Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10823
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of a resident of my state being referred to as an Alabaman. Only Alabamian.

I got this pretty quickly but took a few seconds to make sure I spelled it correctly.

I went 4/5 on the dice rolls, never heard of Hicks.

Was Leah absent the day they covered what to do if you are tied going into FJ in wagering school?

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4453
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:00 pm
floridagator wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:28 am
Anderson Cooper said project manager
That's correct. Both yesterday and today Johnny introduced her as a product manager and Cooper identified her as a project manager. CC got it right all four times.
When you say CC "got it right" you mean they followed the speaker, right? They didn't correct Anderson?

BrigadierSolo13
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:40 am

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

davey wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:48 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:13 pm
3. This FJ clue appears to be a rare case in which correct spelling is a must, since the wording had such specific parameters (let's just forget Mr. Gordy on this one). Out of curiosity, let me ask the judges on this one:

What is "cue"?
What is "cueue"?
What is "que"?

All 3 of those responses have an argument as to fitting the normal "as long the response is phonetically correct, it's acceptable", but also fail the parameters given in the clue. I'd love to know the judgement here, as well as what you think the show's judges would do.
I posted a similar question. I'd say, since the clue specifies 5 letters, only the 2d response could be accepted.
See, I don't think any of them are acceptable. The 2nd half of the clue states "the word sounds the same if you remove its last 4 letters", so "cueue" would just be the letter "c", which makes it incorrect.

I believe the only correct misspelling would be something like "quiue" or anything that begins with "q" and is followed by any combination of 4 vowels that makes some sort of phonetical sense.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8463
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:58 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:00 pm
floridagator wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:28 am
Anderson Cooper said project manager
That's correct. Both yesterday and today Johnny introduced her as a product manager and Cooper identified her as a project manager. CC got it right all four times.
When you say CC "got it right" you mean they followed the speaker, right? They didn't correct Anderson?
Whoops, yes. I can see how that might not be clear. CC matched what I heard and did not attempt to correct anyone.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8463
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:13 pm
1. We had both Ned Flanders and Moll Flanders in DJ. Sadly, no mention of the Dutch-speaking region of Belgium, or the Wordsworth poem.
Wordsworth poem?

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4453
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:58 pm
davey wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:48 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:13 pm
3. This FJ clue appears to be a rare case in which correct spelling is a must, since the wording had such specific parameters (let's just forget Mr. Gordy on this one). Out of curiosity, let me ask the judges on this one:

What is "cue"?
What is "cueue"?
What is "que"?

All 3 of those responses have an argument as to fitting the normal "as long the response is phonetically correct, it's acceptable", but also fail the parameters given in the clue. I'd love to know the judgement here, as well as what you think the show's judges would do.
I posted a similar question. I'd say, since the clue specifies 5 letters, only the 2d response could be accepted.
See, I don't think any of them are acceptable. The 2nd half of the clue states "the word sounds the same if you remove its last 4 letters", so "cueue" would just be the letter "c", which makes it incorrect.

I believe the only correct misspelling would be something like "quiue" or anything that begins with "q" and is followed by any combination of 4 vowels that makes some sort of phonetical sense.
Yes, excellent poinr. i'm still not grasping the clue next day!... :oops:

BrigadierSolo13
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:40 am

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:04 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:13 pm
1. We had both Ned Flanders and Moll Flanders in DJ. Sadly, no mention of the Dutch-speaking region of Belgium, or the Wordsworth poem.
Wordsworth poem?
Whoops, I meant McCrae, not Wordsworth. I confused "Daffodils" with "In Flanders Field"

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2663
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:13 pm
Spoiler
Has it ever happened before that a player has been tied with another player going into FJ multiple times in their run? Leah was tied for the lead on Wednesday and tied for 2nd today. That has to be ultra-rare.
I think you're right, even Jeff Kirby didn't have two ties.

(It's the pun that keeps on giving, folks)

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 900
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:54 pm


I went 4/5 on the dice rolls, never heard of Hicks.
If I were more suspicious I would think they made up Jimmy Hicks. I've paid for entire trips by throwing bones and I've never heard it.

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 900
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick »

CyrusChan wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:41 pm
Category 13 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:01 pm
Not sure about this but I presume the GEOGRAPHIC TOP 10s for $600 clue was refering to places with high humidity?
Me and my sister responded Florida, along with Colin. I was thinking of soggy ground but if I thought in terms of rainfall, I would have answered Washington.
Either way, that was a crappy presentation of a clue.
I believe it was about the wettest state or three of the top places in the U.S. in terms of rainfall are 'in this state'.
This would mean a tropic (IIRC) climate. All Hawaii is in that while Florida would just have the southern parts.
"3 of the world's 10 wettest spots are in this U.S. state"

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5563
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CyrusChan wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:41 pm
Category 13 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:01 pm
Not sure about this but I presume the GEOGRAPHIC TOP 10s for $600 clue was refering to places with high humidity?
Me and my sister responded Florida, along with Colin. I was thinking of soggy ground but if I thought in terms of rainfall, I would have answered Washington.
Either way, that was a crappy presentation of a clue.
I believe it was about the wettest state or three of the top places in the U.S. in terms of rainfall are 'in this state'.
This would mean a tropic (IIRC) climate. All Hawaii is in that while Florida would just have the southern parts.
"Wettest" places means highest annual rainfall for sure.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4453
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:11 pm
CyrusChan wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:41 pm
Category 13 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:01 pm
Not sure about this but I presume the GEOGRAPHIC TOP 10s for $600 clue was refering to places with high humidity?
Me and my sister responded Florida, along with Colin. I was thinking of soggy ground but if I thought in terms of rainfall, I would have answered Washington.
Either way, that was a crappy presentation of a clue.
I believe it was about the wettest state or three of the top places in the U.S. in terms of rainfall are 'in this state'.
This would mean a tropic (IIRC) climate. All Hawaii is in that while Florida would just have the southern parts.
"Wettest" places means highest annual rainfall for sure.
Would measuring sogginess of the ground be a thing? Maybe, bacause humans like to quantify things, but it seems rather obscure...

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7526
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:25 pm
Johnny mispronounced Leah's job title both yesterday and today. She's a project manager, and he called her a product manager.
First reply after this is nearly 10 hours later. Is this the post that broke J!Board last night?

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7645
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:14 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:13 pm
Spoiler
Has it ever happened before that a player has been tied with another player going into FJ multiple times in their run? Leah was tied for the lead on Wednesday and tied for 2nd today. That has to be ultra-rare.
I think you're right, even Jeff Kirby didn't have two ties.

(It's the pun that keeps on giving, folks)
Well done, sir.

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1747
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:
Category 13 wrote: Not sure about this but I presume the GEOGRAPHIC TOP 10s for $600 clue was refering to places with high humidity?
Me and my sister responded Florida, along with Colin. I was thinking of soggy ground but if I thought in terms of rainfall, I would have answered Washington.
Either way, that was a crappy presentation of a clue.
I believe it was about the wettest state or three of the top places in the U.S. in terms of rainfall are 'in this state'.
This would mean a tropic (IIRC) climate. All Hawaii is in that while Florida would just have the southern parts.
"Wettest" places means highest annual rainfall for sure.
In hindsight, annual rainfall makes most sense, but the clue said "spots" not places. That opens up all kinds of possibilities, depending on how one interprets the word 'spot'. Could be 100 sq feet, an acre, one square mile.... I suppose Hawaii gets more rain per square mile than Washington just because of the huge difference in land area.
Bottom line is, it's a very poorly written clue that should have been left on the cutting room floor. Colin lost a $1200 swing to Emily on that. Not quite enough to cost him the lead at the end of DJ but if it were, he'd have a case for an invite back.

I agree with the other poster about soggy ground not being viable, but again, the word 'spot' opens that up to the imagination.

User avatar
DBear
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1718
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

brick wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:16 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:54 pm


I went 4/5 on the dice rolls, never heard of Hicks.
If I were more suspicious I would think they made up Jimmy Hicks. I've paid for entire trips by throwing bones and I've never heard it.
I wagged it because Jimmy Hicks rhymes with 6, but I've never heard of it either. :|

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2020
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:04 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:48 pm
SBurrus wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:06 pm
SBurrus wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:02 pm
Was this the record largest combined total for three contestants heading into FJ? 53,000 is nothing to sneeze at. Emily went from $9600 to $36,600 with just two responses!
This one I knew for sure without even having to get into the Holzhauer games: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=920
OMG! I had forgotten about that. My memory just isn't what it used to be.
So you keep telling us. :D

I wonder what the highest pre-FJ total is for a competitive game. Say, third place has at least two-thirds of first. Everyone's got a realistic shot with no one needing another player to over-wager or to go down the wrong path in Stratton's Dilemma.
Can I interest you in a lovely $59,200?

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=367

Although that one's only competitive because the bozo in 2nd place overwagered badly.
Does anyone know offhand it Emily's 9K DD is the largest DD bet of the season? Or at least the guest hosts? I can't remember ANY other bets this large since James H ended his run. Thankfully, I've forgotten all his birthday/tribute numbers :lol:

This was a fun game - I hate to see Leah lose to a late Hail Mary, but she at least got one payday.
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:45 pm
Another extended credits roll and not surprising considering how good today's game went.
Continuing my needy post:
Is there any indication that the episodes have longer actual content since the guest hosts have started? It's probably a re-allocation of commercial breaks on my local broadcast, but it seems like the mid-show commercial breaks are shorter. I thought I was hitting 7 jumps before the interview segment and DJ and FJ, but it is more like 5 jumps now (at 30 seconds per jump). All the guest hosts have basically cleared the boards 80% of the time and Mark has commented on extended credits a few times - which I assume means filler.

I'm sure the programs are not longer with less local commercial time. I've just lost my clicker mojo and can no longer stop just as the FJ clue is revealed.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM
Posts: 834
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

46R. 2/4 on big clues. Missed with The Da Vinci Code. Took me too long to parse the clue and needed more time to get Calvin Coolidge. Final Jeopardy may have been written to help ensure more money went to charity.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Diane Lane, full-bore, Spasiba/Thank You in Russian, Stay, and Curio.

Missed Honshu with Kyushu. Oops. The "world's 10 wettest spots" threw me off. Most of the planet is covered in water. I think "spots with most rainfall" would have helped me. I missed with Florida. Wording noted for next time.

Emily's last DD wager was awesome. Way to get that win.

Tried to post this last night but JBoard was down. Probably because of floridagator's comment. Looks like you guys already discussed that wettest spots clue and I missed it.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7526
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:15 pm
Does anyone know offhand it Emily's 9K DD is the largest DD bet of the season? Or at least the guest hosts? I can't remember ANY other bets this large since James H ended his run. Thankfully, I've forgotten all his birthday/tribute numbers :lol:
At the bottom of the season pages on J! Archive, there are links to various sets of stats for the season, and Daily Doubles get their own set. https://www.j-archive.com/ddstats.php?season=37 This season there have been three $10,000 wagers (all unsuccessful), a $9,600 wager, and three $9,000 wagers.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5563
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Category 13 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:14 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:
Category 13 wrote: Not sure about this but I presume the GEOGRAPHIC TOP 10s for $600 clue was refering to places with high humidity?
Me and my sister responded Florida, along with Colin. I was thinking of soggy ground but if I thought in terms of rainfall, I would have answered Washington.
Either way, that was a crappy presentation of a clue.
I believe it was about the wettest state or three of the top places in the U.S. in terms of rainfall are 'in this state'.
This would mean a tropic (IIRC) climate. All Hawaii is in that while Florida would just have the southern parts.
"Wettest" places means highest annual rainfall for sure.
In hindsight, annual rainfall makes most sense, but the clue said "spots" not places. That opens up all kinds of possibilities, depending on how one interprets the word 'spot'. Could be 100 sq feet, an acre, one square mile.... I suppose Hawaii gets more rain per square mile than Washington just because of the huge difference in land area.
I think it's probably correct as written because weather measurements are made at specific locations, i.e. "spots." They may not be cities, but anywhere a weather monitoring station is installed. It could be the summit of a mountain, for example. Even for cities there is usually one designated weather station that is used for the official records. For example, Seattle uses the data from the weather station at Sea-Tac airport even though it's not even technically within the city of Seattle.

Post Reply