Wednesday, April 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN BUSINESS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2004, after a century as a household name, its last model rolled off the assembly line in Lansing, Michigan

Mike Nelson: 18800-1200=17600 (3x = $55,000)
Ellen Clarke: 2600-400=2200
Max Nupen: minus 1800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Oldsmobile (Mike – Chrysler) (Ellen – Town car)

Daily Doubles
Ellen: 4000-2000
Ellen: 4400-3000
Mike: 16400+2400

Coryats
Mike: 17200
Ellen: 7600
Max: minus 1800

Combined: 23,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Mike: 6400
Ellen: 2000
Max: 1400
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bonus question:

Lansing, Michigan was also the site of the last what, which closed its doors in 1988.
Spoiler
Playboy Club

I got this FJ by sort of remembering when it happened, and also from having one as my first car. Not a whole lot of clues otherwise, it's kind of "Guess a car".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not J! at its finest with so many errors and stumpers setting up a 2-person FJ! round and combined Coryat of only 23,000.

The end works fine for Mike getting a third win and not losing too much from his huge runaway. $1200 would have been my wager as well from that position and looking at AMERICAN BUSINESS.

My written precall list was only Walmart and autos as I was not sensing oil or publishing which went on my mental list.

The FJ! clue had me blessed with limited knowledge/recall as I wrote the correct response and at no time considered the multiple wrong roads of thought. It's such a weak area for me that after easily dismissing Ford & GM I blanked on the other name I wanted to check on and could not bring up Mike's incorrect response.

One reason I went with the correct response was having no recollection of seeing them on TPIR in the last five years.

Of all the stumpers my favorite was the one for the country associated with the Platt Amendment. How did I know it? Mr. Hand of course, even if all that he said is not quite correct.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hump Day finished: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7004

CC error of the day: "throw your sums" for D PLUS $400
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Was that our first Contestant Eliminated Before Final since Trebeks Last Ep?

I put down Oldsmobile for final knowing that was wrong. WAIT WHAT I WAS RIGHT? HOLY CRAP THAT WAS A SHOT IN THE DARK!
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I was pretty sure the correct FJ! response was going to be one of Oldsmobile, Mercury, or Plymouth. All three makes were discontinued in roughly the same timeframe. I finally decided that Oldsmobile best fit the given year.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ellen really should have bet $5 on that Bible DD. Clearly not a strong category for any of the contestants. Asked to name a book in which Jesus raised Lazarus, Max guessed a book from waaayyy before Jesus was born, and Ellen guessed a book where Jesus disappears into heaven by the 9th verse of chapter 1. (To be fair, Jesus does reappear several chapters later as a blinding light to ask Saul of Tarsus a pertinent question.) Ellen's DD guess of Exodus was decent but failed to zero in on the "Tribes are counted" TOM.

Like Ellen my thoughts on FJ went to models and I'd tried to think of what specific model had been manufactured for 100 years. The Model T? Ridiculous. Ford F150? This is getting nowhere. Unlike Ellen, I managed to get unstuck from that line of thinking and switch to makes, which was where a more careful reading of the clue pointed. Thought of Pontiac and liked that. (Wikipedia says they went from 1925 to 2010, so not a terrible guess.) But then I thought of Oldsmobile and like that even better. Stuck with Olds with a fairly high degree of confidence.

$9800 available lach trash, just $100 shy of what was needed to catch up to Mike by getting FJ correct on an all-in bet.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Foretopman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:15 pm I was pretty sure the correct FJ! response was going to be one of Oldsmobile, Mercury, or Plymouth. All three makes were discontinued in roughly the same timeframe. I finally decided that Oldsmobile best fit the given year.
Like you, I considered Plymouth, but went with Olds.
Leander

Post by Leander »

“Household” initially led me to consider appliances, but I made the adjustment to cars and came up with Oldsmobile.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:38 pm Bonus question:

Lansing, Michigan was also the site of the last what, which closed its doors in 1988.
Spoiler
Playboy Club

I got this FJ by sort of remembering when it happened, and also from having one as my first car. Not a whole lot of clues otherwise, it's kind of "Guess a car".
My first car as well. A 1978 Delta 88. I also got FJ correct.

The Gospel of John was an instaget as the answer included part of the opening line of the book, probably the second best known opening line. My only miss in the category was the DD as I also said Exodus.

Would “DNA profile” work for the last DD?

I was hoping Vanderbilt would pop up on the school category.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I also fell for the Exodus bait for DD1, but my wife, the worship leader, was quick to correct me. Easy 5/5 for her, only 3/5 for me as I also didn't know John.

I recently wrote a trivia clue about first Thanksgiving held by Chief Massasoit and the Wampanoag tribe, so it was fun to see my research pay off. :mrgreen:

As someone who was only 17 and not driving yet in 2004, this FJ was just "name a car" to me, and didn't bother with randomly guessing at the chance of being right. Oh well, on to tomorrow.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This is an FJ where it helps to be old.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:Ellen really should have bet $5 on that Bible DD. Clearly not a strong category for any of the contestants. Asked to name a book in which Jesus raised Lazarus, Max guessed a book from waaayyy before Jesus was born, and Ellen guessed a book where Jesus disappears into heaven by the 9th verse of chapter 1. (To be fair, Jesus does reappear several chapters later as a blinding light to ask Saul of Tarsus a pertinent question.) Ellen's DD guess of Exodus was decent but failed to zero in on the "Tribes are counted" TOM.
My sister, who works as a Bible translator, nailed the top four clues but took the bait on the DD. I think if she were cautioned ahead of time to take her time with the clue, she would have not been fooled. I also jumped the gun with Exodus but quickly realized it was Numbers when Anderson ruled incorrect.

FJ was an easy get for this long time car nut. I knew Pontiac went out in '09 or '10, and knowing Lansing was the home of Oldsmobile kept me from considering Plymouth or Mercury.

LT: Biding/Bidding, Coat of Arms
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Poor Max looked close to tears when DJ ended. Everyone’s nightmare. Tough game to watch. A friend of mine still drives a crappy Cutlass and I knew Pontiac and Mercury lasted until getting axed after the 2009 recession.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:54 pm This is an FJ where it helps to be old.
Yeah, this is not your son's FJ.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:00 pm The Gospel of John was an instaget as the answer included part of the opening line of the book, probably the second best known opening line.
And a deliberate riff on the best known one.
Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:00 pm I was hoping Vanderbilt would pop up on the school category.
That was my immediate pre-call. I also thought of
Spoiler
Leland Stanford and decided nah, too soon.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oldsmobile = Lansing was an easy association to finally end my losing streak.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:32 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:54 pm This is an FJ where it helps to be old.
Yeah, this is not your son's FJ.
Age may have helped a bit, though I got the model wrong. I thought the last Olds was a Cutlass Ciera, which actually ended production much earlier.

At least I'm not old enough to ask Lucille to come away with me. Though I feel like it sometimes.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.