Friday, May 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Friday, May 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:08 pm On The Colbert Report once, Stephen Colbert had a segment about celebrity couples where he focused on Pitt/Jolie, Affleck/Garner, and Macy/Huffman as examples to follow in "Stephen's Laws of Love." Law #1 was to pair up with "someone whose name can be merged with yours to form a marketable nickname, just like Brangelina, Bennifer 2, or... Filliam H. Muffman." So we have a contemporary use of "Bennifer," albeit with a suffix, to refer to Ben Affleck's second Jennifer coupling. (And yes, this is from a comedy show and therefore perhaps shouldn't be taken seriously, but throughout the segment Jolie/Pitt and Affleck/Garner are used as apparently factual setups for an absurd Macy/Huffman punchline.)
I'm going to revise my position. This got me thinking about time windows and I reran my searches in the news section with a 2005-2015 filter (dumb mistake/oversight to include this month...that's on me). Lopez-era is still (overwhelmingly) the intended response, but there's enough Garner-era Bennifers out there that, yes, it counts.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:08 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:08 pm On The Colbert Report once, Stephen Colbert had a segment about celebrity couples where he focused on Pitt/Jolie, Affleck/Garner, and Macy/Huffman as examples to follow in "Stephen's Laws of Love." Law #1 was to pair up with "someone whose name can be merged with yours to form a marketable nickname, just like Brangelina, Bennifer 2, or... Filliam H. Muffman." So we have a contemporary use of "Bennifer," albeit with a suffix, to refer to Ben Affleck's second Jennifer coupling. (And yes, this is from a comedy show and therefore perhaps shouldn't be taken seriously, but throughout the segment Jolie/Pitt and Affleck/Garner are used as apparently factual setups for an absurd Macy/Huffman punchline.)
I'm going to revise my position. This got me thinking about time windows and I reran my searches in the news section with a 2005-2015 filter (dumb mistake/oversight to include this month...that's on me). Lopez-era is still (overwhelmingly) the intended response, but there's enough Garner-era Bennifers out there that, yes, it counts.
I think they'd have to count it. I mean Affleck and Garner were married. How do you rule against it even if "Bennifer" was overwhelmingly used for Affleck and Lopez?

I did hear that they are allegedly back together. I'm really not entirely convinced that all of J-Lo's relationships aren't primarily for publicity.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:57 pm I did hear that they are allegedly back together. I'm really not entirely convinced that all of J-Lo's relationships aren't primarily for publicity.
Now you’ve blown the lid off this entire conspiracy! Better watch your back!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:18 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:57 pm I did hear that they are allegedly back together. I'm really not entirely convinced that all of J-Lo's relationships aren't primarily for publicity.
Is A-Rod going to hit me with a baseball bat?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:41 pm
Not if you take a lesson from his final season -- just pretend to be a curve ball.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:47 pm 60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Hurray! He's caught up!
OCSam
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:04 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:41 pm
Not if you take a lesson from his final season -- just pretend to be a curve ball.
Oof...
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:57 pm I think they'd have to count it. I mean Affleck and Garner were married. How do you rule against it even if "Bennifer" was overwhelmingly used for Affleck and Lopez?
That, plus the fact that Affleck/Garner would be one hell of a neg for a $200 clue, is what I was thinking.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

strong performance from the fourth podium. DD and FJ were simple IMO.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:56 pm I said "jury people" instead of jurors. I'm counting it.
'I suppose they are the jurors.' She said this last word two or three times over to herself, being rather proud of it: for she thought, and rightly too, that very few little girls of her age knew the meaning of it at all. However, 'jury-men' would have done just as well.

And jury people, no doubt, today. That was from 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland', though not the annotated Alice, because I'm done with crutches.
I'm smart and I want respect.