple of years while at UCLA. I was, however, out of the state from age 7 to 15. So I ended up learning Ohio history in 4th grade and Louisiana history in 8th. Perhaps if I'd had a class in California history I'd know who Mulholland was. I'll have to ask my daughter if she knows
As I tried to get at in my post above, you could get it because you're interested in movies. And - no surprise - read a lot.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/william-m ... -chinatown
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:( :( :mrgreen:

First 5/5 week in while, so it's predictable I would blank on the majority of the extra clues.

Wouldn't have gotten Monroe if I'd been spotted the "M" (would have gone with Madison).

Knew I knew Mulholland, but the tip of my tongue just wouldn't release it in time.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

There was also a movie named Mulholland Falls. ;)
OCSam