Wednesday, May 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD’S FAIRS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The theme of Seattle’s 1962 World’s Fair was "Man in the" this era

Jeff Mitchum: 3200+3195=6395
Amanda Ganske: 11400+2600=14000 (New Champ)
Dave Friedlander: 6600-6000=600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Space Age (Dave – Modern Era)

Daily Doubles
Jeff: 5600-3600
Jeff: 7600-4000
Amanda: 12800-1000

Coryats
Jeff: 10800
Amanda: 12400
Dave: 6600

Combined: 29,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jeff: 4000
Amanda: 4000
Dave: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

14th president should not stump all the players. :shock:

Jeff leaves 1/4 on DDs and it's tough to stick around hitting 25% on those. If Jeff solved DD2 and nothing else changed then he would have trailed 11400 to 11200. Would Amanda have bet the necessary $11K + $1? Perhaps we'll get a better answer tomorrow.

Jeff seemed a little more huffy and reactive about things not going his way than is usual although I've seen some contestants much more intense with a game going down the tubes.

The FJ! category had my precalls all over the place with St. Louis, Paris, Knoxville, Belgium (was thinking Brussels was the place though not sure), Montreal and Seattle where I added 1962. At no point did I recall New York or San Francisco. :oops:

The FJ! clue was was there to solve it unless someone went astray with "Race" instead of the correct ending.

It's worth a look to check out cities, years, and themes here at the chart a little ways down: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_fair

More credit to Juliet's run as with her gone the game got a little worse once again after three pretty good episodes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hump day is in: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7021

No, CCer, a tambourine does not have valves. :lol:
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:13 pmNo, CCer, a tambourine does not have valves. :lol:
Just coming here to post that. As someone who watches exclusively with captions, I tried to quickly figure out if this was a trick question. "Uh... zero?"

There have been comments in this forum lately about how poor the captions have become. Weight for wait, etc. But this is the first time they would have cost me the clue.

The producers need to step up. It's ridiculous that a show that prides itself on intelligence & knowledge allows mistakes like this.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

astrohip wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:09 pm The producers need to step up. It's ridiculous that a show that prides itself on intelligence & knowledge allows mistakes like this.
May I propose a new thread where we memorialize captioning errors so that when we learn who is responsible for these atrocities they can be sent a sternly worded but well-documented letter?
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

I don't like stupid answers and missed the 14th. oh well.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Spell Good, Napoleon, American History
DDs: :D :D :( (Hinduism)
trash: ou, ambulance DD, Weekend Edition, Wisconsin DD, Pierce, Solomon, Finland, Bolivia (9400)
FJ: What is Future? :x (thinking of the Space Needle)
Had Georgia for Armenia. :|
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

The "valve" CC error today was probably the most egregious one recently, because it happened twice. And there have been a lot to choose from. What is going on with the captions?

Went with "Space Race." Gah.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I said "space era." I don't think that cuts it.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I had the game partly spoiled for me so I just went online to glance at Final and failed to RTFQ. I missed "era" and said "needle".
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

The revolving door continues. Easy FJ tonight.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:43 pm 14th president should not stump all the players. :shock:
Jeff was within two with Taylor. Not so bad.

So it's not John "Le-ZHEN", huh? Good to know.

Georgia is small for a country, but large for a transcaucasian country. It's heavily Christian but not so overwhelmingly as Armenia. And adopted Christianity almost as early. Well, it was the bottom row clue.

Surprised no one went for "Cenozoic era" in Final.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

"Valves" is a terrible error, but I admit that's what I thought BW said too, at first. Kept me from getting the clue.
World's Fairs are supposed to be unifying events, so not much chance "Space Race" would be a theme. I spent about :15 trying to remember Holocene - Anthropocene being too recently coined - before the most likely "Age" came to mind. The Space Needle never entered my thinking, though...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:13 pm No, CCer, a tambourine does not have valves. :lol:
Did they get Amis right? When that clue played, I imagined a closed captioning error where they spell it Amos.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

40R. 4/4 on big clues. Wrote down "The Atomic Age" but then crossed out atomic and wrote space.

Also missed Armenia and said Georgia.

I did not realize the "Mouf" clue was connected to camouflage until I saw it written down.

Did not know that there are mixing vowels in showerheads. I said hot water heater.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are attar, mortgage, hold music, tartar, and ouevre.

Lots of new stuff to learn this game.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:43 pm 14th president should not stump all the players. :shock:
That one definitely ...poked? stung? needled? What's the synonym I'm trying to think of here...
davey wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:31 pm "Valves" is a terrible error, but I admit that's what I thought BW said too, at first. Kept me from getting the clue.
Ditto; the captioner was most definitely not at fault on that one. Valve is what I first heard too.

Amused by that Solomon TS...especially since he was namedropped, what, only a half hour prior?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:49 pm
davey wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:31 pm "Valves" is a terrible error, but I admit that's what I thought BW said too, at first. Kept me from getting the clue.
Ditto; the captioner was most definitely not at fault on that one. Valve is what I first heard too.
But "valves" makes no sense in context, as I soon realized The closed captioner has a moment to reconsider. So I'd say there's fault.
It didn't help that there was a "valve" earlier in the game. (I said "shower" on that and might not have thought to add "...head.")
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:35 pm
Volante wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:49 pm
But "valves" makes no sense in context, as I soon realized The closed captioner has a moment to reconsider. So I'd say there's fault.
It didn't help that there was a "valve" earlier in the game. (I said "shower" on that and might not have thought to add "...head.")
I know it doesn't make sense in context, but if it's live captioning or (more likely) speech-to-text, context is irrelevant.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)