Monday, May 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, May 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

mas3cf wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:43 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:52 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:45 pm Fans are going to be ready for a permanent host by next season and I would think the staff are certainly looking forward to the chosen one who can facilitate a shorter day.
This. Starting to feel better and better about not getting the call during the interregnum - but Cesar’s story about auditioning LAST DECADE gave me much angst about ever getting The Call (again)
(Narrator): 1997 wasn't in the last decade.
:shock: :? :lol:
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:15 pm Six in a row!
Nice! Buy a Mega Millions ticket for tomorrow.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:15 pm BW one is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7014

I think I only had to type "Bill" twice. Once was for correcting a player's mispronunciation and the other was for adding a little about the correct FJ! response.

Anderson definitely had more host add-ons.
Corrected?? She was right. Riordan is an Irish name and I've never heard it pronounced any other way than Rear-don.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:16 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:15 pm BW one is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7014

I think I only had to type "Bill" twice. Once was for correcting a player's mispronunciation and the other was for adding a little about the correct FJ! response.

Corrected?? She was right. Riordan is an Irish name and I've never heard it pronounced any other way than Rear-don.
Take it up with the man himself?

CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:27 pm

*shakes head in disgust*
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Ulysses Grant, who smoked up to 20 cigars a day, was the only president who died of cancer.

LOL, just LOL at Robert Frost making that Overland journey in 1859. He was still alive at John F Kennedy's inauguration.

I expected somebody to take the neg bait on Mark Twain. The middle contestant's wager made absolutely no sense at all. There was no upside to that wager.
Last edited by floridagator on Mon May 03, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:31 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:27 pm

Spoiler
*shakes head in disgust*
Next he'll be claiming that Percy Jackson is pronounced HEH-ree PAH-tur.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

floridagator wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:32 pm Ulysses Grant, who smoked up to 20 cigars a day, was the only president who died of cancer.
That is statistically mind-boggling, given that over 20% of men die of cancer.

Sure enough, it checks out. Only possible exceptions being Jefferson - whose cause of death is not definitively known but had symptoms of prostate cancer - and Hoover, who had intestinal cancer but it wasn't clearly linked to his death.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I also fell for the George IV negbait on clue 7, but quickly switched as Eliza's and my mistake was quickly realized.

I personally think not counting "simulator" for "video game" is a close call and a bit nitpicky, but I can see the difference. I mean all video games are simulators of some kind. That clue as well as not knowing cherries jubilee kept me from a clean 30/30 in SJ

A lot of well-deserved correct responses for me in the 2nd half of the game as well, as I've made flash cards over the years for authors James Jones, Graham Greene, Ken Kesey, and the big one of Horace Greeley at the end.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

NGL, I didn't like Bill. He left me feeling REALLY bored. 😴
It's the end of the journey that counts.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mas3cf wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:54 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:32 pm Ulysses Grant, who smoked up to 20 cigars a day, was the only president who died of cancer.
That is statistically mind-boggling, given that over 20% of men die of cancer.

Sure enough, it checks out. Only possible exceptions being Jefferson - whose cause of death is not definitively known but had symptoms of prostate cancer - and Hoover, who had intestinal cancer but it wasn't clearly linked to his death.
And four presidents died of assassination, or almost 9%, which, while I don't have the data in front of me so grain of salt, seems unlikely to be that high a cause of death for the general public.

Edit: Everyone remembered Ted Lasso from January, right? Right??
Last edited by Volante on Mon May 03, 2021 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. 3/4 on big clues. Guessed Twain for FJ. Didn't know the "Go West, young man" factoid. In my head I've had Horace Greeley and Joseph Pulitzer mixed up, thinking Greeley had the rivalry with Hearst. I've also mixed up Horace Greeley and Horace Mann. Glad to learn more.

I thought Bill Whitaker did the best of the guest hosts so far. He seemed unflappable. If the show took two hours to tape then that's an issue. Must be exhausting to play through that.

Emily is doing great. I really like her as a contestant.

I wonder if the response of "triremes" came from playing the video game Civilization.

I missed the clue about a tank-driving video game and said tank-driving experiment. I guess they didn't let test subjects drive tanks. More fun but probably too much paperwork.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Mike Nichols, William IV, Rick Riordan, Graham Greene, and cheap thrills.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:32 pm LOL, just LOL at Robert Frost making that Overland journey in 1859. He was still alive at John F Kennedy's inauguration.
I'm assuming he was thinking of "The Road Not Taken," but yeah, Frost was born in 1874.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:07 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:32 pm LOL, just LOL at Robert Frost making that Overland journey in 1859. He was still alive at John F Kennedy's inauguration.
I'm assuming he was thinking of "The Road Not Taken," but yeah, Frost was born in 1874.
My dad thought he was thinking of "...miles to go before I sleep."
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'm assuming he was thinking of "The Road Not Taken," but yeah.
I think the rule of "Always write down SOMETHING" gives broad immunity to criticism of game contestants under the lights. A pre-call list of 19th century Americans might not have any authors (mine wouldn't), and once you get stuck, it's hard to move off the wrong foot. I am vague about Frost's lifespan and could put him late in the 19th century, but no, not pre-Civil war. I guess the Kennedy factoid is well known,

I got this surprisingly easy and can see how hard it would be if you didn't get the sanitized version of white history that we Baby Boomers got. Manifest Destiny and Indians and Mexicans be damned :evil: .

I think I like Bill and hope to get to know him for a couple of weeks and then not see him host the show again. At 69, he's a little old to start hosting Jeopardy, and too young to be a lead reporter on 60 Minutes :lol:. I wonder if all the guest hosts (except Ken and Mike) had a long first session to get up the learning curve. He handled this episode with the minimum presence possible.

I'm unofficially counting the number of times that a quotation mark category is used with the host explaining that it means "the word(s)/letter(s) in quotations marks will appear in every correct response". We are at three instances since I started counting to juxtapose Opus' fixation with deficit wagering fundage for DD wagers.

Emily plays a good game. I felt bad about phlogistism, and like Opus, TIL that it has a "j" sound. Lois Lowry? Great get!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This was the exceptionally rare case when my FJ precall hit. I most likely woke my wife up with my loud guffaw upon the reveal. A $24k combined Coryat sounds very low. Is this a case for a Fourth podium poll, Opus?
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

These boards yielded bounteous trash exceeded only by the Earth's orbiting space debris: Mike Nichols, edict, Ken Kesey, Graham Greene, From Here to Eternity, phlogiston.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:46 pm
I'm assuming he was thinking of "The Road Not Taken," but yeah.
I think the rule of "Always write down SOMETHING" gives broad immunity to criticism of game contestants under the lights.
I agree. It's much better than nothing.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I had FJ spoiled but I don't see any way I would have missed it.

I was very impressed by Bill Whitaker; there seems to be a general sense that he isn't a serious contender, but I'm perfectly content with him the next two weeks.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:23 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:14 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:07 pm I said the expected "skull" for phrenology. Mrs P said "head". I assume that would have been accepted, but maybe it would get a BMS? She's not sure what she would have done in that case. Panicked, probably. She and I are super-compatible that way.
What would they have done with forehead?!
Applied directly to it, of course.
Hey, I was going to say that.

A problem with writing down a hopeless FJ response is that if the right answer comes to you in the last seconds, you may not have time to write it and also cross out the wrong answer.

Speaking of which, does the show have a policy for when a contestant offers two answers connected by "or"? I think an invitation to pick one would have been generous.

Also horrified by Riordan's pronunciation of his name. A most peculiar man.

Greeley was 48 when he went west. If we want to call that a young man, I'm certainly not arguing.
I'm smart and I want respect.