FJs for the 4/12/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 4/12/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:50 pm

Aside from the United States, one of the 2 countries with 2 different cities that have hosted the Summer Olympics
78%
As Huygens observed in 1656, a weapon in this constellation contains a nebula, one of a few that can be seen with the naked eye
62%
With 4,042 lines, it's Shakespeare's longest play & it's also the one that's been filmed the most
71%
Modern formulations of Newton's 2 most famous equations both begin with this quantity that's measured in newtons
67%
One of the luminaries who drove in the "Golden Spike" in Utah in 1869 was this man who later founded a university  
64%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
24%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
VICE PRESIDENTS $800: Daniel Tompkins, his vice president during the Era of Good Feelings, was very often absent from his duties
55%
MALFUNCTION $2000: This engineer's L.A. Aqueduct worked fine, but his St. Francis Dam north of the city collapsed in 1928, flooding Ventura County
19%
THE PRESIDENT'S AIRPORT $1000: Generally speaking, Wichita's Mid-Continent Airport was renamed in 2014 to honor this man
72%
I had Australia for the Monday FJ! clue.
41%
I had Germany for the Monday FJ! clue.
18%
I named both Australia & Germany for the Monday FJ! clue.
23%
If needed, I had all four cities of Melbourne, Sydney, Berlin & Munich for the Monday FJ! clue.
29%
I incorrectly had Japan for the Monday FJ! clue.
No votes
I incorrectly had Italy for the Monday FJ! clue.
3%
I incorrectly had Canada for the Monday FJ! clue.
3%
Sagittarius was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
31%
Romeo and Juliet was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
10%
I got Hamlet for the Wednesday FJ! clue more from the longest play angle.
40%
I got Hamlet for the Wednesday FJ! clue more from the filmed the most angle.  
15%
Brigham Young was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
30%

Total votes: 94

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: FJs for the 4/12/21 week

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrangeSAM wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:25 pm
Volante wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:02 am
davey wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:46 pm I knew the CA engineer had a street named after him but I only got as far as eliminating Sunset as his last name... :oops: Getting LA history from the movies, I might have come up with Mulwray before Mulholland. :geek:
There was a whole movie made about Mulholland Dr.! :D
There was also a movie named Mulholland Falls. ;)
And Tom Petty mentions Mulholland in Free Fallin'.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:36 pm
Volante wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:02 am
davey wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:46 pm I knew the CA engineer had a street named after him but I only got as far as eliminating Sunset as his last name... :oops: Getting LA history from the movies, I might have come up with Mulwray before Mulholland. :geek:
There was a whole movie made about Mulholland Dr.! :D
And Tom Petty mentions Mulholland in Free Fallin'.
It's one thing to have heard of Mulholland Drive, quite another to know who Mulholland was.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

:mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Overthought on Wednesday, said King Lear - thought Hamlet was too obvious.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

That ought to have been the name of Terry Mulholland's sinking fastball. Was it?
I'm smart and I want respect.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Just last month, for the anniversary of the collapse, I went to the former site of the St. Francis Dam. The rebuilt powerhouse, a little ways downstream from where the dam used to be, has a historical marker next to it (which could use a bit of cleaning). It doesn't mention Mulholland's name, but I obviously knew the story.

I also hiked past the former site of the dam, on a road that was built after the collapse but has since been bypassed.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:44 am No idea how you're supposed to know about Mulholland unless you are from California.
I knew about him from reading the book Cadillac Desert. Fascinating book, but perhaps a tad comprehensive unless you're really interested in the history of water utilization in the American West.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:41 am
mas3cf wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:44 am No idea how you're supposed to know about Mulholland unless you are from California.
I knew about him from reading the book Cadillac Desert. Fascinating book, but perhaps a tad comprehensive unless you're really interested in the history of water utilization in the American West.
I have more of a thing for street pavement in medium-sized Ohio cities, personally.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I was saved on Tuesday by not being able to remember the name of the constellation with the archer. So instead of flipping a coin, I had to write down the other constellation I could recall having a weapon.

That was a big groan for me on the "general" hint. Being a midwest city, I would have guessed him anyway, but that just sealed the deal.

On the LA guy, I had heard the story before and was almost certain it was a not-terribly famous person with a much more famous street named after him. Unfortunately, I guessed Sepulveda. Oh well. Educated guesses need to be wrong sometimes because they are still guesses and not proper knowledge.
--Peter
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

The villain from Chinatown played by John Huston was based on the real-life Mulholland. That's one way a non-Californian can get that one. (But like Opus said, being from California is not really gonna help you with this one.)
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:33 pm
I have more of a thing for street pavement in medium-sized Ohio cities, personally.
Ha. I realize it sounds a little dry (sorry), but the history of water in the West is pretty interesting and very important historically.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I had Stanford, but crossed him out for Vanderbilt (railroad titan). Otherwise I got the other four FJs, a good week for me.
davey

Post by davey »

tddeveryday wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:09 pm
The villain from Chinatown played by John Huston was based on the real-life Mulholland. That's one way a non-Californian can get that one. (But like Opus said, being from California is not really gonna help you with this one.)
it's Noah Cross's son-in-law Hollis Mulwray who's the water engineer and thus the film's substitute for Mulholland. Cross represents the oligarchy of Los Angeles, but is otherwise fictional.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I think Mulholland is top tier Civil Engineer info, but I couldn't pull his name. I can only name Eiffel and Roebling off the top of my head as others. Architects get all the buzz. (after research) He also made the quote "There it is. Take it".

I'm waiting for someone to tell the truth about George Ballas, the inventor of the weed eater, the "labor-saving" miracle. This is the biggest labor-creating device ever conceived :twisted: . Just look at the billions of hours running those things since 1971. Before 1971, zip... Do the math :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

davey wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:02 pm it's Noah Cross's son-in-law Hollis Mulwray who's the water engineer and thus the film's substitute for Mulholland. Cross represents the oligarchy of Los Angeles, but is otherwise fictional.
Aha. It's been a while, so my memory was that John Huston was the DWP official. (Also, it's a pretty complicated story to keep track of.)
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:31 pm
Ha. I realize it sounds a little dry (sorry), but the history of water in the West is pretty interesting and very important historically.
It's been a major driver of history in the West.

https://www.usbr.gov/lc/phoenix/AZ100/1 ... hting.html
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:13 pm (snip)
It's been a major driver of history in the West.

https://www.usbr.gov/lc/phoenix/AZ100/1 ... hting.html
And the reason Colorado residents can't collect rain water

(Technically it looks like they can now, per https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-a ... ado-6-707/
But there's a catch:
diverting and storing water is allowed only during times when all water rights in the basin are satisfied
)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)