Tuesday, April 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. NATIONAL PARKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This subtropical region is a biosphere reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, &, as of 1947, a National Park

Kelly Donohue: 2800+2795=5595
Dana Schumacher-Schmidt: 20100+500=20600 (New Champ)
John Prokod: 9400+9000=18400

Correct response:
Spoiler
the Everglades

Daily Doubles
John: 800+1000
Kelly: 7000-5000
Dana: 10000+2500

Coryats
Kelly: 7800
Dana: 18800
John: 9400

Combined: 36,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kelly: 5400
Dana: 3200
John: 4600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John's story made me smile as I also auditioned in S.F. in 1995 and had Alex show up as a surprise guest. He took Q&A while the tests were being graded.

KING $800 also made me smile with fond memories: This kids’ game involves climbing a mound of some sort & laying waste to all who try to dethrone you

In 4th, 5th or 6th grade some new playground equipment was being added to a vacant lot above the schoolyard. A huge pile of wood chips (tanbark) prior to being properly spread out under the equipment was available to play the game. It was rough and it was fun and if anyone got hurt physically or mentally it wasn't me no matter how many times I got thrown down by bigger kids. Gotta love being kids in the 1970s before school shenanigans gradually got clamped down on more and more.

The FJ! clue was a good spot to miss one since I was way off in having a miss all to myself with Bikini Atoll. I had no idea where to even go with the clue and it would probably have been a LL miss as well.

If Kelly solved DD2 then he would have broken the lock and added to Dana's pay day unless she blinked when it came to wagering time. What exactly did John Focht do to the champ's spot when he left in February? It's sure working.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It took me every bit of the 30 seconds but I managed to puzzle out Final. Whew!

It didn't help that I didn't know the precise definition of "subtropical". I had to presume that it didn't mean "south of the tropics" since that leaves out all familiar (probably all?) U.S. national parks. I also had to presume it didn't mean "everything colder than tropical" because I've never heard of Alaska, for example, referred to as "subtropical". I usually hear of Hawaii referred to as "tropical" (indeed, all its major islands are just south of the tropic of Cancer) so that rules out anything in or around Hawaii. It seems that "subtropical" refers to latitude zones both north and south of the tropics, "between 23°26′11.6″ and approximately 35° in the northern hemisphere and in the southern hemisphere". Guessing correctly at that, I was left with a lot of the southern continental U.S.

I knew that Death Valley was a National Monument until Clinton (1994), so I was able to rule that out. That allowed me to turn my attention east. So what's really biologically diverse, big enough to be called a "region", and in the southeast United States? Bingo.

(I had to briefly consider and reject the Appalachian Trail, which I thought was big enough to be called a "region". I wasn't sure, within the 30 seconds, whether this was a National Park or not, but I guessed it wasn't. Turns out that the trail is in part managed by the National Park Service, but is not, itself, a national park. It does pass through two national parks, Great Smoky Mountains in North Carolina and Shenandoah in Virginia.)

If this was an instaget for you, congrats. I almost gave up twice.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:32 pm It took me every bit of the 30 seconds but I managed to puzzle out Final. Whew!

It didn't help that I didn't know the precise definition of "subtropical". I had to presume that it didn't mean "south of the tropics" since that leaves out all familiar (probably all?) U.S. national parks. I also had to presume it didn't mean "everything colder than tropical" because I've never heard of Alaska, for example, referred to as "subtropical". I usually hear of Hawaii referred to as "tropical" (indeed, all its major islands are just south of the tropic of Cancer) so that rules out anything in or around Hawaii. It seems that "subtropical" refers to latitude zones both north and south of the tropics, "between 23°26′11.6″ and approximately 35° in the northern hemisphere and in the southern hemisphere". Guessing correctly at that, I was left with a lot of the southern continental U.S.

I knew that Death Valley was a National Monument until Clinton (1994), so I was able to rule that out. That allowed me to turn my attention east. So what's really biologically diverse, big enough to be called a "region", and in the southeast United States? Bingo.

(I had to briefly consider and reject the Appalachian Trail, which I thought was big enough to be called a "region". I wasn't sure, within the 30 seconds, whether this was a National Park or not, but I guessed it wasn't. Turns out that the trail is in part managed by the National Park Service, but is not, itself, a national park. It does pass through two national parks, Great Smoky Mountains in North Carolina and Shenandoah in Virginia.)

If this was an instaget for you, congrats. I almost gave up twice.
Honestly, they should've removed the word "subtropical".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

ACW wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:01 pm Honestly, they should've removed the word "subtropical".
By Köppen climate classification, a pretty sizable portion of the continental US is "subtropical", including places you wouldn't think of as such, like NYC and Pittsburgh.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:48 pm
ACW wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:01 pm Honestly, they should've removed the word "subtropical".
By Köppen climate classification, a pretty sizable portion of the continental US is "subtropical", including places you wouldn't think of as such, like NYC and Pittsburgh.
And including most of Hawaii which, as noted above, is literally in the tropics.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Rough Game for Me Today.

No clue on Final Once again. I didnt even know Everglades was considered a Park. yeah, im stupid.

Lach Trash - Bird Box

Apparently we have a 3x to 4x Hurdle we need to Jump Now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:48 pm
And including most of Hawaii which, as noted above, is literally in the tropics.
I read it as being in the tropics and no National Parks in Hawaii came to mind.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Well, that makes it tropical - not subtropical. The difference is appreciable temperature variability between seasons.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:27 pm
Well, that makes it tropical - not subtropical. The difference is appreciable temperature variability between seasons.
I may have been misreading this color-coded map. The color for humid subtropical is almost the same as that used for oceanic (both are bright green).

FWIW, someone in this Quora thread says that Hawaii's climate is best described as subtropical.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:10 pm I read it as being in the tropics and no National Parks in Hawaii came to mind.
Incidentally, Diamond Head in Hawaii is a state park and state monument, and not a national park. Diamond Head is not to be confused with Crater of Diamonds, which is a state park in Arkansas, and also not a national park. (I thought of both of these during my 30 second tour around the country, but discarded them not because I realized they were not national parks, but because I considered them both probably not biodiverse enough to meet the other clue criteria.)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:30 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:27 pm
I may have been misreading this color-coded map. The color for humid subtropical is almost the same as that used for oceanic (both are bright green).

FWIW, someone in this Quora thread says that Hawaii's climate is best described as subtropical.
To be fair, Hawaii's climate is heavily dependent on elevation. At the summit of Mauna Kea, it can snow any time of the year!

Here is what I can find on Honolulu (with the Wikipedia grain of salt):

Honolulu experiences a tropical semi-arid climate (Köppen classification BSh), with a mostly dry summer season, due to a rain shadow effect

Here is (again, Wikipedia) a definition I found:

This climate features mean temperature in the coldest month between 0 °C (32 °F) or −3 °C (27 °F) and 18 °C (64 °F) and mean temperature in the warmest month 22 °C (72 °F) or higher

Honolulu's coolest month is 22.8 °C, which is why it is classified as a tropical climate.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I didn't have to worry about what was or wasn't subtropical -- instaget. :)
Leander

Post by Leander »

I skipped any consideration of Hawaii since it wasn’t a state in 1947 and therefore unlikely to have a National Park at that time. Went directly to Florida and the Everglades.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Leander wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:38 pm I skipped any consideration of Hawaii since it wasn’t a state in 1947 and therefore unlikely to have a National Park at that time. Went directly to Florida and the Everglades.
There are National Parks in Samoa and USVI. The first park was also in a non-state at the time.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Subtropical" made this one impossible to miss for me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:38 pm I skipped any consideration of Hawaii since it wasn’t a state in 1947 and therefore unlikely to have a National Park at that time.
It actually had 1 then: Hawaiian (Volcanoes) National Park was established in 1916.