Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Volante »

Just noticed...for the elements question the other day, opponent gave me a 2 for it.
I had the answer spoiled in my bio!!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm terrible at film but did make the connection on yesterday's question. But I couldn't remember if the postman knocks twice or if he rings twice... and got it wrong. Cost me what would have been a tie.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:22 am I'm terrible at film but did make the connection on yesterday's question. But I couldn't remember if the postman knocks twice or if he rings twice... and got it wrong. Cost me what would have been a tie.
oh no! I thought the film in question was Water World, so I put 'The World Under Water' as a wag lol

Worst MD of the season so far with just 1 right - Calamity Jane. I should have got the 80s music question arggh
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

I had no idea on the film question, but I thought of Waterworld too....so I put "Romeo and Juliet 2: Waterworld." Star-crossed, ill-fated lovers and all....
Volante

Post by Volante »

ouachiouat wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:54 pm I had no idea on the film question, but I thought of Waterworld too....so I put "Romeo and Juliet 2: Waterworld." Star-crossed, ill-fated lovers and all....
That was titled 'Titanic'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:51 am
Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:22 am I'm terrible at film but did make the connection on yesterday's question. But I couldn't remember if the postman knocks twice or if he rings twice... and got it wrong. Cost me what would have been a tie.
oh no! I thought the film in question was Water World, so I put 'The World Under Water' as a wag lol
Blue Water World for me.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Waterfall at the End of the World for me
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

My career 9(6) percentage is currently 9.6% I think that's neat.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:54 pm My career 9(6) percentage is currently 9.6% I think that's neat.
Nice! I'm at 2.86%, which is almost 3(0.96) ...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I’m at .43%. 🙄
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Just for fun, I checked Schlie's and he's at ... go ahead, guess....
Spoiler
60.3% (518/859)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm a D rundler. I'm not supposed to drink the beer. (Though I did once.)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

morbeedo wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:44 pm Unsurprising quote from Thorsten in the New Yorker article: “I get very little unsolicited positive feedback during the season.”
I'll offer some positive, if indirect, feedback: nine days into this season, not once have I found myself timed out of a session and my answers all disappeared. I always have found this extremely frustrating, so if it is indeed but a thing of the past, that's a very welcome improvement.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Lefty wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:59 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:44 pm Unsurprising quote from Thorsten in the New Yorker article: “I get very little unsolicited positive feedback during the season.”
I'll offer some positive, if indirect, feedback: nine days into this season, not once have I found myself timed out of a session and my answers all disappeared. I always have found this extremely frustrating, so if it is indeed but a thing of the past, that's a very welcome improvement.
How do you get timed out? I occasionally leave it up partly filled out all day, and have never run into that.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ok, after the sting of 0(1) on MD9, I catapulted myself to 9(6) on MD10

Wasn’t sure about a few questions at first, but sat with them for a bit, got Munchkins from the DD angle, then Marco Polo from the year and the place, then Shia (WECIB), then sat with the damn art question until landing on graffiti- read the question a few times to make sure I didn’t mess up SGRAFFITO (never heard of it!)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Terrible when two correct answers pop into my head and I don’t use them.

With Dunkin going private and dropping donuts from their name in the past year, and thinking Oz came later than 1900; I moved away from Munchkin and thought maybe Fuddruckers...hey, there’s two Ds.

Also thought of graffiti, but didn’t believe there could be a leading S.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

morbeedo wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:43 am Ok, after the sting of 0(1) on MD9, I catapulted myself to 9(6) on MD10

Wasn’t sure about a few questions at first, but sat with them for a bit, got Munchkins from the DD angle, then Marco Polo from the year and the place, then Shia (WECIB), then sat with the damn art question until landing on graffiti- read the question a few times to make sure I didn’t mess up SGRAFFITO (never heard of it!)
Ditto for me...I put graffiti as an Italian sounding wag for something nowhere near gold leaf scraping...couldn't imagine there was a word sgraffito and was pleased when I saw it was right. As a new Englander, DD means Dunkin donuts and it wasn't a stretch to get to munchkin. I went with Sunni but kinda the same wecib thinking. Somehow I'm in 12th place in a B Rundle with the second fewest TCA...won't last long I don't think.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:53 am With Dunkin going private and dropping donuts from their name in the past year, and thinking Oz came later than 1900; I moved away from Munchkin and thought maybe Fuddruckers...hey, there’s two Ds.
Despite the fact that I literally live next door to a Dunkin, I didn't think of them. I went a in different direction with the double-D's ...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I didn't make the Dunkin' Donuts connection at all as it's not a business I frequent and didn't know they had a Munchkins on their menu. After thinking about it for 20-30 minutes, I happened upon the correct book as I remembered the discussion from this recent FJ where somebody mentioned that 1900 is a J! Pavlov for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6112&start=20

Once I had the book, it was a slam dunk from there. That and coming up with Sgraffito took some of the sting out of something I've simply never heard of (Stepford Wives) pulling 80%.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Two beers yesterday and I got stuck against one of them... :roll:

Munchkin backfired on me. "Oh, that's trademarked! ...but in the singular..." Well, let's wag snicker and hope Through the Looking Glass was printed later...

*sigh*