Monday, May 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept »

Bill did a fine job on Day 1. I know he is likely not a contender for a full-time gig given he is a little older. Like with the other hosts, I suspect he will be interject some more of his personality as he gets comfortable.

The champ has some guts. Slow moving game with plenty of misses and triple stares, yet she went for the jugular with the DD bets. In the Jeopardy round, not completely surprising. In DJ, she did what many would not.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mas3cf wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:54 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:32 pm Ulysses Grant, who smoked up to 20 cigars a day, was the only president who died of cancer.
That is statistically mind-boggling, given that over 20% of men die of cancer.

Sure enough, it checks out. Only possible exceptions being Jefferson - whose cause of death is not definitively known but had symptoms of prostate cancer - and Hoover, who had intestinal cancer but it wasn't clearly linked to his death.
I'll bet that percentage was much lower back then. People died of a lot of other causes before they would get cancer. (Some quick research digs up this statistic: in 1850, cancer was the cause of death in 61 of every 1,000 deaths, or 6.1%.)

Since I got FJ right, it's easy to say, but WECIB? Greeley's advice came immediately to mind.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Instaget FJ for me, but perhaps a toughie if you don't know the quote. I thought Eliza had a chance to prevent a runaway late with some different clue calls. Moot point anyway with the lone solve.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:40 am
floridagator wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:32 pm Ulysses Grant, who smoked up to 20 cigars a day, was the only president who died of cancer.

Sure enough, it checks out. Only possible exceptions being Jefferson - whose cause of death is not definitively known but had symptoms of prostate cancer - and Hoover, who had intestinal cancer but it wasn't clearly linked to his death.
Jimmy Carter would have been dead of cancer by now if not for life-saving technologies and institutions.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Another problem with the Final is that it seems to be based on popularized but unsubstantiated lore. It's not clear that Horace Greeley ever said "Go West, young man".

http://blog.rarenewspapers.com/?p=3575

To be sure, Greeley was a proponent of Manifest Destiny and colonization of the West, but a mere "overland journey" that did not result in settlement West would not seem to be "following" this "advice".
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:46 pm This was the exceptionally rare case when my FJ precall hit. I most likely woke my wife up with my loud guffaw upon the reveal. A $24k combined Coryat sounds very low. Is this a case for a Fourth podium poll, Opus?
13 triple stumpers providing $15,600 in lach trash. Of COURSE it's... not. Pick up all the trash and you're still in second place going into an FJ that Emily solved. She is making good use of her opportunities to rake in the bucks. The trash may be exposing a few holes in her knowledge, but she's making up for that by playing the game the way it was meant to be played. And it's worth noting that even if she'd missed that second DD and been sent back down to $0, she'd still have won this game with her sole solve. She just wouldn't have as much money to show for it.
brick

Post by brick »

I got stuck on Horatio Alger and couldn't get him dislodged to think of someone else. I hate when that happens.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:35 am Another problem with the Final is that it seems to be based on popularized but unsubstantiated lore. It's not clear that Horace Greeley ever said "Go West, young man".

To be sure, Greeley was a proponent of Manifest Destiny and colonization of the West, but a mere "overland journey" that did not result in settlement West would not seem to be "following" this "advice".
Yes, the tone of this FJ is a bit flippant. Meant to be easy - is there a more famous piece of 19th C. advice? - but not quite serious.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

davey wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 am
Robert K S wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:35 am Another problem with the Final is that it seems to be based on popularized but unsubstantiated lore. It's not clear that Horace Greeley ever said "Go West, young man".

Yes, the tone of this FJ is a bit flippant. Meant to be easy - is there a more famous piece of 19th C. advice? - but not quite serious.
This brings out another important consideration about the eventual permanent host who'll succeed Alex Trebek. Since the writing room has let its standards slip so visibly of late, the show very much needs a new host who is well-read enough to notice such sloppiness and to intervene when necessary. No matter how friendly and glib the new host may be, if the show loses its reputation as a bastion of accuracy it will quickly become just another game show. How hard would it have been for a producer to look at that FJ clue and ask for an edit or a rewrite, after discovering that it relied on unconfirmed lore and a tenuous premise? Disappointingly sloppy writing.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alietr wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:40 am

I'll bet that percentage was much lower back then. People died of a lot of other causes before they would get cancer. (Some quick research digs up this statistic: in 1850, cancer was the cause of death in 61 of every 1,000 deaths, or 6.1%.)
The counter-arguement here is Presidents who died of natural causes were generally outliers in terms of longevity for their times. John Adams comes to mind. Heck, even WH Harrison of the famed 31 day term was 68 in 1841.
OCSam
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:03 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:52 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:45 pm

Vijay Balse's gap was what, 13 years between first try and TOC championship? (sorry, Stefan). There could be people from the 80s still trying.
Yes. I'm one of them. My first audition was 1988, And yes, I'm still trying.

(And CCs, if you're reading this, I'm ready for my close-up.)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

The phrenology DD recalls this Final Jeopardy! from season 34

ETYMOLOGY: This 8-letter word meaning "cultured" or "intellectual" originated with a phrenology concept
Spoiler
What is highbrow?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:28 pm The phrenology DD recalls this Final Jeopardy! from season 34

ETYMOLOGY: This 8-letter word meaning "cultured" or "intellectual" originated with a phrenology concept
Spoiler
What is highbrow?
Didn't get it then. Didn't get it this time either. Here's the poll if anyone else wants to check their work.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4399

25% get rate puts it at the very difficult end of Fair. (My personal arbitrary metric says that regular season FJs should poll between 25% and 75%. Anything higher is a little to a lot too easy. Anything lower is either too obscure or possibly the clue is flawed in some way.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:48 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:28 pm The phrenology DD recalls this Final Jeopardy! from season 34

Spoiler
What is highbrow?
Didn't get it then. Didn't get it this time either. Here's the poll if anyone else wants to check their work.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4399

25% get rate puts it at the very difficult end of Fair. (My personal arbitrary metric says that regular season FJs should poll between 25% and 75%. Anything higher is a little to a lot too easy. Anything lower is either too obscure or possibly the clue is flawed in some way.)
We're probably not a representative gen pop sample, though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Comedy Central $600 and Prom Music $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni