Wednesday, May 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Plactus »

Volante wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:49 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:43 pm 14th president should not stump all the players. :shock:
That one definitely ...poked? stung? needled? What's the synonym I'm trying to think of here...
No, no, Polk was 11. ;)

I immediately said the right answer, but off a couple misses, I started to wonder if I'd gotten the right one between him and Hayes.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I guess I should have known that FJ since I live in Seattle, but I didn't. I put down "Future" first and then changed it to "21st Century." My wife got it, though.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I won't have time to watch the ep so I played FJ from the archive. It seems like a clunker of a game, so I can use the extra 20 minutes spamming this board.
FJ was an Instaget for me, although I am not crazy about the term "era". It did delimit the clue to some kind of time unit, so they must have been concerned about "race". What era will come after the space age? And this clue phrasing is the poster child for demonstrating that the clues are really not answers but are strangled word salads. I don't think I've answered a question with "the this..", or "the that..."

I suspect Dr. Oz and Bill W will compete for the cellar. I have to give it to Bill I think. My main issue with Oz was his authoritarian delivery.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

So apparently the '62 World's Fair was called the "Century 21 Exposition" so my answer had some justification.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_21_Exposition

I'm a member of the Seattle Vintage Facebook group and someone posted this FJ clue yesterday. Tons of people answered 21st Century. I think the clue is correct, but it is somewhat flawed. It's probably one of those where knowing too much might hurt you.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu May 13, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Thankful I was on the Space Needle's Wiki page the other day randomly, although I think I would've gotten to this FJ solve either way. Looked like Jeff was rattled by the DD miss and then ran out of runway to build back up. Low Coryats today.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Rosetta Stone as a bottom-row clue? I'd probably put it at the top.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:02 am FJ was an Instaget for me, although I am not crazy about the term "era". It did delimit the clue to some kind of time unit, so they must have been concerned about "race". What era will come after the space age?
Information Age, and we're in it now.
(Or, maybe not 'after', but at least concurrent... these are more guidelines than rules... and only slightly less made up than National Crouton Day)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

Would just "space" cut it? Clue asked for the era. Not a perfectly worded clue, for sure.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

merica wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:29 am Would just "space" cut it? Clue asked for the era. Not a perfectly worded clue, for sure.
Not adequate in my book. That's not an era. And it was pinned to the fair's theme.
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:40 am
merica wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:29 am Would just "space" cut it? Clue asked for the era. Not a perfectly worded clue, for sure.
Not adequate in my book. That's not an era. And it was pinned to the fair's theme.
I agree, but oddly, the first google hit (of only 6!) for the phrase "man in the space era" leads to a tag on memorabilia from the Seattle World's Fair.
I don't see the phrase on the postcards themselves, though, so...

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/99360735499688153/
yclept

Post by yclept »

Jeff was one of the more...agitated contestants that we have seen in recent times. Thing is, I am shocked we don’t see more of it. Players who have dabbled in trivia their entire lives running into a string of frustrating wrong answers. I may be throwing my buzzer if I was on that stage ;)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

yclept wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:49 pm Jeff was one of the more...agitated contestants that we have seen in recent times. Thing is, I am shocked we don’t see more of it. Players who have dabbled in trivia their entire lives running into a string of frustrating wrong answers. I may be throwing my buzzer if I was on that stage ;)
That's why contestants are read the Barbara Lowe Riot Act before taping.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

Volante wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:45 pmI know it doesn't make sense in context, but if it's live captioning or (more likely) speech-to-text, context is irrelevant.
It's neither. It's captioned by a human, in advance.

No excuse. Context is everything in Jeopardy. And whoever did the captioning for years knew that. This new person sucks.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

astrohip wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:07 pm
Volante wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:45 pmI know it doesn't make sense in context, but if it's live captioning or (more likely) speech-to-text, context is irrelevant.
It's neither. It's captioned by a human, in advance.

No excuse. Context is everything in Jeopardy. And whoever did the captioning for years knew that. This new person sucks.
I mean...with all the issues reported, are we, in fact, still sure there's a human being doing it in advance now?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

And how did they accept showerhead?

The Worst Part of Waking Up
, for $600
A new mixing valve in this could be the key to preventing scalding due to an ill-timed toilet flush

The contestant answered showerhead. There are no valves in a showerhead. The valve is behind the handle , or faucet controls.

I kept waiting for a correction on that one. I'm guessing the card read "shower", BW heard enough to say ok, and kept moving.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

Volante wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:24 pmI mean...with all the issues reported, are we, in fact, still sure there's a human being doing it in advance now?
Yes. I watch enough TV, all with captions, to recognize the various captioning methods--live, speech to text, etc. This is definitely done by a human, in advance.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

astrohip wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:30 pm And how did they accept showerhead?

, for $600
A new mixing valve in this could be the key to preventing scalding due to an ill-timed toilet flush

The contestant answered showerhead. There are no valves in a showerhead. The valve is behind the handle , or faucet controls.

I kept waiting for a correction on that one. I'm guessing the card read "shower", BW heard enough to say ok, and kept moving.
There's also a mixing valve in a sink, at least a kitchen sink, and that's what I said.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

astrohip wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:31 pm
Volante wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:24 pmI mean...with all the issues reported, are we, in fact, still sure there's a human being doing it in advance now?
Yes. I watch enough TV, all with captions, to recognize the various captioning methods--live, speech to text, etc. This is definitely done by a human, in advance.
I wonder if the captioner only has access to the audio - without the photograph, if you misinterpret the word there's nothing to cue you about the error. (I believe a tuba, for example, has 5 valves.) Of course, this means you misheard the word twice, but since I turn on a lot of captioning (sometimes they're helpful, other times I enjoy catching the mistakes, to a shameful extent...), this doesn't surprise me. As others have said, the J! captioning used to be exceptional, now it's at best like most shows...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

astrohip wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:30 pm And how did they accept showerhead?

, for $600

I went back and listened to it. He said "shower" .... pause ... "head". So if shower was correct, he should have been ruled correct (and he should have been even if that wasn't the intended answer).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Complete blank screen on FJ! for me.