Monday, April 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:38 am
mas3cf wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:01 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:06 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:39 pm I still can't keep straight if HDL or LDL cholesterol is the "good" cholesterol
For what it's worth, the way I remember is to know that HD stands for "high-density" and LD stands for "low-density." Then I think about how stuff that's low-density takes up more space than an equal mass of higher density. So when it comes to cholesterol in your blood vessels, you want the stuff that takes up less space, i.e. the high density kind, or HDL, the "good" cholesterol. I don't really know if that's actually how HDL and LDL work in the bloodstream, but "HDL = takes up less space = good" works for me for distinguishing good from bad.
Here's one I think is simpler:

You want your High-Density lipoprotein to be high, you want your Low-Density lipoprotein to be low.
I'll check back after my next blood test to see how these memory hacks work out for me :). I'm wired to accept Sg's version because narratives work better for me than binary choices, and I've seen the low/low tip before. I still use port = left because they both have four letters even though I'm sure it is hard wired by now.

Anyone got one to help TPH remember Jupiter is the largest planet? Just kidding, we don't want to go there :lol:.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 am Katydid
Should they audition Jon Cicada?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:39 pm FJ- I remembered Van Gogh did a painting from an Asylum window or something like that. (Turns out he did many during his year there). I couldn't quite pull the Sunflowers painting in my head to rule out any background objects, but I couldn't have named it either and I felt pretty good about Starry Night. I had a poster of it at one time.
I channeled my inner TPH and almost talked myself out of the right answer by overthinking it with extraneous information. Starry Night was instant, big colorful circles with a town below. Then, "Wait -- window? Starry Night has no hint it's out a window. But it sure sounds like Van Gogh. Frame? Sill? Maybe Bedroom at Arles? What paintings have windows in them?"

I think had I been on stage I would have written Starry Night quickly, then spent the rest of the music doubting myself. I don't think I would have crossed it out for another candidate. But I can't be sure.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:06 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:39 pm I still can't keep straight if HDL or LDL cholesterol is the "good" cholesterol
For what it's worth, the way I remember is to know that HD stands for "high-density" and LD stands for "low-density." Then I think about how stuff that's low-density takes up more space than an equal mass of higher density. So when it comes to cholesterol in your blood vessels, you want the stuff that takes up less space, i.e. the high density kind, or HDL, the "good" cholesterol. I don't really know if that's actually how HDL and LDL work in the bloodstream, but "HDL = takes up less space = good" works for me for distinguishing good from bad.
The way I remember it is simpler than that. Used to work out to an exercise show where the host would often say "HDL, that's *high* density lipoprotein, so you want a *high* level of that". Heard her say it enough times that it's stuck in my brain.

On a thoroughly unrelated point, did anyone else hear the name Mike Nelson in the opener and start thinking "In the not too distant future, somewhere in time and space..."?
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:59 am Jupiter is the head god. So naturally they name the biggest planet after him.
You can't always make that kind of thing work for you, though. The world's smallest breed of dog is named for the largest state in Mexico.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:25 am I got Starry Night for FJ, but never really considered it was supposed to be the view out of Vincent's window.
It's when he was at the asylum, so yep.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

da Doctah wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:56 pm On a thoroughly unrelated point, did anyone else hear the name Mike Nelson in the opener and start thinking "In the not too distant future, somewhere in time and space..."?
Maybe showing my age, but I was disappointed he wasn't in a wetsuit.

I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anderson Cooper is probably the best guest host yet.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni