Thursday, May 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, May 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bob78164 »

davey wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:59 pmReading the thread, I'm sensing a more widespread familiarity with the history of Andorra than I possess or would have guessed...Bishop of Urgell meant nothing to me...I guessed Switzerland...
Isn't it about time they threw off the yoke of the president of France...??
In my case not its history. Just its location. --Bob
JoshuaKreitzer
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaKreitzer »

Was "The Role in Common" clue of "Richard Roundtree, Samuel L. Jackson" a flawed clue? Both of them played people named John Shaft ... but not the same John Shaft. They played two different members of the same family with the same name -- as indicated by the fact that they appeared together in both the 2000 and 2019 Shaft films.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

I don't know what a Bernese Mountain Dog is, but it cost Kalee from playing in final for overthinking a clue. Sad to see the nerves get to the players - I'm sure they have better trivia chops than me. It seemed like Jamie was still nervous for her second game.

I'm OK with Steve's surrender bet on DD3. He doesn't know if the last two clues will play or not. Could he recover the onside kick, complete the Hail Mary and get the two point conversion? Or does he hope for a shot at one of the last two clues to get away from the tiebreaker and play Final Jeopardy no matter what? After the calzone filibuster, he had to feel like playing Final was his last chance for redemption.

I knew the country they wanted was one of those fake news principalities or whatever that are trivia staples. I knew it was the one in western Europe whose name I can never remember. I didn't know it actually bordered France/Spain. Thanks Sg for explaining the whole Bishop Urgell thing that everybody here seems to know about.

By now, Bill seems very place-holdery to me. Maybe it's because TIL (from somewhere on this board) that the season's tapings are over. I think the job will go to the biggest star that will take it and the opinion of 50,000 trivia nerds won't be a factor. I just hope it isn't anybody Kardashian related.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 am I knew the country they wanted was one of those fake news principalities or whatever that are trivia staples. I knew it was the one in western Europe whose name I can never remember. I didn't know it actually bordered France/Spain. Thanks Sg for explaining the whole Bishop Urgell thing that everybody here seems to know about.
I know I've heard that fact before, but can't say the Bishop of Urgell really triggered anything for me tonight. It was really the Charlemagne and "between two nations" bits that got it for me.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

JoshuaKreitzer wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:17 am Was "The Role in Common" clue of "Richard Roundtree, Samuel L. Jackson" a flawed clue? Both of them played people named John Shaft ... but not the same John Shaft. They played two different members of the same family with the same name -- as indicated by the fact that they appeared together in both the 2000 and 2019 Shaft films.
Agreed
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I will proudly say that I sent a screen grab of the Talking Heads clue to Chris Frantz, who put it on his Facebook timeline.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woppy T wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:43 am
JoshuaKreitzer wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:17 am Was "The Role in Common" clue of "Richard Roundtree, Samuel L. Jackson" a flawed clue? Both of them played people named John Shaft ... but not the same John Shaft. They played two different members of the same family with the same name -- as indicated by the fact that they appeared together in both the 2000 and 2019 Shaft films.
Agreed
They're still the 'same' Shaft from a character perspective. The closest equivalent I can come up with is if they asked for Quinto and Nimoy.
Plus Roundtree (1976) and Jackson's Shafts have more in common than Vikander and Jolie's Crofts...

At least they didn't ask us for anyone from the X-Men universe...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:52 am They're still the 'same' Shaft from a character perspective.
Nah
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:58 am I will proudly say that I sent a screen grab of the Talking Heads clue to Chris Frantz, who put it on his Facebook timeline.
I hope he was offended that Jamie referred to them as The Talking Heads.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:43 am
alietr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:58 am I will proudly say that I sent a screen grab of the Talking Heads clue to Chris Frantz, who put it on his Facebook timeline.
I hope he was offended that Jamie referred to them as The Talking Heads.
I certainly was.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

And that was shared to a Brian Eno FB group I’m a member of along with the tag “and it anagrams to”
Spoiler
Kings Lead Hat
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Robert K S wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:37 pm Discarded Monaco*, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg*, and Belgium* to arrive at the correct response. The correct response just sounded more like a princess name, or at least it has the suffix letter that is more commonly feminine in Romance languages. But apparently, the etymology of the country name is not derived from any princess, but from words meaning either "shrub-covered land", or "the forest", or "to walk".

*These are not, as it turns out, geographically between two countries.
mas3cf wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:45 pm "Bishop of Urgell" was all I needed to get there, but "between two countries + Charlemagne" was pretty strong TOM, I thought.
TIL about the "Bishop of Urgell" connection. Not knowing it led me to two of Robert's. Discarded Luxembourg and landed on Lichtenstein, as it was within the Carolingian Empire and is between two countries. I guess I can count it as a 50/50/100.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Fri May 07, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 am By now, Bill seems very place-holdery to me.
Good way to put it. My wife and agreed that he is as thoroughly bland and inoffensive a host as there's been. The blandness makes the show much less interesting.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 am By now, Bill seems very place-holdery to me. Maybe it's because TIL (from somewhere on this board) that the season's tapings are over. I think the job will go to the biggest star that will take it and the opinion of 50,000 trivia nerds won't be a factor. I just hope it isn't anybody Kardashian related.
So no Kaitlyn Jenner?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:09 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 am By now, Bill seems very place-holdery to me. Maybe it's because TIL (from somewhere on this board) that the season's tapings are over. I think the job will go to the biggest star that will take it and the opinion of 50,000 trivia nerds won't be a factor. I just hope it isn't anybody Kardashian related.
So no Kaitlyn Jenner?
Now that KJ is a political candidate, it would be a nightmare if she had hosted.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

floridagator wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:46 pm
So no Kaitlyn Jenner?
Now that KJ is a political candidate, it would be a nightmare if she had hosted.
Who is KJ? Ken Jennings? I assume you can't be talking about Jenner, whose initials are CJ.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was supposed to go to Andorra last April until CV. Easy FJ for me. Do the sub zero players always rejoin the panel at the end? It seemed odd.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:48 pm
So no Kaitlyn Jenner?
Who is KJ? Ken Jennings? I assume you can't be talking about Jenner, whose initials are CJ.
Thanks for the correction. My niece is named Kaitlyn so that is the spelling I am used to.

Perhaps with the Republican Jenner as a guest host, it would stop the complaints from right wingers saying the show has a liberal bias.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:48 pm
So no Kaitlyn Jenner?
I copied Bamaman's misspelling.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Johnblue wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:50 pm Easy FJ for me. Do the sub zero players always rejoin the panel at the end? It seemed odd.
It's been that way for a while. (The exactly zeroes do too.) In season 25, it began that they would play the short-handed FJ, announce the winner, show the sponsors' spots, then return to the credits chat with all three contestants there. In recent seasons, they haven't always had sponsors' spots between the game's end and the credits, so the eliminated player(s) will walk out to their in-game place right after the ending music starts. (For what it's worth, I can recall two players since then who missed out on FJ and didn't come back on stage, neither in a regular game. https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3309 https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4740)
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat May 08, 2021 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.