Thursday, May 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Plactus »

econgator wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:31 pm Pretty sure that is the worst game I have ever seen by the two new contestants.
Did you miss this one?
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
brick

Post by brick »

CyrusChan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:43 pm
brick wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:40 pm That game was painful to watch in parts. I'm going to console myself with a fresh, hot calzone.
You would want it heated, no? at least, in the oven.
Capital idea old chap!
brick

Post by brick »

Plactus wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:51 pm
econgator wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:31 pm Pretty sure that is the worst game I have ever seen by the two new contestants.
Did you miss this one?
Poor Kristin. Smiling. Trying to make it work.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I misunderstood the answer and thought they wanted the name of the song and badly misspelled the name of France’s national anthem.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

This FJ! was an instaget for me. For some reason a national anthem that obviously wasn't French that praises Charlemagne immediately made me think of The Song of Roland, which of course has its climax in the Pyrenees. Add in the Bishop of Urgell and WECIB?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Bass, 12-Letter Words, Tennessee, Potent History,
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: amphitheater, (pizza) ovens, polar bear/grizzly, Thunderbirds, Appalachians, helicopters, Cyrillic, Munich, lodestone, Holmes DD (9K)
FJ: What is Belgium? (figuring between France & Germany) :( Urgell doesn't ring a bell.
A bass category without Chris Squire? :o
That last DD bet was painful to hear :roll:
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

DBear wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:34 pm
A bass category without Chris Squire? :o
YESSS!!! Wait I mean NOOOOOO!!
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

It's often struck me how a well-coordinated pincer movement between San Marino and the Vatican might spell Arrivederci, Roma.

I thought stromboli made more sense than calzone.
I'm smart and I want respect.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I’m sorry was someone calling for me? I couldn’t hear over my yelling I’M BETTING IT ALL BILL! THE WHOLE DAMN THING!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

For anyone who doesn't know: Andorra is a co-principality, and it's not an inherited position; the co-princes are the president of France and the bishop of Urgell.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

This in general was one of the oddest games I have seen. Just very strange. The number of triple stumpers etc.

For final Jeopardy, the first one I’ve missed in a long time. Thinking what could it be. Charlemagne how does capital at Aix-la- Chapelle/Aachen. He is canonically a king of France and also canonically holy Roman emperor. His three sons divide the realm into what becomes France, Germany, and originally Lorraine. Had Lorraine been an independent country now that would’ve been the best answer between two other nations.
Luxembourg I thought for a moment but it’s not really between France and Germany and no connection to Charlemagne specifically also a dead she rather than a principality
I should’ve gone with Princess, principality, and Dora is a principality. And it is Co-ruled by the French president and by the bishop of Urgell. So that would have been enough to get it to me if I had remembered that factoid before I saw Andorra

I have never heard La Brabançonne and maybe Belgium is talking about being between the nations of France and the Netherlands, two imperial powers. So so many bishoprics in the country went with Belgium. Obviously wrong
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

dhkendall wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:07 pm I’m sorry was someone calling for me? I couldn’t hear over my yelling I’M BETTING IT ALL BILL! THE WHOLE DAMN THING!
I was thinking of you during this FJ. Oy, just oy. My wife looks at me and and asks “they get on... and not you?” I have no answers.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:55 pm It's done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7017

800-degree calzone :lol:
That does accurately describe a Hot Pocket...

Had Thunderbolts for the Air Force team...once I was ruled wrong realized I mixed two up

I'm somewhat surprised Urgell has only one other hit in the archive, though it was pretty recent:
#8166, aired 2020-02-24 AROUND THE WORLD $1,000 (Daily Double): The co-princes of this tiny country in the Pyrenees are the French president & the Bishop of Urgell
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

mas3cf wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:56 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:52 pm
Bob78164 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:47 pmI applied the 50-50-90 rule to go with Liechtenstein. Any reasonable way to know it was Andorra instead? --Bob
I mean, when you think of Charlemagne, do you really think of Switzerland and Austria? I mean, I don't.
This is where knowing too much can get you in trouble, because Charlemagne's empire did in fact encompass present-day Liechtenstein. What really pinned it was Bishop of Urgell.
Now that I've heard the clue read, the pronunciation of Urgell would have made it easy. I'm going to credit myself with a correct response in Saturday's poll. --Bob
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Rough watch all around. Enjoying an eight-straight FJ streak, though!

I think at DD3 knowing the scores and the time left you have to wager it all. Would’ve meant the rare solo solver, but you can’t assume you’ll get the DD right AND get another clue off AND ring in first AND get it right to prevent the runaway.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 4/4 on big clues. Educated guess on Andorra. Something that borders France and sits between two countries. I felt like it was a tough game while I was playing along but ended up doing ok.

I've burnt the inside of my mouth with a calzone so I'm sympathetic to that answer.

Was expecting liger to show up. Charlemagne's Napoleon's favorite animal.

12-letter words was tough for me. Got the DD but missed the others. Should have gotten a couple more at least.

I said "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" instead of Lisbeth Salander. I gave myself credit but I'm not sure if they'd count that or not.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Thunderbirds, tuberculosis, the Talking Heads, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, and table.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Of course after my second ever 5/5 last week, my wheels come off this week.

I shoulda had yesterday's. And today's. They were in my database. I just couldn't make the connections.

Psycheing myself out?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:07 pm I’m sorry was someone calling for me? I couldn’t hear over my yelling I’M BETTING IT ALL BILL! THE WHOLE DAMN THING!
I figured this FJ might elicit a rare David Kendall appearance! :lol:
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:55 pm It's done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7017

800-degree calzone :lol:
Is that degrees F or degrees C? Not that it would make any defference. (800 C is 1472 F, if the calculator in my head is right.)
OCSam
davey

Post by davey »

Reading the thread, I'm sensing a more widespread familiarity with the history of Andorra than I possess or would have guessed...Bishop of Urgell meant nothing to me...I guessed Switzerland...
Isn't it about time they threw off the yoke of the president of France...??