Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by twelvefootboy »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:10 am
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:07 am I thought Carver would play at 90%, minimum, due to the mention of peanuts, owing to the popular misconception that he invented peanut butter.
That question had two competing Pavlovs:

peanuts -> Carver
Tuskegee -> Booker T. Washington

As soon as I saw peanuts, I thought Carver, but I'll admit, the Tuskegee piece had me doubting myself.
The National Monument for GWC is nearby to me in Diamond, Missouri, and we all (Boomers and later) made school field trips there. Even with that, I had residual doubt from the Tuskegee part, but it was cancelled by the sweet potato reference. Great move by TI to pin it as cleanly as possible.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:46 am
I hate to get all TPHy, but there are some things I don't care to learn. But I will just accept the fact that I don't know them. Life's too short.
+1. I am more than happy to get those wrong every single time.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought it was some sort of current events question since it said they lived in that town until recently. Wondered if there was some big story about them being forced to move that I missed. Looked them up afterwards and quit caring after seeing they are Tic Toc stars.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I was thinking it was either current events or literature, as I could see that sentence written in a novel or something.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:57 pm For estate car I switched from motorhome to moving van, while considering hearse.
I think a motorhome is also called a motorhome in the UK, however they call trailers caravans.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Grey Davis blamed Enron for his failure & recall as CA governor? Odd.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Johnblue wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:03 am Grey Davis blamed Enron for his failure & recall as CA governor? Odd.
But there's truth to it. During the 2000-2001 energy crisis, we had statewide rolling blackouts due to how much Enron was charging for energy (thanks to the energy deregulation bill signed in by Pete Wilson). So in an attempt to balance the books while paying for the sky high energy costs, Davis tried pushing through an increase to vehicle registration fees. That was the proverbial camel straw that triggered the recall. And then the Democrats ran, even for them, one of the most asinine campaigns ever...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Volante wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:25 am
Johnblue wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:03 am Grey Davis blamed Enron for his failure & recall as CA governor? Odd.
But there's truth to it. During the 2000-2001 energy crisis, we had statewide rolling blackouts due to how much Enron was charging for energy (thanks to the energy deregulation bill signed in by Pete Wilson). So in an attempt to balance the books while paying for the sky high energy costs, Davis tried pushing through an increase to vehicle registration fees. That was the proverbial camel straw that triggered the recall. And then the Democrats ran, even for them, one of the most asinine campaigns ever...
What I recall, living in CA at the time, was that the vehicle registration fee "increase" was due to the planned expiration of a temporary fee rollback.

The recall election was quite the circus. There were something like 130 candidates that qualified for the ballot. I still have the sample ballot.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

RandyG wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:29 pm The recall election was quite the circus. There were something like 130 candidates that qualified for the ballot. I still have the sample ballot.
Gallagher (he of the watermelon question a couple of weeks ago) was one of the candidates, if I recall.

Recognized the name Ada Louise Huxtable and confused her with Ada Lovelace. Said computing.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

StevenH wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:27 am I am surprised at the leaguewide get rates on some of yesterday's questions. I would have expected Galapagos to play easy and Rhinoceros to play a little tough, but not to the levels that they did. The Pirsig book also did not ring a bell for me at all, but apparently that was something that I should have heard of.
I attempted to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance but pronounced it a ground pour* 30 pages in. But I did remember the title and author (and that it's said to be the top-selling philosophy book in the U.S.).

* A ground pour is a phrase from beer festivals. It refers to a beer that is so bad that it gets dumped out (discreetly, and out of the brewer's sight) after one sip.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Blame it on being too young. I figured the "former governor" thing had to do with said governor being deposed criminally, making the leap to Rod Blasonofabitch and Illinois.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RandyG wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:29 pm The recall election was quite the circus. There were something like 130 candidates that qualified for the ballot. I still have the sample ballot.
135, Here's what it looked like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Cali ... recall.png
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Gotta say, I'm baffled that over half the league doesn't know what a first down signal looks like. Sadly, combined with my horrendous defense this season, that turned my six-pack into a 9(6)-9(5) tie.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:54 am Gotta say, I'm baffled that over half the league doesn't know what a first down signal looks like. Sadly, combined with my horrendous defense this season, that turned my six-pack into a 9(6)-9(5) tie.
No surprise to me and I gave my (female) opponent a 3 for it while I collected a 0 on it. 7(5)-2(3) has me up to fourth place and 2nd on D with .808

Time to do the classic and see if I can help my group.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:54 am Gotta say, I'm baffled that over half the league doesn't know what a first down signal looks like. Sadly, combined with my horrendous defense this season, that turned my six-pack into a 9(6)-9(5) tie.
In my case, it was an RTFQ: I thought it said that the ref’s arm was perpendicular to the ground, which threw me and cost me the tie.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I'm not a football fan and had no idea, but I got it on a lucky guess. I got 3 points for it and a win. It still hurts though that I couldn't think of the Spanish word for "solitude!"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

It's quite irritating when I defend properly against the leaguewide get rate...and my opponent's knowledge base is the opposite...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:01 am
In my case, it was an RTFQ: I thought it said that the ref’s arm was perpendicular to the ground, which threw me and cost me the tie.
I RTFQ over and over (and over again) and somehow still came away baffled regarding what the description was trying to describe.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

I got it right, but I have to say I did so with less confidence than I wanted to have. The description of the arm is a little awkward, and I kept re-reading trying to determine if it meant the ref was facing the sideline or the end zone (I think primarily of the shoulders turning for a first down indication). I also can't remember ever seeing it being signaled *without* the pointing finger.

If I'm reading the thread on the LL board correctly, it sounds like a few alternate answers were accepted for this one.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Not a sports person. I was between “down” and field goal- figured field goal was wrong but put it anyway. Ended up with a 6(5)-6(4) tie bc my opponent picked up 3 points for it :/