Monday, April 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, April 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:51 pm
tddeveryday wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:54 pm Played off the archive because the trial is preempting most stations. The stalagtite vs. stalactite ruling seemed weird to me because I would think the pronunciation differences subtle, but I'll reserve further judgment until I see the game.
I didn't hear it the first time around and found the sequence confusing. But listening for it on the second try, I very clearly heard "stalagtite". The caption predictably said "stalactite" for both Mike's incorrect response and Patrick's correct rebound. :roll: I'm surprised Cooper caught it in real time. I think even Alex might have accepted it initially and had to claw the money back in a reversal. I wonder if they prepped Cooper for the possibility ahead of time or had a warning on his card.
I did have to replay that to be certain, but it did feel off the first time; and this particular word, you really shouldn't cause for doubt on -that- letter.
Spoiler
stalag—as—in—ground—mite vs stalac—as—in—ka-ceiling—tite
Spoiler
Yes, I had to actively dig out an em dash to copy-paste in for that mediocre joke...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

45R. 3/4 on big clues. Missed Starry Night. I got distracted by "The New York Times" and thought they were going for an American or New York artist. Couldn't think of anything fitting and wrote down Nighthawks.

The mispronunciation of stalactite was noticeable. If the first response sounded like stalactite I don't think Patrick would have rung in and given the response of stalactite. The mnemonic device I use, that somebody else came up with: StalaCtite = Cave thing that grows on the CEILING. StalaGmite = Cave thing that grows on the GROUND. That had me primed to listen for the C.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Diane Sawyer, Hubert Humphrey, Elizabeth Gilbert, Keke Palmer, and The Day the Earth Stood Still. I've missed Elizabeth Gilbert a few times. Maybe I'll get it next time. I even read her Wikipedia page last time.

I think Anderson had a lot of long pauses before accepting responses. That's something that might improve by the second game though. Other than that he basically did exactly how I was expecting him to. He's been a very capable host for a long time so no surprises.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Took me a couple of secs to get FJ!

Then I started humming to myself.
OCSam
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Anderson has won the interview segment with just one day. I wonder if the players felt as special as he seems to want them to feel. I thought maybe he'd forget to play DJ and just keep shooting the breeze (I usually say something else here).
The rest of his duties were like a first draft. A good first draft, but I don't think he's far from his ceiling. I like Anderson and I would defer to him.

FJ- I remembered Van Gogh did a painting from an Asylum window or something like that. (Turns out he did many during his year there). I couldn't quite pull the Sunflowers painting in my head to rule out any background objects, but I couldn't have named it either and I felt pretty good about Starry Night. I had a poster of it at one time.

Stalactites are cool. Stalagmites are the bottom of the muffin and should be donated to homeless shelters. (This board is the only place I can make these kind of terrible insinuendos). For some reason I've never had a problem with transposing these names. I still can't keep straight if HDL or LDL cholesterol is the "good" cholesterol, but I never a problem with the calcite/gypsum cave teeth.

Mike gave a nice show of emotion and reaction to his win upon reveal.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

The mnemonic I've always hear for those cave thingies is:

Stalagmites stand with might.

Stalactites hang on tight.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

THE HUMAN BODY category was a strangely valued IMO. Getting "plexus" should have been worth muuuch more than just $400, probably down two spots.

FICTION for $1600 was also very weirdly written. David Baldacci is a legal thriller novelist. Freddy the Pig is a series of children's books by Walter R. Brooks. Making the connection that they did in the clue was quite a stretch and not helpful at all.

For an art FJ, that was about as WECIB as it gets. The inclusion of "New York Times" did give me a bit of pause as others have mentioned, but when closing your eyes and picturing what was described, it had to be van Gogh's masterpiece.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:21 am THE HUMAN BODY category was a strangely valued IMO. Getting "plexus" should have been worth muuuch more than just $400, probably down two spots.
Somewhat racy story so I will spoiler to protect Innocents.
Spoiler
When I was in high school, there was a radio and TV ad campaign for a line of shampoos called Nexxus. Their jingle went, "feel good from your head to your solar plexus. Chalk up a win no matter what your sex is. Look for the name with the double X's, naturally with Nexxus." You would hear this jingle every day on the radio and TV. Everybody knew it.

I was involved with this girl, and we were going to make some plans, and she flirtatiously asked me if I'd make her feel good from her head to her solar plexus. Equally flirtatiously, or so I thought, I said,
Spoiler
"I'll make you feel good even lower than that."
She was shocked I'd said that. Those were simpler times.

You have no one to blame but yourself if you clicked on the spoiler.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:39 pm I still can't keep straight if HDL or LDL cholesterol is the "good" cholesterol
For what it's worth, the way I remember is to know that HD stands for "high-density" and LD stands for "low-density." Then I think about how stuff that's low-density takes up more space than an equal mass of higher density. So when it comes to cholesterol in your blood vessels, you want the stuff that takes up less space, i.e. the high density kind, or HDL, the "good" cholesterol. I don't really know if that's actually how HDL and LDL work in the bloodstream, but "HDL = takes up less space = good" works for me for distinguishing good from bad.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Nice job by Anderson on his debut, I thought.

I got Starry Night for FJ, but never really considered it was supposed to be the view out of Vincent's window.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:06 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:39 pm I still can't keep straight if HDL or LDL cholesterol is the "good" cholesterol
For what it's worth, the way I remember is to know that HD stands for "high-density" and LD stands for "low-density." Then I think about how stuff that's low-density takes up more space than an equal mass of higher density. So when it comes to cholesterol in your blood vessels, you want the stuff that takes up less space, i.e. the high density kind, or HDL, the "good" cholesterol. I don't really know if that's actually how HDL and LDL work in the bloodstream, but "HDL = takes up less space = good" works for me for distinguishing good from bad.
Here's one I think is simpler:

You want your High-Density lipoprotein to be high, you want your Low-Density lipoprotein to be low.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:05 am The mnemonic I've always hear for those cave thingies is:

A little bit easier still: Stalactites stick tight. You don't even need anything for stalagmites.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:53 pm 45R. 3/4 on big clues. Missed Starry Night. I got distracted by "The New York Times" and thought they were going for an American or New York artist. Couldn't think of anything fitting and wrote down Nighthawks.

The mispronunciation of stalactite was noticeable. If the first response sounded like stalactite I don't think Patrick would have rung in and given the response of stalactite. The mnemonic device I use, that somebody else came up with: StalaCtite = Cave thing that grows on the CEILING. StalaGmite = Cave thing that grows on the GROUND. That had me primed to listen for the C.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Diane Sawyer, Hubert Humphrey, Elizabeth Gilbert, Keke Palmer, and The Day the Earth Stood Still. I've missed Elizabeth Gilbert a few times. Maybe I'll get it next time. I even read her Wikipedia page last time.

I think Anderson had a lot of long pauses before accepting responses. That's something that might improve by the second game though. Other than that he basically did exactly how I was expecting him to. He's been a very capable host for a long time so no surprises.
Glad I'm not the only one. I too answered Nighthawks.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Instaget FJ for a change. I thought Cooper was very strong.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Cooper was a natural. I had been predisposed against him because I found distasteful his behind-the-scenes questing, years back, for the job. But I have to admit he won me over almost instantly. After his initial introduction, the show proceeded with the as much fluidity as if he had been hosting for years. And his reading voice is very good, I think--better than anyone else who has guest hosted, if not as good as Alex's. Just my opinion, can't wait to read others' and see the polling.

I don't think he'd take the job now even if offered.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Cooper did fine and I might get used to him. But my up front thought is that he's not The One. He doesn't feel like home. Ken did. Aaron did after a few games. Even Katydid by the end. Mike felt like he could get there. Oz never would and I might stop watching. Anderson Cooper doesn't feel like he can get there. For me, the show would become impersonal generic entertainment with him at the helm.

It's quite possible that I'm judging Cooper more harshly than previous hosts because I'm getting antsy. I'm tired of all the foster parents and just want to know who's going to be my new forever mom or dad. Why should I even try to warm up to this new guy when they're just going to take him away in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll start shoplifting and sneaking cigarettes to see if anyone cares.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:21 am THE HUMAN BODY category was a strangely valued IMO. Getting "plexus" should have been worth muuuch more than just $400, probably down two spots.
Not when spotted 'solar'. Without solar, I'd say that's bottom row.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:05 am The mnemonic I've always hear for those cave thingies is:

That's a great mnemonic that wouldn't have helped Mike in today's game because he got the "tites" part right. The look on his face after the clue was ruled correct for Patrick on the rebound made me think Mike either didn't understand what he got wrong or was thinking of a challenge. Fortunately he shook it off and the $2k swing didn't affect the outcome for him.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:43 am
Not when spotted 'solar'. Without solar, I'd say that's bottom row.
I agree. And that's the beauty of the clue writing and this show. I've kind of known the term solar plexus as a boxing target and never knew that it referred to a bundle of nerves. That trivioid is with me now. Now to figure out why it's "solar". And, here you go:

The solar plexus, or celiac plexus, is the name given to the network of nerves near the stomach. “Celiac” comes from the Greek word for “belly” and “plexus” means “braid” in Latin. ... We call this region the solar plexus because the network (braid) of nerves looks like the rays of the sun.

It really did suck to be inquisitive before the Googlenet 8-)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:01 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:06 am
Here's one I think is simpler:

You want your High-Density lipoprotein to be high, you want your Low-Density lipoprotein to be low.
I'll check back after my next blood test to see how these memory hacks work out for me :). I'm wired to accept Sg's version because narratives work better for me than binary choices, and I've seen the low/low tip before. I still use port = left because they both have four letters even though I'm sure it is hard wired by now.

Anyone got one to help TPH remember Jupiter is the largest planet? Just kidding, we don't want to go there :lol:.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Jupiter is the head god. So naturally they name the biggest planet after him.