Wednesday, April 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

Newhausen wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:38 am
floridagator wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:59 pm I was cheering for Leah so I am glad she won but I don't like the way she won. Hari made what seems to be a wag. I got final instantly.
Gibson directed The Passion of the Christ, so probably one of the better wrong answers, honestly.
I know, but that's one religious film. DeMille specialized in religious films. The Ten Commandments, Samson and Delilah, the king of kings, the sign of the cross. DeMille is Pavlov for biblical movie.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Mel Gibson certainly wasn't a bad guess, but would they really refer to him as a "director?"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:58 pmHaving to look up names like DeMille, David Lean, and my incorrect guess of Victor Fleming is not the same as experiencing their works growing up.
How old do you think we are? :shock: DeMille, Fleming, and Lean (except for A Passage to India) are before my time. I learned about them by listening to older people talk, reading the paper, watching TV, renting movies. Pretty much the same opportunities afforded to millennials except I didn't have the Internet and if I wanted to rent a movie, I had to put on pants and drive somewhere.

I think alietr's right. Hari's just too young to have done the reading/listening/watching that would have made this clue a slam dunk. If he'd waited 10 years to take his shot, he'd probably have gotten it right. At the same time, I totally get that you take your shot when it's offered to you, not when it's convenient; and you go to war with what you have, not what you wish you had. Kudos to Hari for doing a splendid job and that's some rough luck that FJ broke the way it did. I think we can all agree on that.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:50 pm Mel Gibson certainly wasn't a bad guess, but would they really refer to him as a "director?"
Maybe. I mean, it's not wrong. "Actor-director" might be more likely though. I might throw another descriptor or two in there, but Jeopardy! probably wouldn't.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:50 pm Mel Gibson certainly wasn't a bad guess, but would they really refer to him as a "director?"
Or "Hollywood Legend?" For some reason that category name had me thinking of the Golden Age. Not someone still alive and working.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:33 pm I feel like it's worth mentioning in passing, I am a gentile living among a significant Jewish population. Many of my Jewish friends were astonished to learn that other people thought of The Ten Commandments as an Easter movie. It seemed perfectly obvious to them that the story of Passover was shown in spring every year on TV, because that is when Passover is celebrated. Perspective, right?
That's pretty funny. It would be interesting to look at the TV scheduling of The Ten Commandments for years in which the dates for (Western) Easter and Passover did not coincide. They usually do but sometimes don't due to different methods for calculating the date. Where the dates differed by more than a week, which period got the broadcast?
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:58 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:31 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:31 am another FJ for older generations.
I mean, they still play The Ten Commandments on TV every year around Easter. Plenty of opportunity to be exposed to it. Perhaps you're also intimating that only the older generations still watch TV? But then, Jeopardy! is also... on TV...
I have seen the film a few times around the time of year you mentioned. In fact, I still can't take Edward G. Robinson seriously as anything other than an early 20th C. gangster. I expect all if his lines in the film to end in "nyah" or "see?"

Check out Double Indemnity. Or All My Sons. Or his last film role in Soylent Green. No gangsters. He was a superb actor.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:54 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:58 pmHaving to look up names like DeMille, David Lean, and my incorrect guess of Victor Fleming is not the same as experiencing their works growing up.
How old do you think we are? :shock: DeMille, Fleming, and Lean (except for A Passage to India) are before my time. I learned about them by listening to older people talk, reading the paper, watching TV, renting movies. Pretty much the same opportunities afforded to millennials except I didn't have the Internet and if I wanted to rent a movie, I had to put on pants and drive somewhere.

I think alietr's right. Hari's just too young to have done the reading/listening/watching that would have made this clue a slam dunk. If he'd waited 10 years to take his shot, he'd probably have gotten it right. At the same time, I totally get that you take your shot when it's offered to you, not when it's convenient; and you go to war with what you have, not what you wish you had. Kudos to Hari for doing a splendid job and that's some rough luck that FJ broke the way it did. I think we can all agree on that.
Pants are TYRANY! Down with pants!
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:07 pm
brick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:33 pm I feel like it's worth mentioning in passing, I am a gentile living among a significant Jewish population. Many of my Jewish friends were astonished to learn that other people thought of The Ten Commandments as an Easter movie. It seemed perfectly obvious to them that the story of Passover was shown in spring every year on TV, because that is when Passover is celebrated. Perspective, right?
That's pretty funny. It would be interesting to look at the TV scheduling of The Ten Commandments for years in which the dates for (Western) Easter and Passover did not coincide. They usually do but sometimes don't due to different methods for calculating the date. Where the dates differed by more than a week, which period got the broadcast?
It 's traditionally Palm Sunday (sometimes) or Easter weekend (usually).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 98c71e17e/
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:06 pm
Neat. Thanks for clearing that up. So the connection to the Western Christian calendar was the explicit one.
brick

Post by brick »

That article is nothing short of amazing! Thank you so much! You will note: Always on a Sunday.. not on a Saturday.
davey

Post by davey »

brick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:14 pm
That article is nothing short of amazing! Thank you so much! You will note: Always on a Sunday.. not on a Saturday.
It has been shown on Saturdays - that's why the article says "Palm Sunday or Easter weekend." Certainly in the years when it was run in 2 parts.
It was on the night before Palm Sunday, April 4, last year.

This is from an article about TV ratings during the pandemic-
'The Ten Commandments' (ABC, April 4): 0.6...'The Ten Commandments' and each of the three Universal movies that aired on sister network NBC were scheduled for Saturday nights, which is the lowest-rated evening of the week.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MattKnowles wrote:Wasn't sure about FJ and I didn't know if Huston, Ford, or DeMille was the director of The Ten Commandments but managed to pick the right one. Before my time.
You were right in the ballpark with your picklist. John Huston was probably the closest incorrect guess, as he had a film titled The Bible which used to get annual TV broadcasts.
I thought of that movie but instinctively knew they must be referring to The Ten Commandments, because "Bible" was in the clue. All genuine classic movie buffs know who Cecil B. DeMille is, and should be familliar with his credits.

I'm OK with Leah's wager but if she chose not to go all in, she should have strongly considered 6202. We've seen suicide wagers from Dana's position more than once.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:14 pm
Because who wants to switch their TV on before sundown Friday and have it blaring for 24 hours?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:09 pm
MattKnowles wrote:Wasn't sure about FJ and I didn't know if Huston, Ford, or DeMille was the director of The Ten Commandments but managed to pick the right one. Before my time.
You were right in the ballpark with your picklist. John Huston was probably the closest incorrect guess, as he had a film titled The Bible which used to get annual TV broadcasts.
I thought of that movie but instinctively knew they must be referring to The Ten Commandments, because "Bible" was in the clue. All genuine classic movie buffs know who Cecil B. DeMille is, and should be familliar with his credits.

I'm OK with Leah's wager but if she chose not to go all in, she should have strongly considered 6202. We've seen suicide wagers from Dana's position more than once.
Why not $6201? Either way, I agree she should have considered something in that range, and maybe she did. But if she goes that way, she loses the ability to force Dana to get FJ right. I'm not sure I disagree with her decision.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

nserven wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:03 pm
Or "Hollywood Legend?" For some reason that category name had me thinking of the Golden Age. Not someone still alive and working.
Same here. I mentally prepared myself for someone who is dead, which increases my chances of getting a film FJ right. Which I did.

In Dana’s spot I would have bet $9,999. If I felt less comfortable about the category I might have stayed pat or maybe $3,801. But movie stars who died before I was born is a decent one for me.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:34 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:30 pm Why was Hari competing in regular J! Rather than the College Tournament? I get that you aren’t limited as you are in the tournament, but the inadvisability of a college sophomore going against two older contestants was on display tonight. Easy FJ even for this non-movie buff. But, oy!, that wager...
Hari is a former National History Bee as well as Bowl champion. You're right; his appearance was a good example of getting on too soon. He should have waited a few years.
I guess you could say Hari wasn't ready for his close-up

It pays to be a New Yorker tonight: Bridgegate! Canal Street!

They hardly knew ye, Judith Light and Patricia Arquette! Yikes.

I got silver lining after a sec, but at first, I took "upside of a cloud" to mean the literal top of the cloud. duh.

I also wondered about the source of the laughter on the Mel Gibson reveal. I bet the new exec producer made them add the laugh track.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Category 13 wrote: I'm OK with Leah's wager but if she chose not to go all in, she should have strongly considered 6202. We've seen suicide wagers from Dana's position more than once.
Why not $6201? Either way, I agree she should have considered something in that range, and maybe she did. But if she goes that way, she loses the ability to force Dana to get FJ right. I'm not sure I disagree with her decision.
I always trim (or add) a buck or two off of the conventional wisdom tabulations, just to throw in some additional insurance against the third player going down the same path.
morbeedo wrote:I took "upside of a cloud" to mean the literal top of the cloud. duh.
That's exactly what I did, and it threw me off enough to draw a big blank. The reveal was a head slapper.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:23 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Category 13 wrote: I'm OK with Leah's wager but if she chose not to go all in, she should have strongly considered 6202. We've seen suicide wagers from Dana's position more than once.
I always trim (or add) a buck or two off of the conventional wisdom tabulations, just to throw in some additional insurance against the third player going down the same path.
morbeedo wrote:I took "upside of a cloud" to mean the literal top of the cloud. duh.
That's exactly what I did, and it threw me off enough to draw a big blank. The reveal was a head slapper.
I also took upside directionally. Poorly phrased clue. "Behind every cloud there is a silver lining" is the familiar phrase. The song lyric "There's a silver lining BEE-hind every cloud" from "Will the Circle be Unbroken" is just great Americana poetry. The writers ought to be hit upside the head.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:38 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:19 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:46 am
Newhausen wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:38 am
floridagator wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:59 pm I was cheering for Leah so I am glad she won but I don't like the way she won. Hari made what seems to be a wag. I got final instantly.
Gibson directed The Passion of the Christ, so probably one of the better wrong answers, honestly.
I thought so too. I felt bad for Hari that there was laughter from the audience, like he'd guessed Michael Bay or George Romero or Roger Corman or John Waters.
You mean laughter from the "audience."

I'm assuming there is still no live audience, correct?
I wondered about that but I figured they couldn't possibly be cruel enough to edit in canned laughter at a contestant response. It had to be real, right?
Word on the street is... the audience is the other contestants in that taping day, and the in house crew. Crew members are responding more audibly than they might have under previous circumstances. And then, yes, they are "sweetening" the responses to create a more normal overall feel to the show for us at home.