Wednesday, April 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick »

The more I notice it, the more I realize I don’t understand the final J betting.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:04 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:53 pm ...
Wow, they got 3 contestants who know something about football this time! ;)
Wow, they got a contestant who knows something about football this time! ;)
4/5 for Leah with no incorrect responses while Dana had one wrong and Hari was silent.

The writers tried to tee up another "football" moment and Leah thwarted their plans. 5/5 for me although I needed some of Anderson's reading time to land on the correct responses, so a touch harder than some previous sports categories.
Leah beat me at the NFL clues - I bungled on the false start clue by knee jerking with "offside" instead of processing the track reference, and I would have responded "block in the back" on the clipping TS. I don't think I've heard an NFL ref use the term "clipping" in a long time, but it seems like every good punt or kickoff return is brought back by a "block in the back" penalty. They are almost all questionable and don't help the returner but it is not the ref's job to coach the special teams.

I was braced to be all lathered up about the stupid tiebreaker buzzer race when I saw the easy peasy FJ. I knew this one in the fifth grade, and probably couldn't name another director until I was 28 and Star Wars came out.

Opus will be pleased that Anderson told the player he could bet up to $1000. And I noted that Anderson pointed out the quotation marks without mansplaining them.

Congrats, Mark on your first step to immortality and nano-chip implant! Me and tfg have been immortal for about a month now and it is taking longer to deprogram than we expected. We planned to bug out on a road trip or something to celebrate but the Stockholm syndrome is keeping us in our bunker. I hope the shot symptoms are kind to you and I suspect it is an early bedtime tonight.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:44 pm

I knew this one in the fifth grade, and probably couldn't name another director until I was 28 and Star Wars came out.
You just pretty seriously dated yourself there, fella. Of course, when I was in the fifth grade, we had just gotten talkies.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:00 am

I knew this one in the fifth grade, and probably couldn't name another director until I was 28 and Star Wars came out.
You just pretty seriously dated yourself there, fella. Of course, when I was in the fifth grade, we had just gotten talkies.
Since you mention it, I screwed up the math :lol: . This time traveler from 1953 traveled 22 years into the future when the Star Wars credits scrolled. It was kind of profound and was the first (and only) movie I actually enjoyed so much I looked at my watch halfway through to see how much more time I'd get to watch it.
Beats me how I learned of Cecille B. DeMille but he was good at PR and the Ten Commandments was an Easter staple on TV. We had moving pictures and sound, but the indoor theaters got movies about a year late and the drive-in's about 3 years late around our neck of the woods.

I'm still not exactly a cinephile, and May the Forth will come and go without any ceremony from me. Most my film knowledge just comes from ignoring the clickbait headlines in the Google news feed. You see enough of the headlines, you don't need to click the link to get the drift.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Bleh, another FJ for older generations. I guessed with Victor Fleming.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:04 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:53 pm ...
Wow, they got 3 contestants who know something about football this time! ;)
Wow, they got a contestant who knows something about football this time! ;)
4/5 for Leah with no incorrect responses while Dana had one wrong and Hari was silent.

The writers tried to tee up another "football" moment and Leah thwarted their plans. 5/5 for me although I needed some of Anderson's reading time to land on the correct responses, so a touch harder than some previous sports categories.

Congrats, Mark on your first step to immortality and nano-chip implant! Me and tfg have been immortal for about a month now and it is taking longer to deprogram than we expected. We planned to bug out on a road trip or something to celebrate but the Stockholm syndrome is keeping us in our bunker. I hope the shot symptoms are kind to you and I suspect it is an early bedtime tonight.
Thanks, the symptoms are 0.5/10 on the pain scale where I got the vaccine and only if I move my arm a specific way or press on it. No early bedtime for me as Homey don't play that. Same with sleeping in on any day as that's not for me either.

Zero time on the phone for an appointment and little time on the computer in only trying once or twice a day at most since the 1st. Today, my time in the building was 18 minutes from entrance to exit with everything very efficient. Moderna 2 on the 26th at 1:25 with plenty of time to complete J! activities first.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 4/4 on big clues. Wasn't sure about FJ and I didn't know if Huston, Ford, or DeMille was the director of The Ten Commandments but managed to pick the right one. Before my time. I know DeMille from Sunset Boulevard more than his films.

I'll break with the crowd and say that Leah's wager was perfectly fine.

It looked like Hari had her beat on the buzzer in DJ!. If she and Hari both got it right she would likely lose. She bet hoping that Hari would miss. Leah bet about as much as she could so that if she missed she would still cover a $0 wager by Dana. Dana is likely to wager either $0 or $3801. In that case Leah gets the win if they're both right or both wrong. Leah's wager gave her several paths to victory and one of them landed.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are flag of the Philippines, clipping, The Lost World, Terrence Howard, and Patricia Arquette.

Already past my bedtime.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Leah’s wager isn’t really all that bad. She is guarding against a $0 bet by Dana, though risking a chance to win if Hari gets it right. She may also be thinking of the possibility of Hari betting enough to end up with $10,001 if he were to get it wrong. Her bet beats him in this scenario if they both miss. It is definitely a gutsy strategy.

Dana can bet just about anything (though should never bet it all) in this spot, but if I was comfortable with the category, I am going with $9,999. If both opponents go all-in and miss, I set myself up for a potential $1 win. If my opponents do not go with the all-in strategy, I may just win with $19,999.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

All I could think of was Selznick. My wife had DeMille and as soon as I heard it I knew that was correct.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:31 am another FJ for older generations.
I mean, they still play The Ten Commandments on TV every year around Easter. Plenty of opportunity to be exposed to it. Perhaps you're also intimating that only the older generations still watch TV? But then, Jeopardy! is also... on TV...
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

floridagator wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:59 pm I was cheering for Leah so I am glad she won but I don't like the way she won. Hari made what seems to be a wag. I got final instantly.
Gibson directed The Passion of the Christ, so probably one of the better wrong answers, honestly.
brick

Post by brick »

Newhausen wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:38 am
floridagator wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:59 pm I was cheering for Leah so I am glad she won but I don't like the way she won. Hari made what seems to be a wag. I got final instantly.
Gibson directed The Passion of the Christ, so probably one of the better wrong answers, honestly.
Yeah. It wasn't a terrible guess.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I thought so too. I felt bad for Hari that there was laughter from the audience, like he'd guessed Michael Bay or George Romero or Roger Corman or John Waters.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:46 am
I thought so too. I felt bad for Hari that there was laughter from the audience, like he'd guessed Michael Bay or George Romero or Roger Corman or John Waters.
You mean laughter from the "audience."

I'm assuming there is still no live audience, correct?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:19 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:46 am
You mean laughter from the "audience."

I'm assuming there is still no live audience, correct?
I wondered about that but I figured they couldn't possibly be cruel enough to edit in canned laughter at a contestant response. It had to be real, right?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:44 pm Leah beat me at the NFL clues - I bungled on the false start clue by knee jerking with "offside" instead of processing the track reference, and I would have responded "block in the back" on the clipping TS. I don't think I've heard an NFL ref use the term "clipping" in a long time, but it seems like every good punt or kickoff return is brought back by a "block in the back" penalty. They are almost all questionable and don't help the returner but it is not the ref's job to coach the special teams.
Never thought I'd see the distinction as important on Jeopardy, but the key in the clue was "below the waist." That's what makes it a clip instead of "block in the back."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:31 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:31 am another FJ for older generations.
I mean, they still play The Ten Commandments on TV every year around Easter. Plenty of opportunity to be exposed to it. Perhaps you're also intimating that only the older generations still watch TV? But then, Jeopardy! is also... on TV...
I have seen the film a few times around the time of year you mentioned. In fact, I still can't take Edward G. Robinson seriously as anything other than an early 20th C. gangster. I expect all if his lines in the film to end in "nyah" or "see?"

My intimation is that as a tender-footed millennial, I am clearly at a disadvantage with pop culture clues that are from 40+ years ago. Having to look up names like DeMille, David Lean, and my incorrect guess of Victor Fleming is not the same as experiencing their works growing up. It's pretty closely similar to today's FLAG ON THE PLAY category. If you're not a football fan, it is possible to read the handbook of football infractions, but it's just not the same as seeing your home team's terrible offensive line commit their 5th false start of the game and pulling your hair out.

But to be clear, I'm not saying that this is a bad thing. I have no qualms with the clue or any clue of that nature, I just imagine it's a pretty tough pill to swallow for a player like Hari who played brilliantly to get into the position he was in, make the proper wager in FJ, and get snake bit on a clue that's just before his time.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:58 pm But to be clear, I'm not saying that this is a bad thing. I have no qualms with the clue or any clue of that nature, I just imagine it's a pretty tough pill to swallow for a player like Hari who played brilliantly to get into the position he was in, make the proper wager in FJ, and get snake bit on a clue that's just before his time.
And that was my point ... over the next few years, he likely would have picked up something like this. Missing something because it was before his time was his own fault for getting on the show when he is that young.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:58 pm as a tender-footed millennial, I am clearly at a disadvantage with pop culture clues that are from 40+ years ago. Having to look up names like DeMille, David Lean, and my incorrect guess of Victor Fleming is not the same as experiencing their works growing up.
I consider myself a millennial (at the older edge) and was exposed to these works growing up because Ten Commandments, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, The Wizard of Oz, and Gone with the Wind were all repeatedly played on TV and/or presented in theatrical re-release when I was growing up. (DeMille is also the object of the most quotable line from Sunset Boulevard, which I half expected Anderson Cooper to reference after the tympani beats of "Think!" in this game). Perhaps there are enough years between you and I to have made your experience slightly different from mine, but these films and their directors are distinctly near the top of the classic movie canon, so if you're a film buff at even a moderate level, this isn't in the category of generational knowledge any more than, say, knowing who was president during the Great Depression or knowing who commanded the defeat of Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo.
brick

Post by brick »

I feel like it's worth mentioning in passing, I am a gentile living among a significant Jewish population. Many of my Jewish friends were astonished to learn that other people thought of The Ten Commandments as an Easter movie. It seemed perfectly obvious to them that the story of Passover was shown in spring every year on TV, because that is when Passover is celebrated. Perspective, right?