Tuesday, April 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:24 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:20 pm
brick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:05 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:55 am I really don't think "gypsy" is a slur in American English.
I have American friends of Roma descent who strongly disagree. When you know better, you do better.
Do they believe that Americans who use the demonym are consciously using it in a derogatory manner? Or do they think most of us are unconsciously using a term that they have come to regard as a racial slur? How long have they felt this way? Would their parents or grandparents have self-identified as gypsy?
Only you’re clearly not doing it unconsciously because we’re sitting here having the conversation and it’s been made known to you multiple times and yet you’re just going to keep right on saying you don’t see a problem with the word?
Right now I'm gathering information and evaluating the sources. If it's not possible to do that without people leveling false accusations, then I guess I'll bow out of the conversation without learning what I need to know.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:18 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:18 pm But I don't think he's obligated to do anything since he did nothing wrong. And he's already paid dearly by having to face a savage mob with torches and pitchforks intent on lynching him before hearing what he had to say. Every single person who publicly accused him should post an equally forceful public apology. Maybe those people can donate to ADL or BLM as a sign of contrition. I don't think Kelly needs to.
I'm happy he wrote a more forceful repudiation of white supremacy, but I think it's also worth pointing out that the Three Percenters claim to not be a white supremacist organization, so his statement doesn't preclude involvement with that group.
So we're still leaving room for the possibility that he's lying about his reasons for flashing the sign and he's playing us? I suppose that's possible.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:55 am I really don't think "gypsy" is a slur in American English.
I have American friends of Roma descent who strongly disagree. When you know better, you do better.
Do they believe that Americans who use the demonym are consciously using it in a derogatory manner? Or do they think most of us are unconsciously using a term that they have come to regard as a racial slur? How long have they felt this way? Would their parents or grandparents have self-identified as gypsy?
In general they understand that not everyone has heard so they will educate once... but if you dig in your heels they feel just fine writing you off as an intentional bigot. Their parents call themselves Roma and are also upset by the term g**** and the term for ripping people off based on it. I think their grandparents may have used g****... and so did Hitler when he was rounding them up and exterminating them.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:29 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:18 pm But I don't think he's obligated to do anything since he did nothing wrong. And he's already paid dearly by having to face a savage mob with torches and pitchforks intent on lynching him before hearing what he had to say. Every single person who publicly accused him should post an equally forceful public apology. Maybe those people can donate to ADL or BLM as a sign of contrition. I don't think Kelly needs to.
I'm happy he wrote a more forceful repudiation of white supremacy, but I think it's also worth pointing out that the Three Percenters claim to not be a white supremacist organization, so his statement doesn't preclude involvement with that group.
So we're still leaving room for the possibility that he's lying about his reasons for flashing the sign and he's playing us? I suppose that's possible.
Of course there's that possibility. I'll take him at his word, however, unless there's some other evidence to the contrary. Carry on.

P.S. I was wrong that his statement doesn't preclude involvement with the aforementioned group since he said the gesture only indicated three wins and nothing more, so I apologize for that inaccuracy.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:28 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:24 pm
Only you’re clearly not doing it unconsciously because we’re sitting here having the conversation and it’s been made known to you multiple times and yet you’re just going to keep right on saying you don’t see a problem with the word?
Right now I'm gathering information and evaluating the sources. If it's not possible to do that without people leveling false accusations, then I guess I'll bow out of the conversation without learning what I need to know.
False accusations? What?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:20 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:19 pm
You sure know a lot about the 3 Percenters. Something you want to tell us all?
There's this thing called Google, Myron.
I'm aware. It's just never occurred to me to spend my time googling obscure extremist hate groups.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:32 pm
In general they understand that not everyone has heard so they will educate once... but if you dig in your heels they feel just fine writing you off as an intentional bigot. Their parents call themselves Roma and are also upset by the term g**** and the term for ripping people off based on it. I think their grandparents may have used g****... and so did Hitler when he was rounding them up and exterminating them.
I've always known--well not always, but for a long time--that the verb "gyp" is a slur and have avoided using it. ("Jew" as a verb has been used similarly, but that hasn't led to a change in the demonym, Hitler's usage notwithstanding.) Do you know if the verb form--which, again, I definitely recognize as a slur--was the main reason for switching to Roma and declaring the former term to be off-limits? Obviously (I hope, though given the temperature of this thread, who knows?) if I had Roma friends who asked me not to use the term around them, I would comply. And that would probably affect my usage when not around them as well.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying and I'll give this some thought. I'm probably just getting my back up because I'm feeling old and tired of all the rule changes and the accusations that result when someone misses one of them. As I continue to age, I expect to miss more and more of them and eventually to be written off as a bigot or a fool. Of the two, I'm hoping for fool, but people aren't that charitable. I'm just tired. I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to constantly have to prove my non-racist credentials and still get the side eye half the time anyway.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:42 pm
I'm aware. It's just never occurred to me to spend my time googling obscure extremist hate groups.
Unfortunately not as obscure as they should be.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:53 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:42 pm

Unfortunately not as obscure as they should be.
Fair enough. I'm bored with this folly, and I appreciate that you apologized upthread. Obviously neither you nor I are sympathetic to the cause of any hate group or any group that would use threats and violence to advance their cause.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:59 pm Fair enough. I'm bored with this folly, and I appreciate that you apologized upthread. Obviously neither you nor I are sympathetic to the cause of any hate group or any group that would use threats and violence to advance their cause.
Agreed and at this point there's no point in belaboring it further. I just sent you a PM, by the way.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:52 pm
brick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:32 pm
I've always known--well not always, but for a long time--that the verb "gyp" is a slur and have avoided using it. ("Jew" as a verb has been used similarly, but that hasn't led to a change in the demonym, Hitler's usage notwithstanding.) Do you know if the verb form--which, again, I definitely recognize as a slur--was the main reason for switching to Roma and declaring the former term to be off-limits? Obviously (I hope, though given the temperature of this thread, who knows?) if I had Roma friends who asked me not to use the term around them, I would comply. And that would probably affect my usage when not around them as well.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying and I'll give this some thought. I'm probably just getting my back up because I'm feeling old and tired of all the rule changes and the accusations that result when someone misses one of them. As I continue to age, I expect to miss more and more of them and eventually to be written off as a bigot or a fool. Of the two, I'm hoping for fool, but people aren't that charitable. I'm just tired. I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to constantly have to prove my non-racist credentials and still get the side eye half the time anyway.
Your question on the chronology of the shift in acceptable usage is interesting and I do not know the answer. I do not interact with the one particular friend I discussed this with in depth in the way I once did, so I'm not sure when I will have an opportunity to pick her brain on that piece of things. On the parallel to the usage of Jew as a verb, etc... I will say that it has been made quite clear to me that most Jewish people are very offended by being called "a Jew", in most contexts. You can say "Bill is Jewish" but not "Bill is a Jew."

Also, I hate to tell you, but it's always going to be hard to label you a fool, so...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:28 pm Your question on the chronology of the shift in acceptable usage is interesting and I do not know the answer. I do not interact with the one particular friend I discussed this with in depth in the way I once did, so I'm not sure when I will have an opportunity to pick her brain on that piece of things. On the parallel to the usage of Jew as a verb, etc... I will say that it has been made quite clear to me that most Jewish people are very offended by being called "a Jew", in most contexts. You can say "Bill is Jewish" but not "Bill is a Jew."

Also, I hate to tell you, but it's always going to be hard to label you a fool, so...
So "bigot" it is, eh? :lol: I'll just have to keep at the fool angle until I convince everyone otherwise. ;)

I don't know that anyone's ever told me in so many words that "Jew" is offensive, but "Jewish" isn't. But I've definitely noticed that I feel comfortable using the adjective and awkward using the noun. It's an odd thing. My Jewish friends by and large seem to be comfortable describing themselves as Jews. But it definitely feels like a description they're freer to use than I am.

Several years back I found out via some genealogical research that I'm part Jewish. My great-grandfather on my mother's father's side was a Lithuanian Jew(ish person) who converted to Catholicism. So I definitely lost my rights to membership in "the tribe" a few generations back. But ethnically, that makes me, what? 1/8th Jewish? Or 1/16 if we consider that my great-grandfather gave it up.

I'm also 3/16 Polish. I remember my grandfather, via whom I received that ethnicity, had a big book of Polack jokes and thought they were hilarious.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:50 pm
brick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:28 pm Your question on the chronology of the shift in acceptable usage is interesting and I do not know the answer. I do not interact with the one particular friend I discussed this with in depth in the way I once did, so I'm not sure when I will have an opportunity to pick her brain on that piece of things. On the parallel to the usage of Jew as a verb, etc... I will say that it has been made quite clear to me that most Jewish people are very offended by being called "a Jew", in most contexts. You can say "Bill is Jewish" but not "Bill is a Jew."

So "bigot" it is, eh? :lol: I'll just have to keep at the fool angle until I convince everyone otherwise. ;)

I don't know that anyone's ever told me in so many words that "Jew" is offensive, but "Jewish" isn't. But I've definitely noticed that I feel comfortable using the adjective and awkward using the noun. It's an odd thing. My Jewish friends by and large seem to be comfortable describing themselves as Jews. But it definitely feels like a description they're freer to use than I am.

Several years back I found out via some genealogical research that I'm part Jewish. My great-grandfather on my mother's father's side was a Lithuanian Jew(ish person) who converted to Catholicism. So I definitely lost my rights to membership in "the tribe" a few generations back. But ethnically, that makes me, what? 1/8th Jewish? Or 1/16 if we consider that my great-grandfather gave it up.

I'm also 3/16 Polish. I remember my grandfather, via whom I received that ethnicity, had a big book of Polack jokes and thought they were hilarious.
But obviously no one has to explain the difference between what I can say about my people and what you can, vice versa.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:38 pm But obviously no one has to explain the difference between what I can say about my people and what you can, vice versa.
Definitely. It's kind of sad, though, since I only know 3 Gentile jokes. I feel as though my community is under-served.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:43 pm
brick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:38 pm But obviously no one has to explain the difference between what I can say about my people and what you can, vice versa.
Definitely. It's kind of sad, though, since I only know 3 Gentile jokes. I feel as though my community is under-served.
I don't know any gentile jokes, but I know plenty of Irish jokes and I can go there any time I like. Most of us have a well or two we can draw from if we choose.
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

I was trying to find the right place for this but intros and hosting didn't seem to be the right one. And I don't think search is going to help me, so pardon my misplacement.

I noticed earlier this week, since I'm from Boston, that Johnny Gilbert was mispronouncing Winthrop, although Anderson wasn't. I'm sure Johnny has a bigger job than I think he does, but does anybody tell him how to pronounce these obscure Town names?

I come from the land of Winthrop, Peabody, Haverhill, and Billerica, not to mention loads of Indian names, and Waltham which people don't seem to know how to pronounce any better than people know how to pronounce Bangor. I admit there's a trick to those. The people in Bangor even got somebody to write a song about how to pronounce it and you can watch it on YouTube.

I know when I was a teenager we knew the new DJs because they couldn't pronounce Billerica and Haverhill.

Anyway, does anybody know how this is dealt with? It's a minor thing, unless you're from there. I'm from Westwood, so that's pretty simple.

And I apologize if I put this in the wrong thread.

I threw in some paragraph breaks to make this a little more readable. Hopefully they ended up where I meant them to
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

brick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:28 pm
it has been made quite clear to me that most Jewish people are very offended by being called "a Jew", in most contexts. You can say "Bill is Jewish" but not "Bill is a Jew."
pics hosting

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

pamelajaye wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:59 pm I noticed earlier this week, since I'm from Boston, that Johnny Gilbert was mispronouncing Winthrop, although Anderson wasn't. I'm sure Johnny has a bigger job than I think he does, but does anybody tell him how to pronounce these obscure Town names?
brick

Post by brick »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:00 pm
brick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:28 pm
it has been made quite clear to me that most Jewish people are very offended by being called "a Jew", in most contexts. You can say "Bill is Jewish" but not "Bill is a Jew."
pics hosting

And what's your point? That many people do offensive things? Thank you. Yes they do. That 21 years ago even more people said and did offensive things openly and publicly than they do now? I'm not sure. But gosh, thanks for your contribution. You've really elevated the level of discourse.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:57 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:51 pm
Well that’s great for you, I guess? :roll: :roll: :roll:
I don't think it's one thing or the other for me. It's just my understanding. It would appear to be the understanding of TPTB at Jeopardy at this point as well since they're willing to accept "gypsy" as a correct response. If someone wants to convince me (and them) that that this should change, I'm open to that. I'm open to not using the OK symbol anymore as well and not wearing my aloha shirts. But it's going to take more than a few declarative statements to make me change.

You're already convinced. That's great for you, I guess? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Aloha shirts? Wait, what? That's a bad thing now?
--
Drowning in the pool