Thursday, May 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Thursday, May 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

Matched the wrong guess of 'six beers'. Hope springs eternal.

Brain: "Candle light? Candle light? Candle light? Candle light?" Mouth: "Natural light!"

Having two movie categories in the J! round was pretty sweet though
Spoiler
Se7en
Amazingly, got skunked on the two letter names cat. 4 clams and a neg with Ed O'Neill (which, that's kinda baity if you don't watch the show :lol: )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

48R. 3/4 on big clues. Guessed on Holland but managed to get it. Missed FJ. I wrote "The Places You'll Go" for FJ. I've seen the factoid before but couldn't remember if "Oh" was in the title or just the line. I've never hit 50R in a regular game but I'm getting closer. I'll be excited when I finally do it.

Almost went 15/15 before the first commercial break but I missed the last clue and said "Pipers three" instead of "Fiddlers three". The rhyme has him calling for his pipe, his bowl, and his fiddlers three. Mixed them up.

Only went 1/5 in 2-LETTER FIRST NAMES. Tough category for me.

I'm not sure if it's correct to call a quantum computer a type of supercomputer. It looks like a quantum computer is one that uses quantum principles and a supercomputer is one that has good performance relative to other computers. Do all quantum computers necessarily have good performance?

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Equifax, McGovern, Ed Bradley, Ty Burrell, and Aida/Radames. And Millard Fillmore.

I really misunderstood the Georges de La Tour clue about him being the master of candlelight. My first thought about the clue was something like stage lights and he was doing light shows for performances. I re-read the clue and noted the "17th century" part and had no answer. When they called him the master of candlelight I thought he was doing stage performances or something with candles and thought that was ridiculous. He was a painter and did chiaroscuro paintings.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Volante wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:41 pm Amazingly, got skunked on the two letter names cat. 4 clams and a neg with Ed O'Neill (which, that's kinda baity if you don't watch the show :lol: )
When did Ed O'Neill play a lovable character? Lovably grumpy doesn't count I guess.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I'm sure I've read this fact about the FJ book, but it didn't make much of an impression...So I was looking for something celebrating the outdoors. I thought of And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street (his first book, and one of those recently withdrawn), but ended up with Horton Hears a Who... :oops:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

All I could come up with for FJ was "Green Eggs and Ham." I figured maybe people buy it in Spring because of the association of Easter and ham (I know it's a stretch!).

Let me just say I wouldn't have been too happy getting a kids' books as a graduation gift unless it also had some cold hard cash tucked inside. :lol:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

For a bit, I thought Susan had pulled a Clavin based on 2X+ on Amanda's score. I thought Amanda was in second, not third, so all is copacetic.

I went with Lorax as being some of his latest work, as far as I knew. I've heard of the answer as a phrase, but didn't know it was a book or who wrote it.

Who wants to start a petition to make Bill the permanent host? Absolutely no acknowledgment of the quotation marks for "light".
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:48 pmI'm not sure if it's correct to call a quantum computer a type of supercomputer. It looks like a quantum computer is one that uses quantum principles and a supercomputer is one that has good performance relative to other computers. Do all quantum computers necessarily have good performance?
Yes. They all will have (have?) computation speeds that are orders of magnitude greater than today's supercomputers.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:35 am
MattKnowles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:48 pmI'm not sure if it's correct to call a quantum computer a type of supercomputer. It looks like a quantum computer is one that uses quantum principles and a supercomputer is one that has good performance relative to other computers. Do all quantum computers necessarily have good performance?
Yes. They all will have (have?) computation speeds that are orders of magnitude greater than today's supercomputers.
Will. I'd say the benchmark would be how large a number they can factor with Shor's algorithm... and so far that number is 21.
That we're even able to do that much, though, is pretty super. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alietr wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:35 am
Also, there are serious implications concerning encryption, both good and bad.
OCSam
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

astrohip wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:42 pm Today's most egregious captioning error:

The Tunnel ($400):

From Paris' Gare du Nord you can catch a train through this 31-mile engineering marvel

Obviously The Chunnel, I knew it, you knew it, the contestant knew it. But the captioner just said "What is a tunnel?" :shock:

And here's a weird thing: During FJ, watch when they go from the contestant on the left (ultimate winner), to the guy in the middle. His answer and wager were already displayed on his screen, before BW even got to him. :?: :?:
I think I'd have to call out "Phil Whitaker" as a slightly more egregious captioning error, though they're both pretty awful.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Not too long ago, I saw "Piss Panic" show up on a caption on one of the muted TVs at my workplace. I believe it was during a live sporting event; nonetheless, that's unacceptable.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:08 pm Not too long ago, I saw "Piss Panic" show up on a caption on one of the muted TVs at my workplace. I believe it was during a live sporting event; nonetheless, that's unacceptable.
Are you sure there wasn't an actual piss panic occurring?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:08 pm Not too long ago, I saw "Piss Panic" show up on a caption on one of the muted TVs at my workplace. I believe it was during a live sporting event; nonetheless, that's unacceptable.
Just wait until you hit your 70s ...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Matt posted on Reddit that his sister appeared on the episode involving the viral Gangsta's Paradise clue. Sure enough, there was a Lisa McAndrews in that game:

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5870
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

This is one of those FJ outcomes where you just hope the leader solves it and moots the controversy. Alas. That is a brutal way to lose a game but the right decision. While solving at home I did consider how hard it would be to write it all if you got there late.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 pm 80% of J! doesn't need captioning.
I think if you were to crunch the numbers, you'd be surprised. It's more like 15-20%.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:33 pm
econgator wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 pm 80% of J! doesn't need captioning.
I think if you were to crunch the numbers, you'd be surprised. It's more like 15-20%.
The only part that wouldn’t need captioning is when the answers are displayed on the screen. The players’ responses, comments from the guest host, Clue Crew videos, interviews, Johnny’s introductions, sponsor plugs, and probably something I am forgetting are all out of reach for hard of hearing viewers.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

ACW wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:39 pm they should also require the comma and exclamation point.
How do you pronounce a comma and an exclamation point?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

astrohip wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:42 pm During FJ, watch when they go from the contestant on the left (ultimate winner), to the guy in the middle. His answer and wager were already displayed on his screen, before BW even got to him. :?: :?:
Obvious edit indicating some taping pause while the judges got involved. I haven't seen this particular quirk in many years.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:00 pm
astrohip wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:42 pm During FJ, watch when they go from the contestant on the left (ultimate winner), to the guy in the middle. His answer and wager were already displayed on his screen, before BW even got to him. :?: :?:
Obvious edit indicating some taping pause while the judges got involved. I haven't seen this particular quirk in many years.
It must have been a glitch at the local station. Didn't happen on my TV.