Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:55 pm
StevenH wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:41 am For the Driving Miss Daisy question I knew it was a southern city, so naturally I had Atlanta under consideration. But I went with Savannah.
Same here. My recollection of the movie is the scenery being more rural than how I'd picture Atlanta. I also considered New Orleans due to the "Parade" reference.

I also missed dogs. None of the names listed were familiar to me.
I only knew one: Tock. And not a good starting point if you're looking for something "distinctive" :lol:
I guess the lack of clocks as characters in general encouraged me to keep it simple which paid off for the win
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:21 pm
StevenH wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:41 am For the Driving Miss Daisy question I knew it was a southern city, so naturally I had Atlanta under consideration. But I went with Savannah.
Same here. My recollection of the movie is the scenery being more rural than how I'd picture Atlanta. I also considered New Orleans due to the "Parade" reference.

I only knew one: Tock. And not a good starting point if you're looking for something "distinctive" :lol:
I guess the lack of clocks as characters in general encouraged me to keep it simple which paid off for the win
same starting point for me, but went with clocks figuring it was a short list, and one of the others could be from something like Beauty and the Beast.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Volante wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:21 pm

So pissed I missed it. I had dogs originally then convinced myself that Tock was the crocodile from Peter Pan. To make things worse, I loved the Phantom Tollbooth.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I saw Driving Miss Daisy and recall a scene where they are going somewhere and Morgan Freeman says that is the first time in his life he had ever left Georgia. They are in Alabama but get pulled over by a state trooper wearing a Georgia patch.

I haven’t enjoyed the private rundle as much as I thought. Doing defense twice (and having to switch between pages) is a bit of a chore. I still don’t totally grasp the scoring system so after playing the normal way the first two days I switched to using a random number generator to assign defense. This will be my last season in the private rundle. I have one season left after this at the higher level so I will play if you are desperate to get an even number but that will be it. Nothing personal, it just isn’t for me.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:36 pm I saw Driving Miss Daisy and recall a scene where they are going somewhere and Morgan Freeman says that is the first time in his life he had ever left Georgia. They are in Alabama but get pulled over by a state trooper wearing a Georgia patch.

I haven’t enjoyed the private rundle as much as I thought. Doing defense twice (and having to switch between pages) is a bit of a chore. I still don’t totally grasp the scoring system so after playing the normal way the first two days I switched to using a random number generator to assign defense. This will be my last season in the private rundle. I have one season left after this at the higher level so I will play if you are desperate to get an even number but that will be it. Nothing personal, it just isn’t for me.
I agree with the double defense becoming a chore sometimes. I take the shortcut in MiniLeagues of 012321 normally. In our private matches I mostly mirror the regular defense except for watching where to spot the 3's and making sure I never ever give ClassicRoadster a 3 for a sports question :lol:. The main attraction to the private rundle is the common bond of the board, where we can commiserate about the questions and thought processes. It can't possibly be perfectly competitive and inclusive with the broad range of brainiacs here.

Thanks for giving it a shot and I appreciate the offer to round us out so we don't leave an odd man out in LL90. We'll see how it stands at deadline minus one day. JBoardies are notorious procrastinators I have found :roll: .

We currently have players from A, B, C, D, and E rundles, so it's a little hard to talk smack about our mis-matches, even as asymmetric warfare. Ergo the attempt to spice it up with shout-outs for singleton gets and this chaotic attempt to play dysfunction-ally. I still plan to have open enrollment and everybody can come and make their own fun. If it disintegrates back to ClassicRoadster and myself, I'll try to match my 10-14-1 record of LL84 to get the silver medal. He has owned me ever since :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Well..that was a little more difficult that just naming "Super League" but I -did- say it'd make LL canon! :lol:
Also, damn good clue for the big boat.

BWA attempt: something found in an oven? "Abun"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:55 am Also, damn good clue for the big boat.
What clue?
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:02 am
Volante wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:55 am Also, damn good clue for the big boat.
What clue?
Well, clue, question...I just liked all of it
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Got my second Buckner win of the season 5(2)-4(4) yesterday. For some reason, I got 2 on the sports question (really? Check my stats) and I recently learned in OQL that Timbuktu is in Mali. All the others got a huh? from me. I did consider Maersk for the ship one but never knew the name of the ship that got stuck in the canal. I'm 2-2-1 in B Rundle, with two Buckner's... Only way I have a chance to survive I think.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

There were three six-packs in my rundle yesterday, and I had one of them! Yay!

So did my opponent! Boo!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

classicroadster wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:38 pm Got my second Buckner win of the season 5(2)-4(4) yesterday.
Dang! I haven't had one in 28 seasons.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Somehow I'm in fourth in D Taiga d2 with a 4-1 start and 15 TCA. The top 7 spots are all ex-C and even ex-B players and they will soon have me in their taillights.

This first week has been tough for the rest of the twelvefootclan, I hope they rebound to form soon. It's not the win/lose thing, it is just a drain to miss gettable questions.

Bizarro update:
(I tried spoiling and graphic wouldn't show. Will figure out later)
So far, the longest streak for assigning 3's is three games :o . It would be easier in a room full of B and C players of course, but I think giving out 20 for the season would be pretty hard to do.

I've played around with the stats a little, no guarantee that there will be follow-ups, but here's week 1, excluding opt-outs (I think) :

mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

morbeedo wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:44 pm Unsurprising quote from Thorsten in the New Yorker article: “I get very little unsolicited positive feedback during the season.”
This is my 20th LL season and I, for one, have always been amazed at how well LL is run and how brilliant many of Thorsten's questions are. So I sent him some unsolicited positive feedback telling him so. He was generous enough to thank me. Among the other interesting things in the article were Thorsten's statements that it takes him 20 to 30 hours to write a season's worth of questions and it takes him less than an hour, aided by a computer program, to score each day's matches. All I can say is WOW!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mrparadise wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:43 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:44 pm Unsurprising quote from Thorsten in the New Yorker article: “I get very little unsolicited positive feedback during the season.”
This is my 20th LL season and I, for one, have always been amazed at how well LL is run and how brilliant many of Thorsten's questions are. So I sent him some unsolicited positive feedback telling him so. He was generous enough to thank me. Among the other interesting things in the article were Thorsten's statements that it takes him 20 to 30 hours to write a season's worth of questions and it takes him less than an hour, aided by a computer program, to score each day's matches. All I can say is WOW!
I was going to circle back to this and mention the same thing - He writes a clue in ten minutes on average :o :o :o And not just a one dimensional question, but a layered clue that is almost always pinned perfectly (Olds/Oldsmobile being a recent exception in my favor :)). I'm glad you took the initiative to contact TI. I intend to myself after the surge from the article subsides.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Who knew Syngman Rhee was married to a European woman? Not me! (Also, my geography about what countries are near each other is pretty good, but my conception of 5,000 miles is way off, so I didn't get the MCWA for that one.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:13 am Who knew Syngman Rhee was married to a European woman? Not me! (Also, my geography about what countries are near each other is pretty good, but my conception of 5,000 miles is way off, so I didn't get the MCWA for that one.)
I knew the Philippines gained independence in 1948. I knew Ferdinand Marcos moved to Hawaii after he was ousted so I figured the guy before him must have gone there as well.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

1960 is when a lot of African countries got their independence, and I knew that Tanzania was once German East Africa, so I thought the German name was a hint for that, even if she was Austrian.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Here I was thinking I was so clever to come up with String Theory without knowing the band...so close (physics-ally, at least...)
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:13 am Who knew Syngman Rhee was married to a European woman? Not me! (Also, my geography about what countries are near each other is pretty good, but my conception of 5,000 miles is way off, so I didn't get the MCWA for that one.)
I did not. I also did not know there was a thing called the April Revolution, which happened in 1960.

What I did know, probably from some long-ago quizbowl question, was that Syngman Rhee lived in exile in Hawaii. So I got this one right, despite basically connecting with only one word in the entire question.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I went through lots of countries mentally for that question yesterday. I figured it was most likely somewhere in East Asia. Ended up putting down Malaysia. Ended up with a 6(5)-6(5) tie.