Friday, April 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, April 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:09 am
I hadn't thought about the S&P angle. What's the worry there? That the host might slow down or speed up to aid a favored contestant? My automatic thought is "Alex would never do that", so it's hard for me to evaluate whether it's hypothetically more of a danger than contestant collusion. You may be right. Especially since Standards & Practices exist precisely because once upon a time a game show host DID collude with others to throw the game to favored contestants.

I know contestants sometimes appear to deliberately drag things out to preserve a lead. But that's not an ethical or legal violation, I don't think. It's just irritating and another argument for ReadEveryClue. Hem and haw all you want, slappy. We'll fix it in post.
The former scenario is what I had in mind. Caesar's wife, you know.
I'm smart and I want respect.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Seriously, someone explain to me the logic of both Kelly and Dan's wagers. Dan's especially.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

ACW wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:13 pm Seriously, someone explain to me the logic of both Kelly and Dan's wagers. Dan's especially.
Well, no one's defending Dan's. I'd guess it's close to indefensible, but I'd be curious to see someone take a shot. For Kelly's wager, on the other hand, at least a quarter of this thread involves discussing and mostly defending it. Have a look. Maybe it will persuade you the way it did me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

ACW wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:13 pm Seriously, someone explain to me the logic of both Kelly and Dan's wagers. Dan's especially.
What was wrong with Kelly’s wager?
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

IMO, Dan miscalculated and didn't know that he had exactly half the value of first place. He thought that Kelly had already won the game, so he bet enough to lock at Kimberly in third place.

Kelly's bet, he liked the category enough that he decided he'd rather take his chance on getting FJ right and winning right there (assuming Dan bet it right and got it right). IF Kelly doesn't like the category he bet's zero and leaves it completely up to Dan.

Kelly knows how well he is doing head to head against Dan on the buzzer, based on the overall results, it appears that he was a bit stronger than Dan but it is more than obvious that both of those two were both beating Kimberly more often than not. I don't know that I'd want it to come down to one clue if I could help it. Also, based on history, that one clue is usually pretty easy. Pure buzzer race.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Sherm wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:58 pm
IMO, Dan miscalculated and didn't know that he had exactly half the value of first place. He thought that Kelly had already won the game, so he bet enough to lock at Kimberly in third place.

Kelly's bet, he liked the category enough that he decided he'd rather take his chance on getting FJ right and winning right there (assuming Dan bet it right and got it right). IF Kelly doesn't like the category he bet's zero and leaves it completely up to Dan.

Kelly knows how well he is doing head to head against Dan on the buzzer, based on the overall results, it appears that he was a bit stronger than Dan but it is more than obvious that both of those two were both beating Kimberly more often than not. I don't know that I'd want it to come down to one clue if I could help it. Also, based on history, that one clue is usually pretty easy. Pure buzzer race.
But buzzer is also based on quickness, which isn't a factor in FJ.
Also, bring back ties.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ACW wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:59 pm
Sherm wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:58 pm

But buzzer is also based on quickness, which isn't a factor in FJ.
Also, bring back ties.
Sherm: they edit out any stumper tiebreakers so we only ever see the buzzer race in the end.

ACW: If Kelly bets $0, though, buzzer speed is a factor again
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed Electoral College Alumni $600, Supporting TV Characters $600 & $1000, and Stars $1200 & $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
ACW

Post by ACW »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:57 pm ACW: If Kelly bets $0, though, buzzer speed is a factor again
This is true (I hate the tiebreaker).