How Did Anderson Cooper Do as Host

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Anderson Cooper on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best

No votes
No votes
1%
3%
4%
4%
22%
36%
23%
7%

Total votes: 73

alietr
Site Admin

How Did Anderson Cooper Do as Host

Post by alietr »

How do you think Anderson Cooper did as host?
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: How Did Anderson Cooper Do as Host

Post by mas3cf »

Mostly pretty good, IMHO he was a little too chatty, and at times that may have contributed to not all the clues being played.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

7, same as Mike Richards, but I'd put Richards ahead of him in the rankings. He was mostly technically proficient, but I just didn't warm to him. I was glad when his run was over though apprehensive about what the next stunt host will be like. I know nothing about Bill Whitaker except that he's 69 years old and not a viable candidate for new host so... stop screwing around, guys.

I get the impression that Cooper didn't do a lot to prepare for the job, choosing to rely on his abilities to handle this stuff on the fly. Those abilities are considerable, of course, but he still had more odd line readings than he needed to. And there were those two days in a row where he didn't tell the contestant what their max wager could be on a DD. He got it right on the third try which causes me to wonder if he got told/reminded after the first miss, missed it a second time, and only got it right after he was told AGAIN. I may be wrong and/or overly-nitpicky--well, definitely the latter--but we're talking impressions here and that's how it impressed me. Aaron Rodgers set a high bar for preparation and also for just the pure joy of being there. It's a hard act to follow... because it wasn't an act. I'm hoping LeVar Burton has already begun his training and isn't planning to just coast through on his experience and likeability and the public goodwill. I think he's got a good shot but he's got to show that he wants it and can earn it, not merely that he's entitled due to previous good works.

Anyway, if Cooper were the new permanent host, he'd be kind of on the line for me. If I didn't have JBoard, I might or might not keep watching the show. I might just lose interest. It's a strange thing to say since I agree that the host isn't the star. But the host isn't irrelevant either. The game wouldn't be as fun with Watson reading the clues. The host plays a role in my feeling like I'm having a good time. For me, Cooper doesn't bring a lot to the table there. Still, he's definitely ahead of Oz where it would be a bit of an effort to decide to keep watching.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:24 am The game wouldn't be as fun with Watson reading the clues.
It could be if Watson were programmed to engage in repartée, but just didn't quite know how to do it:

Contestant: "What is Minnesota?"
Watson: "Ooh, sorry, you were thinking about Volume 13, page 43 of the Encyclopedia Britannica."

"I'll wager $4500."
"Bold move, given that it decreases your win probability by 11.2%"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:40 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:24 am The game wouldn't be as fun with Watson reading the clues.
It could be if Watson were programmed to engage in repartée, but just didn't quite know how to do it:

Contestant: "What is Minnesota?"
Watson: "Ooh, sorry, you were thinking about Volume 13, page 43 of the Encyclopedia Britannica."

"I'll wager $4500."
"Bold move, given that it decreases your win probability by 11.2%"
:lol:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

9 for me as I was able to watch the 10 games and not think about there being a guest host in charge. The negatives are silly as in I did not need to know there is an Al Smith Dinner. Keep your tidbits about NY society stuff to yourself. When the host makes comments the name Anderson is longer to type than shorter names.

If Anderson were to become the permanent host he seems like a guy who would have enough of a star quality to get studio audience members to show up whenever that resumes. Anderson would be good at doing Q&A during the breaks like Alex did.

Unless someone spills the beans we have no way of knowing how crew members take to the circus of revolving hosts. I would suspect the taping sessions were better paced for Anderson's two days and the staff/contestants were not in the studio as long as they were for some of the other hosts.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'd put him 3rd so far.

If I remember correctly, my current rankings are:

Ken 9
Aaron 8.75
Anderson 8.25
Katie 8
Dr. Oz 7.5
Mike 7
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Started off strong, but he kinda trailed off a bit as the show went on. I'd probably give him a 7, below Ken and Aaron.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:20 am 9 for me as I was able to watch the 10 games and not think about there being a guest host in charge. The negatives are silly as in I did not need to know there is an Al Smith Dinner. Keep your tidbits about NY society stuff to yourself. When the host makes comments the name Anderson is longer to type than shorter names.
I think he was suggesting that the dinner is one reason that people might know the name. It's a political occasion not a society one, and is always reported on in presidential election years because the candidates attend and tell jokes about each other. Shockingly, it got ugly in 2016.
davey

Post by davey »

I kept thinking he was introducing a new 60 Minutes piece. The man has read a lot of copy in his life and it shows. The familiar inflections grew wearying...I know people have been complaining for weeks about "We were looking for..." but it only got to me with AC's repetitions...
He's a smooth and skilled professional, and he had the advantage of a couple of the most exciting games of the year. But to me he was the most boring of the hosts so far...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I gave Cooper a 9. It's really interesting, to me, to compare him and Jennings, who also won me over in ways I should have expected but didn't. I think Jennings is more quick-witted and better with the technical aspects of running the gameplay--quicker with a ruling, more clever with replies to contestants' responses. Cooper, I think, had a more natural command of the stage, and was slightly better with the reading, part of which was just a difference in voice timbre. They were both great with conducting contestant interviews. Perhaps Ken had a slight edge there (Cooper did stumble with trying to come up with something to say about the contestants' stories once or twice--Ken would never miss a beat), but it was close.

Really, really looking forward to seeing what Burton can bring to the table. I predict his style is going to be very different--I am expecting calmer, slower, which may not be a good thing. But if he can bring some stage presence and gravitas to the role, as only an experienced actor can, it should be a good week.

I wish Coates and Faust, Alex's two noms, among others, had been given a shot during the guest-hosting interregnum.

Also curious what Buzzy will be like and if his being hired to run the ToC is a hint that he could be under serious consideration to take the lectern on a permanent basis.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I found Cooper to be very personable and likeable. Obviously he looks the part, too. The only minor gripe I have is the slight pause he'd give sometimes after responses. I doubt he wants the permanent gig, but I'd certainly have no objections to him getting it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I'm just not getting it. He was reading the clues faster than Ken did, but never slowed down. Then there were weird pauses. The pacing overall kept throwing me. And Friday he interrupts Emily to humblebrag about that book he read...

If 360 here got the gig, I probably wouldn't stop watching, but I would stop auditioning...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:20 am 9 for me as I was able to watch the 10 games and not think about there being a guest host in charge.
That's a key item in my thoughts, as well. He was unobtrusive and I was very satisfied with the way he let the games play out. My biggest issue is the hesitation mentioned by Kirk:
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:01 pm I found Cooper to be very personable and likeable. Obviously he looks the part, too. The only minor gripe I have is the slight pause he'd give sometimes after responses.
Overall, I'm finding it harder to slot each guest host as an individual; as the number increases I tend to group them. On a scale of 1 to 10 I need decimals.

But so far my likes in order are

Ken Jennings
[small gap]
Anderson Cooper
Katie Couric
Aaron Rogers
[larger gap]
Mike Richards
[BIG gap]
Mehmet Oz
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I’d rate Cooper a bit behind Ken and a bit ahead of Aaron. I though his first few games were a breath of fresh air compared to Aaron’s more snoozy pace, but I thought by the second week a note of blandness crept in, as if he could have been announcing anything. I think it’s a case of professional announcing skills being both an asset and a liability. I’d still watch the game if he were the permanent host.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I thought he was dull. I don’t think he’d take the job anyway so no big deal. It seemed like he was somewhat surprised by the information on his cards. Maybe he’d have been better off following couric & not nfl guy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've liked him the most so far. Very straightforward and professional. I didn't feel he was dull.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I didn't expect to like AC, but I thought he got it right. He seemed very comfortable, very capable, and he kept the game moving. A few nights ago, I caught him on one of the late night talk shows (Kimmel?) laughing about having underestimated J! titan Cheech Marin, and that endeared him to me.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

Besides having more experience than Aaron Rodgers in terms of being on Celebrity JEOPARDY!, I thought he did well, even if he is a bit chattier than Ken. If either Anderson or Ken becomes the host, I am still going to watch and even try to get on the show myself. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing how Bill Whitaker and Mayim Bialik do when their episodes air. :)
Just a person who loves game shows.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

A big meh from me, and his inability to get the timing down for responding to a contestant’s answer got really annoying - I got no sense he was improving with experience. Glad he’s done.