Thursday, April 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTINENTAL GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea & Somalia make up this region named for its resemblance to a part of a native animal

Mike Nelson: 9900+3501=13401
Monica St. Dennis: 13400+13000=26400
Kelly Donohue: 18000+8801=26801 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
the Horn of Africa

Daily Doubles
Mike: 2000-1000
Mike: 9600-2500
Kelly: 13000+5000

Coryats
Mike: 13400
Monica: 13400
Kelly: 13800

Combined: 40,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Mike: 4800
Monica: 3800
Kelly: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Extended credits alert.

That alone indicates today's game was better than the one yesterday.

Ciao Roma! :lol:

PREMIERE EPISODES caught me on the HBO Max actress to cost me a run while I added a lot more on my paper than Kelly with $5K on DD3 there in the second box.

Oh, goody, a Disney show hype all video category in the J! round. So typical.

The FJ! clue was advantage leader and I joined the players for a no-nonsense solve. It's nice to sometimes deal with identical simple responses without having to interpret what was written and navigate three different incorrect responses.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

No Idea on Final.

Lach Trash - How to Get Away With Murder
ACW

Post by ACW »

What's the animal? A rhino?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started with a camel’s hump but switched to the horn in time.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ACW wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:25 pm What's the animal? A rhino?
Correct. Anderson mentioned that, didn't he?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Mythological Idioms, Odd Numbers
DDs: :D :D :( (nuthin')
trash: arroz con pollo (just had some last night 8-) ), Solomon Islands DD, Actium, the face that launched a thousand ships DD, (4000)
FJ: What is the Horn of Africa? Instaget. :mrgreen: Didn't even need the animal reference.
Someone please pass the brain bleach on the Nudist Priest clue. :vomit:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

A well played game overall. I can’t recall another where the Coryats were so close. Teen tournament FJ. I correctly predicted a triple get.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Woof wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:19 pm I correctly predicted a triple get.
Same, but Anderson threw in some nice misdirection by claiming he couldn't read their faces even though he must've been told who got it right before the responses were revealed, just like with Alex.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:26 pm I started with a camel’s hump but switched to the horn in time.
I failed to make the switch, partly because I started in Arabia and got hung up on the camel as the local animal. When I saw Somalia, then I knew exactly what the region looked like, and stayed with camel hump because well, it does look like a camel hump in my mind. And now that I've looked at an actual map, well, it doesn't :roll: . I will be in the 8-18% of misses this week.

At least the new champ is my namesake, so the over for Kelly is holding at 50%. It is a rare name for males since the Baby Boom flipped the gender trend. Growing up and meeting other kids, it was always "My cousin is named Kelly. She's a Girrrrrll :lol: .

I thought the whale clues were intersting and unobtrusive. I think the key is not to have a narrator from the show/channel deliver them and let the Alex impersonator read them. Another 3 day champ and Thursday post-lunch casualty.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

37R. 1/4 on big clues. Got FJ right away. Might have gotten Antiques Roadshow but didn't get it in time so I'll count it as wrong. Me yesterday: "I wish I would get more FJs right". Monkey's paw curls. All DDs wrong. Tough day for me. Lots to learn. After a nap.

Anderson was noticeably different than the previous shows. Much speedier.

Too bad to see Mike go. It seems like he really enjoyed getting to compete and it was fun for me to watch.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are the Shetlands, the Solomon Islands, kismet, Actium, and cassock. And several more.

For the potatoes clue, the Brian Friel story in County Tyrone, was the main path County Tyrone->Ireland->Potatoes? Was there any other tease out metric? Ireland is also famous for potatoes not growing. I'm able to find the story The Potato Gatherers online but no mention of it on Wikipedia.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:50 pm For the potatoes clue, the Brian Friel story in County Tyrone, was the main path County Tyrone->Ireland->Potatoes? Was there any other tease out metric? Ireland is also famous for potatoes not growing. I'm able to find the story The Potato Gatherers online but no mention of it on Wikipedia.
"County (x)" should Pavlov Ireland.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I never really considered the "Horn of Africa" was an allusion to a rhino's horn, but it makes sense. Still a pretty easy FJ, I thought.

I've thought Mike Nelson looked familiar since his first appearance, and it made sense to me when Anderson explained that he's been in many national commercials. The strange thing is I thought he was the guy in the TD Ameritrade commercials, but turns out that's someone else who looks very similar named Jim Conroy!

This is Jim:
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

DBear wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:30 pm ... trash: arroz con pollo (just had some last night 8-) )
I learned all about Arroz Con Pollo from Ricky Ricardo. :)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:06 pm I never really considered the "Horn of Africa" was an allusion to a rhino's horn, but it makes sense. Still a pretty easy FJ, I thought.

I've thought Mike Nelson looked familiar since his first appearance, and it made sense to me when Anderson explained that he's been in many national commercials. The strange thing is I thought he was the guy in the TD Ameritrade commercials, but turns out that's someone else who looks very similar named Jim Conroy!

This is Jim:
I thought exactly the same but felt that the Ameritrade guy was taller. Mikes probably most recognizable from several GEICO ads.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:54 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:50 pm For the potatoes clue, the Brian Friel story in County Tyrone, was the main path County Tyrone->Ireland->Potatoes? Was there any other tease out metric? Ireland is also famous for potatoes not growing. I'm able to find the story The Potato Gatherers online but no mention of it on Wikipedia.
"County (x)" should Pavlov Ireland.
This was fairly obvious (also Friel is famous for his plays like Dancing at Lughnasa) but I hesitated because "picking" seemed the wrong idiom for potatoes. Don't you dig them up?
For "Whales" $400, any reason mating doesn't work for "courting"? That was a little vague, and Google defaults from "whales courting" to "whales mating"...
Speaking of obvious...I was nervous about the category, but that was the easiest FJ clue in a while. "The Horn of Africa" was a whole first-round category just last year...
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I’ll be headed to one of those Horn of Africa countries mid-2022 so I was happy to see that clue. Cooper was a bit manic today. Good game all around; it’s a shame only one could win.