Wednesday, April 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

Cadillac...my brain was on the right track (stereotypical senior citizen land yacht) but not -quite- close enough. Definitely could've picked it out of multiple choice. (Plus as I started reading this thread I remembered the Escalade is a thing...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

FJ was a good clue, although Boomer-centric, as many of them are. I didn't know the Olds was made in Lansing but it was on the short list. I eliminated Pontiac (surely made in Pontiac Michigan?) and any American Motors derivatives since I couldn't take Jeep, Rambler, etc.. back to 1904. I overlooked Plymouth on my checklist but was happy with Oldsmobile from the "household" name and the early beginning. "In my Merry Oldsmobile" is from 1905, even older than I thought.

Anderson didn't seem to be having as much fun tonight. Maybe he'll be refreshed after the lunch break.

The Bible category was reasonably difficult, but with enough to help you deduce. Numbers has always been a weird book to me.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

39R. 3/4 on big clues. Didn't get the Platt Amendment clue with Cuba as a response. I didn't catch the significance of the year 1901 and its connection to the Spanish-American war. I probably would have missed with the Philippines instead of Canada if I had caught that. My grandparents had an Oldsmobile. I was somewhat confident because I figured the wording "After a century..." was a tease-out metric for "old". Not great categories for me today. Lots to learn.

Missed lullaby with bedtime story. Missed John with Acts.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Wampanoag, High Fidelity, Iceland, Vera Wang, and Liverpool.

Spoiler for J6!
Spoiler
In J6 they repeated the answer of "Numbers". They also gave Exodus as a response. Maybe because people really like guessing that one. Give the people what they want. It threw me off that they re-used the same book.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:50 pm Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are... Liverpool.
To be fair, that was a tough clue if you don't know that exact game. It was easy to neg with Manchester United because they are England's biggest club and are also known as Reds(mostly Red Devils, but I have heard them called Reds). But if you're a futbol fan like me, and I know a couple others on the boards are, you remember that amazing comeback against AC Milan, sparked by Steven Gerrard's header followed by him flapping his arms to rile his team to victory. It's definitely worth a watch of the highlights if you get the chance.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:06 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:50 pm Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are... Liverpool.
To be fair, that was a tough clue if you don't know that exact game. It was easy to neg with Manchester United because they are England's biggest club and are also known as Reds(mostly Red Devils, but I have heard them called Reds). But if you're a futbol fan like me, and I know a couple others on the boards are, you remember that amazing comeback against AC Milan, sparked by Steven Gerrard's header followed by him flapping his arms to rile his team to victory. It's definitely worth a watch of the highlights if you get the chance.
I'm somewhat familiar with the high rated teams by playing FIFA. I'm not good - I usually just pick Barcelona and then gave the ball to Messi and run around. It's very effective. Haven't played for a few years. Poll request on Liverpool.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Not the greatest exhibition of J! prowess I’ve seen, but a solid performance by the champ. FJ had me flipping the Koisman koin between Olds and Mercury. Bah!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Considering I lived in Lansing for close to 20 years this FJ was on the easy side. I am curious to see how difficult it plays here. Based on the responses so far it certainly wasn't a gimme.

Ransom Eli Olds founded Oldsmobile in Lansing in 1897. The Curved Dash Olds was actually the first low price, mass-produced car even though Ford and his Model T seem to get all the credit today. He also pioneered the assembly line for manufacturing cars (Olds used a stationary line, Ford's was moving).

Olds founded another company after being booted from Oldsmobile (Olds had sold the company to someone else) which he named the REO Motor Car Company. You may be familiar with the band REO Speedwagon which took their name from one of that company's trucks. REO was more famous for trucks and lasted until the '70s.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

As a number of cities/states have done recently, Lansing just had a contest to give names to the city's snowplow fleet. Someone I know bragged on Twitter that she had submitted one of the winners: "Coldsmobile."
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I saw "counted" and went straight to Numbers.

Chrysler for FJ!

I noticed AC said Burma B4 Myanmar. FWIW, so did I, though my hands and part of my mind were occupied at the time. Which way did others break on the Burma v. Myanmar choice?
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My grandmother bought one new (whatever year that would be) and later sold it to my parents for either a penny or a dollar.
Spoiler
Pretty sure it was a Cutlass. Definitely it was roomy as my grandmother used it to drive non-driving church ladies to and from meetings
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Was sorry to see Max's nerves get the better of him. This was a different game, maybe, if DD1 was solved. But I fell for the same trap there.

Got the Oldsmobile solve but spent the 30 worrying it would be Pontiac instead. A quick search shows that ended five years later.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
davey

Post by davey »

Not a car person. Never sat in an Oldsmobile, as far as I know. Still got this without hesitation and little second-guessing. I remember reading about the demise (though I would have said it was more recent), and the emphasis on venerability was a strong pointer...It's not "In my merry Mercury..."
Golf

Post by Golf »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:06 pm To be fair, that was a tough clue if you don't know that exact game. It was easy to neg with Manchester United because they are England's biggest club and are also known as Reds(mostly Red Devils, but I have heard them called Reds). But if you're a futbol fan like me, and I know a couple others on the boards are, you remember that amazing comeback against AC Milan, sparked by Steven Gerrard's header followed by him flapping his arms to rile his team to victory. It's definitely worth a watch of the highlights if you get the chance.
I didn't know that game, but did know Liverpool is properly referred to as the Reds while that's not totally accurate for Man U.

However if Eurotrip is your only soccer knowledge, you would be screwed.

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

From the Archive:
runs: Bible Books (easy $ for the taking), Where in the World, Newer Phrases (3)
DDs: :D :( (Philippines) :( (fingerprints)
trash: biding/bidding, Ruth, John, wading/wadding, Numbers DD, Wampanoag, Burma, miles to go before I sleep, armor
FJ: What is Buick. Damn I shoulda got this :oops:
Fell for Manchester United. :evil:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:36 am My grandmother bought one new (whatever year that would be) and later sold it to my parents for either a penny or a dollar.
Spoiler
Pretty sure it was a Cutlass. Definitely it was roomy as my grandmother used it to drive non-driving church ladies to and from meetings
Was your grandmother Quaker?

Insta get final. I rented an olds Bravada in 2000 and drove it through that tree you can drive through. Not long after that they announced that olds was closing and I remember thinking that that trip with the Bravada would probably be the last time I drove an olds.

Whatever was Max doing on that stage? The lawyer in the middle should have been more of a contender but was Her Own Worst Enemy by answering clues she didn't know the answer to.

I said Burma and then quickly thought oops they changed the name of of that country more than 30 years ago. But not only was Burma an acceptable answer, the host gave it before the correct name of the country. Somebody at Jeopardy must have taken to Heart William safire's complaint that the only thing more silly than them changing the name to Myanmar was the media recognizing the name change.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:37 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:36 am My grandmother bought one new (whatever year that would be) and later sold it to my parents for either a penny or a dollar.
Spoiler
Was your grandmother Quaker?
No, Protestant (DoC). I don't know if the deal was done with the nominal fee to make it a sale instead of a gift? Whatever the details my parents were happy with the generosity since their other car (a Plymouth Valiant) was on its last legs.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (My mom and sister are going to kill me for missing Christian Siriano.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Relating to a clue in this episode. Here is an old Facebook post from QuizUp featuring Beyoncé at the Blue Lagoon.
Attachments
B337DFBB-0CD4-4822-A7B2-A948BA9D4570.jpeg
B337DFBB-0CD4-4822-A7B2-A948BA9D4570.jpeg (274.45 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
Douglas Squasoni