How Did Anderson Cooper Do as Host

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Anderson Cooper on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best

No votes
No votes
1%
3%
4%
4%
22%
36%
23%
7%

Total votes: 73

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: How Did Anderson Cooper Do as Host

Post by morbeedo »

Anderson’s Reign of Terror is finally over!

I died inside when the player responded of the Spanish artist, “Who is Dah-LEE?” And Anderson said, “Correct. Salvador DAH-lee.”
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:26 pm Anderson’s Reign of Terror is finally over!

I died inside when the player responded of the Spanish artist, “Who is Dah-LEE?” And Anderson said, “Correct. Salvador DAH-lee.”
;)
https://images.app.goo.gl/k9ViiMfQG3VGSwKt5
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

squarekara wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:43 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:26 pm Anderson’s Reign of Terror is finally over!

;)
https://images.app.goo.gl/k9ViiMfQG3VGSwKt5
Salvador Dolly!!!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I gave him an 8. About on par with Aaron. A little slower than him but seemed more excited to be there.
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

I thought Anderson and Ken have been the best so far. I did not watch the Dr. Oz episodes and have found Mike Richards to be the worst so far. Richards just felt phoney to me, like a used car salesman.

I also wonder how much improvement one should expect over an interim host’s run, given that all ten of their episodes are taped over a 2-day period.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

I gave him an 8. Like others have mentioned, there were odd pauses too often when giving the yes or no to a response. Like Couric, the TV experience showed.

I am under the impression that these are pure guest host appearances. No one is auditioning for the job. At most, the producers are looking at what kind of person they want for the permanent host. So far, I think TV experience is a must. There is a wide gap between the TV on-camera professionals and those with limited TV experience. It will be interesting to see the difference when we get an actor instead of a news person.
--Peter
yclept

Post by yclept »

I gave him an 8. As I said in an earlier thread, he hosted it as I would expect Anderson Cooper to host a game show (he did an amazing job on “The Mole” back in the day - though that was obviously a much different world than Jeopardy!).

He did his job. Nothing memorable, nothing that bothered me.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:38 am There is a wide gap between the TV on-camera professionals and those with limited TV experience.
There is, and there isn't. Cooper was more at ease onstage than Jennings and Rodgers, but did Ken ever have to look down at his paper to check a correct response?

Given a choice between Cooper (lots of presence) and Jennings (depth of knowledge), I'm not sure why Rodgers (neither) remains an option.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Robert K S wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:33 pm There is, and there isn't. Cooper was more at ease onstage than Jennings and Rodgers, but did Ken ever have to look down at his paper to check a correct response?
That could be a matter of preparation. Cooper clearly knows how to prepare. You don't get to his level of news reporting without being prepared for an interview. Some lack of preparation would certainly explain his slow yes/no replies to the contestants as well as a need to consult his paper.
Given a choice between Cooper (lots of presence) and Jennings (depth of knowledge), I'm not sure why Rodgers (neither) remains an option.
I'm not sure, either. I simply don't get it. I'm fine with Rodgers as a guest host. Get a smart guy from the world of football on and perhaps expose a wider audience to the show, if only for a week or two. Given the opportunity, I have no problem with the producers taking it. But so far I've only seen three people who would make a viable permanent host: Couric, Cooper, and Jennings. And I'm not sure any of them really want the job.
--Peter
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:03 pm I've only seen three people who would make a viable permanent host: Couric, Cooper, and Jennings. And I'm not sure any of them really want the job.
Oh, I think Jennings really wants the job. Multi-million dollar salary with decades of earning potential - and trivia is his thing. The other 2 obviously don’t need the money.