Wednesday, May 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:28 am The state of the Archive at the time of the question is irrelevant. Mark's question is valid whether he knew the Archive needed to be corrected or not. That's because his question is about the clue as it actually appeared onscreen. He wants to know, should that actual clue have a note or not? My answer was no. Neither the fact that the Archive once contained an error nor the question of when Mark became aware of that have any bearing on this. Correcting the Archive does not invalidate a question that was never about the Archive and always about the actual clue.
This is beating a dead horse, but the only reason why Mark was asking about whether an erratum was called for was because he did not yet realize that the Archive did not match the show's clue presentation. Once the latter discrepancy was resolved, the former dissipated into the ether.

Irrespective of Mark's question about an erratum, I agree with you that no erratum is called for.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

You Sheldons seem to insist on jibber-jabbering about jibber-jabber.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Watch it, you're about to prolong this by another forty posts
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

And that's a category I wager zero on in a cravat dilemma.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:57 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:28 am The state of the Archive at the time of the question is irrelevant. Mark's question is valid whether he knew the Archive needed to be corrected or not. That's because his question is about the clue as it actually appeared onscreen. He wants to know, should that actual clue have a note or not? My answer was no. Neither the fact that the Archive once contained an error nor the question of when Mark became aware of that have any bearing on this. Correcting the Archive does not invalidate a question that was never about the Archive and always about the actual clue.
This is beating a dead horse, but the only reason why Mark was asking about whether an erratum was called for was because he did not yet realize that the Archive did not match the show's clue presentation. Once the latter discrepancy was resolved, the former dissipated into the ether.
Here's what I understand you to be saying.

1. Mark asked whether the actual clue as presented in his screenshot needed an erratum. The reason he asked that was because the actual clue did not include Y as one of the non-vowels.

2. When he asked that he did not realize there was a discrepancy between the actual clue and the archive.

3. Once that discrepancy was resolved, he no longer had a question about the actual clue which had remained the same and which was what he was asking about all along.

Have I got that right?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:56 am No, I don't think so
I'm sorry it's beating a dead horse. I just don't understand what you're saying and I'm starting to worry about my sanity and ability to interpret simple English. You said, "the only reason why Mark was asking about whether an erratum was called for was because he did not yet realize that the Archive did not match the show's clue presentation."

Let's leave it to Mark. Did you ask the question only because you didn't know about the discrepancy? Does resolving the discrepancy render your question moot or otherwise answer it? Or would you still have asked the question even if there had never been a discrepancy?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:07 am
Robert K S wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:56 am No, I don't think so
I'm sorry it's beating a dead horse. I just don't understand what you're saying and I'm starting to worry about my sanity and ability to interpret simple English. You said, "the only reason why Mark was asking about whether an erratum was called for was because he did not yet realize that the Archive did not match the show's clue presentation."

Let's leave it to Mark. Did you ask the question only because you didn't know about the discrepancy? Does resolving the discrepancy render your question moot or otherwise answer it? Or would you still have asked the question even if there had never been a discrepancy?
Robert, Sg and Golf are right.

My typo set everything in motion. The clue is now correct in the archive. It's now Thursday. We really need a new game now to move on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:46 am My typo set everything in motion ...
Hands of the King have been killed with less fallout
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:04 pm Hands of the King have been killed with less fallout
Good line, I'm going to steal that
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Another cinch FJ in this household. Found the wagering at the end very surprising.

I also said arbitration.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Edited in lieu of deletion; upon further research, my original post was not as accurate as it should have been.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Thu May 06, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Picked Off wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:55 pm Another cinch FJ in this household. Found the wagering at the end very surprising.

I also said arbitration.
Agreed on FJ! Now if I could only find my LP (and my turntable to play it on).

In a crossword puzzle I worked last night, one of the clues was "arbitrate". The desired response was "mediate". :roll:
OCSam
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:57 pm FJ fell into my lap. The category plus the year 1977 early in the clue made me think of the correct response. All that remained was watching that response look better and better as I scanned to the end of the clue. I didn't purchase the album until years later, but I was certainly aware of it at the time and could easily identify the cover with the title removed. I eventually bought it on CD. So depending on the wording, I might get to check a box about this on the weekly poll.
Not I. My usual pop culture music knowledge gap is post-1990, but there's a yawning chasm between 1975 and 1978 while I was overseas. Almost nothing of those years would ring a bell for me except for Silly Love Songs, 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, Play That Funky Music, and Y'all Come Back Saloon, all of which played incessantly on the juke box at the NCO Club.

I wound up going with Every Good Boy Deserves Favour just to have something, anything at all. Knew it was British band in the wrong year, but I had nuttin'.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:57 pm In a crossword puzzle I worked last night, one of the clues was "arbitrate". The desired response was "mediate". :roll:
Definite :roll:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

from the archive:
runs: Religion, Demonyms, Hamilton, President,
DDs: :D :( (trying to shoehorn Bordeaux) :D
trash: Bianca, Ohio, loudmouth (3400)
FJ: Easy peasy. :mrgreen:
also had arbitration
ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ACW »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:17 pm
ACW wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:38 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:49 pm Since the clue mentioned the "British spelling", I wonder if "Rumors" would have been accepted?
I personally wouldn't allow it.
Now you've gone and outed yourself as John McVie.
:lol:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:42 pm Good luck to Opus tilting the "explain the deficit betting option at DD's" windmill. And morbeedo's "don't call them dollars, them is points" windmill. (C'mon man, it says $2600 (as in twenty-six hundred DOLLARS) RIGHT ON THE LECTERN):lol:)
lol nooooo, for the record I'm not tilting at dollars vs. points! It just grates on me when the guest hosts say "dollars" whenever they report the score, because the word is superfluous. Go back and listen to Alex - he never said it. "You have eight hundred dollars and you can risk up to a thousand dollars." Every time I hear dollars, I scream, pull my hair and punch the pillow (except at the top of the show when the champ's total is announced)

People, please! Toulouse was not that tough - I'm sorry, but not when spotted France + south and + OU 2x. I thought she'd get it as a crossword player, but she looked flummoxed

OTOH, I get annoyed when they go from words like courthouse to loudmouth to, uh, courteous. Sure, courteous fits the category, but it doesn't fit the pattern phonetically so I was thrown. I've noticed this in similar categories where there's a word in the series that doesn't sound like the preceding ones, and I usually miss, then groan

OMG what was he thinking?! Personally, I would have blinked on CLASSIC ALBUMS. I got as far as thinking it's a word with "OU" (again with the OU?) but the other information led me nowhere. What do we think about "huge hit 1977 album"? Not the most elegant writing IMO

It's good to see Shakespeare making a return to Jeopardy! Thought Jaime would run the category, but Bianca stumped her
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

morbeedo wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:40 pm People, please! Toulouse was not that tough - I'm sorry, but not when spotted France + south and + OU 2x. I thought she'd get it as a crossword player, but she looked flummoxed
Scrabble player. You can't play TOULOUSE in Scrabble.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

seaborgium wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:59 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:40 pm People, please! Toulouse was not that tough - I'm sorry, but not when spotted France + south and + OU 2x. I thought she'd get it as a crossword player, but she looked flummoxed
Scrabble player. You can't play TOULOUSE in Scrabble.
Oh! Completely missed that!