LL89 Jboardlite rundle is going Rogue for one season

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

LL89 Jboardlite rundle is going Rogue for one season

Post by twelvefootboy »

(from posting in LL88 thread):
Preface: I hope this isn't stepping on the previously established JBoard rundle which has been dormant a few seasons.

Announcement: ALL Boardies are welcome to join the mutant private rundle for LL89. I've toyed with this idea for bizarro scoring rules and am just curious about how it might work to make a level playing field for mixed skill levels from A to Z. I hope our past players can indulge this experiment, but if not, we will go back to standard format for LL90.

Scoring - of course TI doesn't have provisions for local rules, but using the game results, we can determine the "winner" as a combination of:
1) Most 3's allowed
2) Fewest 0's allowed
3) Unforced points allowed
4) DE
5) tbd if any other metrics or derivative stats can be conjured.
6) "winner" might be just the sum of place finish for the subject stats

Benefits (possibly)
1) Level playing field across A through E players
2) Will be about equally fun/interesting with 10 to 50 players
3) Potential defense skills improvement for your regular matches (or not, can't hurt can it?).

The challenge is to play opposite defense. I think this has the potential of sharpening your regular match play by giving another viewpoint. As far as I know, the private rundle stats don't tarnish your official LL record - if I am overlooking something, please let me know.
I've tried to gameplan this and model it and I just can't figure out how it will flow. Will E players actually get an edge since you really don't know what kind of surprise crap we may know? It's easier for E players to handicap the A players - a six-pack is a six-pack after all.
Of course we are on the honor system to try to lose in good faith. I think by definition everybody on this board and in LL is curious, so I hope I can get buy-in from A's through E's, and especially the alumni. Let's have a season in Crazytown and see how it goes!

Rundle name: JBizarro / pw: alextrebek

Disclaimer: Please let me know your JBoard handle for my progress reports, comments, pokes and jabs. If it is your name and you wish to remain anonymous, I will not dox you in postings except as anon1 or similar.

I'll be cutting/pasting this post to previous JBoardlite alums. Any and all plausible suggestions will be considered and implemented, including impeachment of the commissioner :roll:

Reminder - You need to be a Premier member or above (the $50 membership level). Registration deadline is 12 May. Last to register is in danger of being the odd man out, I hope we can come out even.

PM me if any questions - if it is time sensitive you can email [email protected].

I shall create a new JBoard thread with this dupe information, but in season will plan to get into whatever LL89 thread gets started.

Come and help us break Learned League!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: LL89 Jboardlite rundle is going Rogue for one season

Post by Bamaman »

I tried to register with that rundle name and password but it said it was invalid.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:25 am I tried to register with that rundle name and password but it said it was invalid.
It should work. Got 5 and counting so this is good timing. I did mean to add 89 to it, but this is less typing :). Here's the LL pasting:

Set up a Private Rundle (for LL89)
You are Commissioner of the following Private Rundle: JBizarro
Registration Code: alextrebek
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

AB00F99B-90DF-4BCB-9ECA-47036398A9C6.jpeg
AB00F99B-90DF-4BCB-9ECA-47036398A9C6.jpeg (112.87 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
Here is what I entered and it didn’t work.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

You've got a space at the end of the password section. "alextrebek" vs "alextrebek ".
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:58 pm You've got a space at the end of the password section. "alextrebek" vs "alextrebek ".
Thanks for the help desk support ;) . They usually ask me if my television is plugged in:lol:.
Hope to see Bamaman soon. JBoardies are usually procrastinators about these deadlines which makes it hard to come out even on the last day.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That worked. Thanks!!!
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:51 pm Thanks for the help desk support ;) . They usually ask me if my television is plugged in:lol:.
"Hello, IT, did you try turning it off and back on again?" :lol:
Bamaman wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:05 am That worked. Thanks!!!
Happy to help!
twelvefootboy

T - 5 days bump! LL89 Jboardlite rundle is going Rogue for one season

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bump reminder for LL registration deadline is May 12.

We have 9 brave souls in the Bizarro rundle now - we need an odd number of odd players :).
twelvefootboy

10 hours left to find one more JBizarro player Re: LL89 Jboardlite rundle is going Rogue for one season

Post by twelvefootboy »

We will have an odd man out if we can't pick up one more player :(.

Anybody want to join the fun/misery??

See thread for details, or go directly to registration and jump in : JBizarro / alextrebek

Good luck in the LL89 season.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Sorry I wasn't able to join up for the fun this season. I still haven't figured out to play regular defense.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Chalk up a surprising 3(1)-2(1) win on MD1 for me. Can't believe I was awarded 3 points for Nazca. Or, maybe I watched the segment of Unsolved Mysteries on the Nazca lines so many times that it seemed like just an easy clue for me.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

SBurrus wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:35 am Chalk up a surprising 3(1)-2(1) win on MD1 for me. Can't believe I was awarded 3 points for Nazca. Or, maybe I watched the segment of Unsolved Mysteries on the Nazca lines so many times that it seemed like just an easy clue for me.
Well I was coming to this thread to say I completely forgot that we're doing special defense rules, but I'm going to pretend that I totally meant to assign you 3 for Nazca because I obviously knew you watched Unsolved Mysteries all the time :lol:
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Made it day 2 before forgetting about the rules....
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t understand the scoring rules. What exactly should I be doing?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Bamaman wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:47 am I don’t understand the scoring rules. What exactly should I be doing?
I don't know but here is a passage taken from Heinlein's Space Cadet:
Spoiler
Late in the day he was ushered into a cubbyhole containing a chair, a gadget mounted on a desk, pencil and paper, and framed directions.
"If any score from a previous test," Matt read, "appears in the window marked SCORE, return the starting lever to the position marked NEUTRAL to clear the board for your test."
Matt found the window labeled "SCORE"; it had a score showing in it - "37."
Well, he thought, that gives me a mark to shoot at. He decided not to clear the board until he had read the instructions.

"After the test starts," he read, "a score of T will result each time you press the lefthand button except as otherwise provided here below. Press the lefthand button whenever the red light appears provided the green light is not lighted as well except that no button should be pressed when the righthand gate is open unless all lights are out. If the right-hand gate is open and the lefthand gate is closed, no score will result from pressing any button, but the lefthand button must nevertheless be pressed under these circumstances if all other conditions permit a button to be pressed before any score may be made in succeeding phases of the test. To put out the green light, press the righthand button. If the lefthand gate is not closed, no button may be pressed. If the lefthand gate is closed while the red light is lighted, do not press the lefthand button if the green light is out unless the righthand gate is open. To start the test move the starting lever from neutral all the way to the right. The test runs for two minutes from the time you move the starting lever to the right. Study these instructions, then select your own time for commencing the test. You are not permitted to ask questions of the examiner, so be sure that you understand the instructions. Make as high a score as possible."
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Bamaman wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:47 am I don’t understand the scoring rules. What exactly should I be doing?
Read the first post in the thread but basically trying to give up as many points as possible...and ignore the actual standings.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Apologies to all for missing the posts for two days.
mahatma wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:04 am Sorry I wasn't able to join up for the fun this season. I still haven't figured out to play regular defense.
I was hoping you'd be back to see if bizarro rules would level the playing field so we can have A-E players in a friendly and frustrating competition. We did pick up another A rundler whom shall remain nameless until they out theirself :).
kerryoakie wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:03 am
Well I was coming to this thread to say I completely forgot that we're doing special defense rules, but I'm going to pretend that I totally meant to assign you 3 for Nazca because I obviously knew you watched Unsolved Mysteries all the time :lol:
classicroadster wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:50 am Made it day 2 before forgetting about the rules....
Thanks for playing Calvinball this season as my little experiment to see if we can play with the big fish:lol:. For right now, the ticket is to just play to lose. After only two days, however, I realize that it is exactly the same thought process as regular defense, so I'd like to figure out something with a wrinkle. After MD9, the first full round might reveal a way to trick it up. Anybody with any ideas, bring them on.

My original thought was to emphasize awarding threes - it isn't not be as easy as you think. My premise was that it is harder for the A players to figure out which is a 90% question than it is us normal people. We know if we got one right, it must be easy, AmIright? We've all missed sitting ducks for failure to RTFQ, overthinking, etc.. To my dismay, Thorsten's default stats don't tell you how many 3's you awarded, just what you received. I am thinking of something along the lines of UfPA and DE, maybe the quotient of the two. If you can get a DE of zero, you will score infinity!.

Unless the serious players kick us out, I propose we post in the regular LL89 thread so you don't have to double post. I will spoiler any longer updates.

Anybody else go all stupid and answer "sharks and jets" for West Side Story? Ugh. I know I have company with not RTFQ and answering Oldsmobile, but got credit anyway.