FJ!s for the 4/26/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 4/26.21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:48 pm

The mythical founder Byzas consulted the Oracle of Delphi before establishing what's now known as this city
84%
This subtropical region is a biosphere reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, &, as of 1947, a National Park
84%
This director was quoted as saying, "I believe I can take any 60 pages of the Bible and make a great picture"
86%
A homophone of a letter in the alphabet, this 5-letter word sounds the same if you remove its last 4 vowels
92%
In books by him, the Kingdom of Noland, ruled by an orphan named Bud, borders a country called Ix, where Queen Zixi reigns  
48%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
34%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
BUSINESS ACRONYMS & ABBREV. $800: NASDAQ is the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated these bids & offers
37%
LET'S VISIT THE CITY $1000: Begun in 778, the Buddhist temple Kiyomizu-Dera is in this city & former capital of Japan
71%
WE HAVE SUCH CHEMISTRY $2000: This Frenchman's 1789 "Elementary Treatise on Chemistry" is said to be the field's first modern textbook
55%
I came up short on the Monday FJ! clue with Byzantium or Constantinople.
3%
I have visited Istanbul.
2%
I have visited the Everglades.
21%
I could have named Blount as DeMille's middle name if that was needed for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
1%
I needed to run through the alphabet to solve the Thursday FJ! clue.
29%
Kipling was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
3%
Tolkien was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
1%
Martin or Lewis was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
20%
I am pretty sure to certain I have read Queen Zixi of Ix.
1%
At least one game in my area aired later than normal due to President Biden's speech or the NFL draft.
36%

Total votes: 87

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: FJ!s for the 4/26/21 week

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:53 am
Robert K S wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:59 am Happy to join the fiver club this week and surprised that so few (45% as of now) are checking the Friday box. To me, it was as simple as "'Ix' looks like 'Oz', done".
I latched on to Noland and imagined a connection to Nowhere -> Erewhon and went Samuel Butler. Was concerned that Ix could have something to do with the number 9... Ice Nine = Cat's Cradle = Vonnegut? "Ix looks like Oz" didn't even occur to me.
Me neither too, and I actively considered Baum before going off in search of a better fit. As far as I knew, Ix was just Ford Prefect's schoolboy nickname which meant "boy who is not able satisfactorily to explain what a Hrung is, nor why it should choose to collapse on Betelgeuse Seven."
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJ!s for the 4/26/21 week

Post by John Boy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

First time this season. It's been rough and this was most welcome.