Friday, April 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, April 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I may be a word guy, but I always struggle with Alphabetically First categories:

$200: just begging for someone to go for the Aries negbait like Sheila and I both did
$400: There are about nine trillion countries in Africa, way too many to sort through that quickly
$600: Fielding positions - I struck out after failing to pull any A's and B's. Had I gotten to C, I might have fallen for the centerfielder/catcher trap too.
$800: By far the easiest since there're only three to pick from. This one should have been $200 IMO
$1,000: Again, way too large a data set to sift through, but that's why it's the bottom clue

But hey, I broke my own curse finally. Greatly enjoyed Anderson Cooper.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Time Travel Movies, Alphabetically First, Sacred Books, Gladiators,
DDs: :D :D :( (Pharos)
trash: Vernon Jordan, gazelle, Belarus, polecat, Jesus DD (4000)
FJ: Who is L. Frank Baum
Fleeboy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:05 pm "Ix" gave Final J away for me ...
ditto. :mrgreen:
When was this episode taped? Remembered Vernon Jordan had just died recently. :idea:
Who just responded with the "thumbs down" gesture on the Gladiators clue? :P
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

36R. 2/4 on big clues. Missed Jesus and Baum.

Tough game for me. Lots of missed clues that I could have gotten.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Between the World and Me, Vernon Jordan, Commodus, polecat, and the Book of Mormon.

I missed the Bill & Ted clue. I'm pretty sure I drove by that movie being filmed. Oops.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I watched the American Experience documentary on Baum that was just on - 2 hours, and none of those names were ever mentioned... :evil: The doc talked about how he wrote sequels based on what readers asked for - which explains why there are 13 of them, I guess...I never touched a one of them. The names should have resonated: Bud - American - Ix - kind of like Oz - but not a hum felt by me. I said C.S. Lewis - never got around to reading him either. Still might! Not Frank's sequels though...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Inspired by discovering a minor typo in Thursday's game, I remembered when J! misspelled cartoonist Lincoln Peirce's last name (to make it doubly presidential), looked up the game (it was during a Kids Week), and found it had another Baum-related FJ (he's in the clue, so I'm not spoiling anything by saying so).

Incidentally, they spelled Peirce right the next (and other) time they mentioned him: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6378
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Congrats to TPH for the perfecto! When I saw the FJ, I was worried about your chances. Good on ya for getting this one.

I considered Baum for FJ. But I'd read several Oz books back in the day and none of those names rang a bell. In retrospect of course I can see that the names look Baum-y, but that didn't strike me at the time. I kept looking. My next thought was George R. R. Martin, Mrs P's guess. But the names didn't seem like GoT and I don't think he's written anything outside that series. Nothing we're supposed to know, anyway. Next thought was Robert Louis Stevenson, who I mentally wrote down in case time ran out. But then I thought of Kipling and liked him better. Final answer. Oh well.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got that FJ, but can't say I was super confident.

Emily is a good player.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:29 pm I got it right but I was waffling between him and C.S. Lewis. Knowing the year definitely would have made me feel more confident as I know the exact day Lewis died.
Had the same dilemma, but went the wrong direction knowing next to nothing about Narnia. I like your coin better -- want to trade?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:57 pm I'm curious Mark. Do you think adding the year 1905 would have helped you at all? 1900 being Oz is one of the big book-year Pavlovs.
It would have gotten me away from C.S. Lewis.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:17 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:57 pm I'm curious Mark. Do you think adding the year 1905 would have helped you at all? 1900 being Oz is one of the big book-year Pavlovs.

It would have gotten me away from C.S. Lewis.
The year might have helped me, but I can't be sure because none of the "alphabet-y" verbage takes me to Oz. I went with Jonathan Swift, from a couple of centuries before. It seemed like a setup for political satire.

Congrats to TPH. I was derailed a couple of times this week by clue construction, but today's miss just was all on me.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

FJ had me going down a dead end. I saw the name Ix and immediately thought of Frank Herberts Dune series in which Ix is a planet. It wasn’t until halfway through Think music that I saw that it was a country, at which point I realized that I had no clue and went with Lewis and Narnia. Sad to say, but Baum never occurred to me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:09 am The year might have helped me, but I can't be sure because none of the "alphabet-y" verbage takes me to Oz. I went with Jonathan Swift, from a couple of centuries before. It seemed like a setup for political satire.
That's a decent guess, I think. I might have considered Swift if he'd occurred to me. But I know Swift better than Kipling, so I'd probably have felt a little more confident in crossing him off the list. For a lot of us who missed this, I think it came down to, Which plausible constructor of fantasy lands do I know the least about and therefore am unable to rule out? Unfortunately, that line of thinking was never going to get me to Baum since I've read several Oz books. I think the more successful line would have been, What fantasy places and people do the names in the clue most remind me of? For a lot of boardies who got it right, that seems to have been the way in.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:49 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:35 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:03 pm Not shown.😫 abc decided to talk about the NFL draft.
YT+show+completion of "Red Dead" = ep
Nope, nothing under "revolver" ...... :)
Huh? I do not understand your responses. o.O

Please PM if you can. Thanks.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CyrusChan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:45 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:49 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:35 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:03 pm Not shown.😫 abc decided to talk about the NFL draft.
YT+show+completion of "Red Dead" = ep
Nope, nothing under "revolver" ...... :)
Huh? I do not understand your responses. o.O

Please PM if you can. Thanks.
He meant "Redemption", I was goofing around with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dead_Revolver
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed African American Memoirs $600 & $800, and Rock, Paper, Scissors $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni