Tuesday, May 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 1970s memoir told of harsh places that metaphorically were like an island chain "from the Bering Strait almost to the Bosporus"

Emily Sands: 5200+799=5999
Hanna Howard: 20800-200=20600 (New Champ)
Brittany Eltman: 2200-2200=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Gulag Archipelago (Hanna – What is?) (Brittany – What is ___)

Daily Doubles
Emily: 3800+3800
Hanna: 12000+4000
Emily: 6200-6200

Coryats
Emily: 8400
Hanna: 18000
Brittany: 2200

Combined: 28,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Emily: 8200
Hanna: 6000
Brittany: 5800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bill opened the DJ! round by saying there were no incorrect responses in the J! round. The players' scores combined for 20,000 or 2K over the board values. Of course that meant the DJ! round was going to go rough and both Emily & Brittany ended up with their scores lower after 58 clues than they were after 30 clues.

Ring the doorbell and run away? Definitely ditch and not dash in my neighborhood. A very rare antic for my friends and I as we had other ways of being nuisances in our youth.

The FJ! category had me try a few precalls for kicks and I had Hesse, Eco and Mann.

The FJ! clue had me stumped and I failed to notice how the dots were right there to connect. Instead the best I had was Bosporus = Turkey and I wrote "Midnight Run" to be doubly wrong as I was picturing the movie Midnight Express. :oops:

No consolation that if I would have had the right work I would have spelled it correctly unlike Emily that had an I for an A in her sole solve. Too bad for Emily that she only got the $2000 out the door, but you gotta convert that DD3 if you want to stick around and make the ToC. [Reminder to myself to poll that clue for the correct response vs. the incorrect response]

Nice debut by Hanna to have a cleaner DJ! round than her opponents.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

No surprise that Emily got FJ right today. Her solve of yesterday's clue shows that she has some real depth of knowledge. I also missed it, going with Kon-Tiki. Went east from the Bering Strait instead of west, and then couldn't quite shake off "island chain", metaphorical as it may have been.

Shame about DD3. I'll be interested to see what it was.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's finished: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7015

4th podium win is possible though you have to have just about all of the trash to get over $10K.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:12 pm Went east from the Bering Strait instead of west
Glad I'm not the only one...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I know I learned about the Final response from trivia, I thought from Jeopardy!, and, I thought, from another Final, but nothing shows up with an Archive search.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:20 pm I know I learned about the Final response from trivia, I thought from Jeopardy!, and, I thought, from another Final, but nothing shows up with an Archive search.
Are you sure you didn't have a typo? I'm seeing results:

https://www.j-archive.com/search.php?se ... mit=Search
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mas3cf wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:32 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:20 pm I know I learned about the Final response from trivia, I thought from Jeopardy!, and, I thought, from another Final, but nothing shows up with an Archive search.

I meant another Final. I have in my mind a Final of substantially similar wording. Or it might have been from another quiz competition. These things start to blur together.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:37 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:32 pm

I meant another Final. I have in my mind a Final of substantially similar wording. Or it might have been from another quiz competition. These things start to blur together.
Ah, right. I missed a key word in there, which (perhaps not coincidentally) was one of my issues on Final today.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had heard of the book but I never knew what it is about. But knowing it exists was all it took for the get.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bill doesn't seem particularly interested in the interviews.

My streak ends at six. There was literally no way in Hell I was going to get this one.

ETA: They're probably going to get some interesting responses about the Sam Smith clue by implying that they/them pronouns are "genderless". Non-binary isn't the same thing as genderless.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:46 pm Ring the doorbell and run away? Definitely ditch and not dash in my neighborhood. A very rare antic for my friends and I as we had other ways of being nuisances in our youth.
Definitely 'ditch' out on Long Island.

The definition of archipelago is pretty much in the clue, so instaget FJ.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Truce, Pronouns (4)
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: Pierre Trudeau, John, Shannon DD, Burundi, Bligh, Shackleton (7200)
FJ:
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:12 pm I also missed it, going with Kon-Tiki. Went east from the Bering Strait instead of west, and then couldn't quite shake off "island chain", metaphorical as it may have been.
I thought I would be the only one literal-minded enough to go along that route to Kon-Tiki. :|
bagel: Pop Culture. If J! keeps going in this direction, I'm out. :x
Not sure what DD you missed, Myron. :? We had newsprint in J!, then Michelangelo & the Shannon in DJ!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:20 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:46 pm Ring the doorbell and run away? Definitely ditch and not dash in my neighborhood. A very rare antic for my friends and I as we had other ways of being nuisances in our youth.
Definitely 'ditch' out on Long Island.
I learned "ditch" in my late teens in Southern California. In the early 70s in Tulsa we had a far more inappropriate name that I refuse to divulge.
davey

Post by davey »

I never heard of "ditch" or "dash." I never heard of anyone actually doing that. I didn't run with a bad crowd... :geek: A kind of offensively named fire drill...that we did...
Funny, I never thought about that title enough to realize it's metaphorical. If I hadn't suddenly focused on the word "memoir" the FJ wouldn't have clicked for me. I wrote so fast I'd be lucky onstage if it didn't turn out "Archilepago"...
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

All I had was Archipelago, but thought James Michner was the author.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Just in the past few days I was thinking about that title and wondering exactly how there would be an archipelago in the USSR's mainland, which makes this FJ a happy coincidence for me.

What's the record for consecutive solo gets on FJ for a contestant? I wouldn't be surprised if James or Ken has it, but Emily with three in her last three games feels notable enough.

Boy, a few weeks ago there were posters begging for 3x champs. Perhaps they should have been more specific.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:10 pm ETA: They're probably going to get some interesting responses about the Sam Smith clue by implying that they/them pronouns are "genderless". Non-binary isn't the same thing as genderless.
They/them absolutely are genderless pronouns, and referring to them as such shouldn't be construed as an implication of NB genderlessness.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

38R. 4/4 on big clues. I haven't read The Gulag Archipelago but One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is coming up on my reading list and I can see my copy of it from where I'm sitting. I also went through an archive game earlier today with an overlap (before & afterish) category that wanted "The Gulag Archipelago-go dancers" as a response.

Missed Taiwan and said Philippines. I'm curious who got Taiwan. Missed Burundi and said Uganda. My geography mental map is good but my reading comprehension needs work.

I can't believe I missed Juliette Gordon Low again. Also missed Captain Bligh, Fletcher Christian's name got stuck in my head. Also missed The Wind in the Willows. Easy low hanging fruit.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Spain (17th century war with Netherlands), foyer, Formica, Masters & Johnson, and onionskin.

The players were really good today. It fell apart a little bit in DJ but they came out strong. I barely noticed Bill Whitaker. He's great.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.