Monday, April 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, April 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:47 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:05 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:01 pm Renamed cities that I can list offhand are the correct answer, a couple of Russian ones, Beijing/Peking, Hanoi/whatever, I'm out of time / Tulsa.
Christiania/Oslo always a good one to remember.
Regina, Saskatchewan was originally known as Pile of Bones. But that's way beyond the level of most Jeopardy! contestants. Maybe for a TOC. Or maybe supply Pile of Bones AND Regina in the clue and name the category STARTS WITH "SASK".
#7743, aired 2018-04-18 "R" TOWN $1200: Once known as Pile O' Bones, in 1882 this western Canadian city was renamed in honor of Queen Victoria
#4797, aired 2005-06-14 ODDPODGE $800: Once called "Pile o' Bones", this city with a population near 200,000 is the capital of Saskatchewan province
#4557, aired 2004-06-01 THE REGINA MONOLOGUES $1,000 (Daily Double): In 1882 the city then known as "Pile O' Bones" was renamed Regina in this person's honor
#1795, aired 1992-05-22 WORLD CITIES $1000: Regina, this Canadian province's capital, was originally called Pile O'Bones
#1206, aired 1989-11-27 GEOGRAPHY $500: Pile O' Bones was the original name of this capital of Saskatchewan
Yep. The contestant record on those clues is not great. #4557 is asking for the name of the queen in 1882, not anything about Canadian geography. It was a get. The others are three triple stumpers and a get after a miss. #7743 and #4797 were stand and stares. #1206 provoked Lisa's guess of Saskatoon and then silence. (A category of STARTS WITH "SASK" would not have helped her, but it might have emboldened one of the other two to take a shot at the rebound.) Only #1795 led to a correct response... after a miss with Manitoba followed by the contestant saying "It's the other one" to much mirth by Alex and contestants.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:41 am
Yep. The contestant record on those clues is not great. #4557 is asking for the name of the queen in 1882, not anything about Canadian geography. It was a get. The others are three triple stumpers and a get after a miss. #7743 and #4797 were stand and stares. #1206 provoked Lisa's guess of Saskatoon and then silence. (A category of STARTS WITH "SASK" would not have helped her, but it might have emboldened one of the other two to take a shot at the rebound.) Only #1795 led to a correct response... after a miss with Manitoba followed by the contestant saying "It's the other one" to much mirth by Alex and contestants.
Saskatoon is always a better answer than Regina.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Picked Off wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:04 am I remain on Team Ken for a permanent host for a lot of reasons, but Anderson Cooper has been the best guest host by far.
In terms of energy level, I found Mike manic, Anderson subdued, and Ken just right.

My man Nick lost that lute / lyre coin flip :/

I drew a total blank on "stealing my thunder" - I knew I knew it but it took a lot of mental gymnastics to get there. I blame the cobwebs on my long pause on jeopardy watching due to my current state of languishing

'Who is Robin...?' 'I need a last name.' 'Er, Robin Givens?' 'Sorry, no.' :oops:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:44 pm My man Nick lost that lute / lyre coin flip :/

I drew a total blank on "stealing my thunder" - I knew I knew it but it took a lot of mental gymnastics to get there. I blame the cobwebs on my long pause on jeopardy watching due to my current state of languishing

'Who is Robin...?' 'I need a last name.' 'Er, Robin Givens?' 'Sorry, no.' :oops:
Lute vs lyre is only a coin flip if you can't picture either one. Otherwise "round-bodied" takes you right to lute (and "4-letter" rules out mandolin).
lyre
lute
To be fair, I did find a round-bodied lyre, but that's not typical. The lyre image above is what you should have in mind for J! purposes when a lyre is mentioned.
round-bodied lyre
Like you, I blanked on "stealing my thunder". I'd always assumed "thunder" meant "applause" and the idiom simply meant someone was taking the applause that ought to have gone to someone else. I was even skeptical of the clue since it's rare to have such a precise and detailed origin story for these kinds of things. But the OED entry on "thunder, n." confirms. Now I want to go back through every time I've ever read or heard the phrase and analyze the usage.

I too thought Robin Givens but was able to swat that away and latch onto the correct name in time.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:31 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:45 pm Anderson gave an alternate response for the "slur" word response that might make zakharov a bit happier?
That alternative was Roma. Would they also accept Romany? I feel safer sticking with the slur. Erm... no offense?
Hope so -- that was my response.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:29 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:44 pm My man Nick lost that lute / lyre coin flip :/
Lute vs lyre is only a coin flip if you can't picture either one. Otherwise "round-bodied" takes you right to lute (and "4-letter" rules out mandolin).
Thank you! It's always been a coin flip for me. I need to go back to The Metropolitan Museum of Art and study the musical instruments in their impossibly vast collection.

The Handel double miss was sad.

FEMALE AUTHORS & SOME MALE ONES, TOO (really, writers?)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:55 pm
Thank you! It's always been a coin flip for me. I need to go back to The Metropolitan Museum of Art and study the musical instruments in their impossibly vast collection.

Yeah, didn't know whether to laugh or cry on that.

The Met museum is always a good idea, but you may have the right mental images in your head already. Picture an instrument being played by an ancient Greek or Roman--nude or flowing robe, your choice, and maybe some kind of leafy garland around the head. That'll be the lyre. Now picture an instrument being played by a medieval troubadour with a hat that looks like a loaf of bread. That's the lute.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:15 pm

I was only surprised that no one said the Royal Fireworks suite, my own guess. I suppose I fixed more on King and party, and a barge would be a good place from which to view the show...
I never heard the Byzas story, and I latched onto the Greek-sounding names to guess Athens - didn't consider the "echoes" that Byzas night invoke... :oops:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

How about this ... If someone told you they played one nowadays, they'd be a lyre.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:01 pm I actually thought the Byzantium answer should have counted, until I re-read (actually read) the whole clue.
I think there's enough ambiguity that, had it made a difference in the game, Nick might have grounds for appeal.

"The mythical founder Byzas consulted the Oracle of Delphi before establishing what’s now known as this city."

In many contexts, especially in historical discussions, Byzantium is still "now known as Byzantium." We don't talk about pre-Constantine emperors having Istanbul as the seat of their government.

Perhaps a rephrasing to something like, "The mythical founder Byzas consulted the Oracle of Delphi before establishing the city whose current name is this" could reduce the ambiguity. To my mind, "known as" and "currently named" are not necessarily synonymous.

An analogous case could be "The Dutch founded a town on Manhattan Island establishing what is now known as this city." The desired and obvious answer would be New York City. But it's since the clue is "known as," could we legitimately rule as incorrect "the city that never sleeps."?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:57 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:15 pm

I was only surprised that no one said the Royal Fireworks suite, my own guess. I suppose I fixed more on King and party, and a barge would be a good place from which to view the show...
That would have required the players to have too MUCH knowledge (and maybe a little bit of derp) rather than too little.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

alietr wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:58 pm How about this ... If someone told you they played one nowadays, they'd be a lyre.
Or maybe just plain oud.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 am
Regina, Saskatchewan was originally known as Pile of
It's not pronounced like the name Regina. It rhymes with vagina.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:31 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:45 pm Anderson gave an alternate response for the "slur" word response that might make zakharov a bit happier?
That alternative was Roma. Would they also accept Romany? I feel safer sticking with the slur. Erm... no offense?
Why would you want to stick with a slur?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Radio on the TV $800, $1600, and $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni