Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Ironhorse »

Buckner win. For some reason my opponent gave me 3 points for Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I'm also glad I hit submit before watching J! last night in light of the question about the etymology of "key".
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

If, like me, you thought The Backyardigans question was a fairly random one, this video probably explains why it was chosen as a LL topic.

You only have to watch the first couple minutes or so for the context.

Another TIk Tok adjacent question.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:52 pm
Johnblue wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:32 pm I just went to the LL page to remind myself of the questions and there’s a notice in a red box that I may have submitted my answers too late although it lists my submission time (correctly!) as 10:28pm EST. I hope it’s just a glitch as I got either all 6 correct or 5/6 if baking soda isn’t similar enough to baking powder.
Pretty much the whole point of that question was knowing the difference between baking soda and baking powder, so no, not similar enough. 61% correct and 29% MCWA
I inexplicably changed powder to soda right before submitting. 8(5)-9(6) loss.

1 bad week undoing most of 2 great weeks. Hello regression to the mean, my old friend.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:46 pm
Johnblue wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:32 pm I just went to the LL page to remind myself of the questions and there’s a notice in a red box that I may have submitted my answers too late although it lists my submission time (correctly!) as 10:28pm EST. I hope it’s just a glitch as I got either all 6 correct or 5/6 if baking soda isn’t similar enough to baking powder.
Pretty much the whole point of that question was knowing the difference between baking soda and baking powder, so no, not similar enough. 61% correct and 29% MCWA
I'm pretty amazed that so many people knew the difference between baking powder and baking soda.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

bluejaylink wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:06 pm If, like me, you thought The Backyardigans question was a fairly random one, this video probably explains why it was chosen as a LL topic.

You only have to watch the first couple minutes or so for the context.

Another TIk Tok adjacent question.
Thanks for the more recent tie-in as I only got it right after dredging it from the dusty 2008ish part of my brain (paying attention to Halloween costume names saved me) and wondered how the percentage was as "high" as it was. The name was not coming to me and I started the alphabet trick of A then B then blessed recall and relief as I was determined for a rare time to sit on it until it came to me.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:40 pm
I'm pretty amazed that so many people knew the difference between baking powder and baking soda.
If 30% of the league knew it then the other 60% could have been guessing 50/50 between the two, seems pretty reasonable.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:26 pm
If 30% of the league knew it then the other 60% could have been guessing 50/50 between the two, seems pretty reasonable.
Weirdly that one was classified as science, not food & drink. That said, I now won't trust anything baked by 30% of LL :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:26 pm If 30% of the league knew it then the other 60% could have been guessing 50/50 between the two, seems pretty reasonable.
I definitely flipped the Koin.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:26 pm
Yeah 30% of the league knowing it is what surprised me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Sodium bicarbonate = baking soda has long been something I've known. The terms feel close to interchangeable to me, but with sodium bicarbonate as an ingredient and not the whole thing, I knew powder was the correct choice.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I thought that I had been doing so well to recover from the horrid season that I had last season. But then this week I went 0-5-0, which dropped me from 14th to 23rd in my D rundle. I now have the top spot in the relegation zone.

I made a really dumb mistake on the Close Encounters of the Third Kind question. The correct answer was my first instinct, but then I second guessed myself with Contact. I thought that Contact may have been a more recent film (I am not a movie person, especially when it comes to sci-fi), but to me Contact as a title seemed like it fit the clues much better than a movie that's called Close Encounters of the Third Kind. My opponent gave me a 0 for it, but that was still an embarrassing miss.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:08 am I made a really dumb mistake on the Close Encounters of the Third Kind question. The correct answer was my first instinct, but then I second guessed myself with Contact. I thought that Contact may have been a more recent film (I am not a movie person, especially when it comes to sci-fi), but to me Contact as a title seemed like it fit the clues much better than a movie that's called Close Encounters of the Third Kind. My opponent gave me a 0 for it, but that was still an embarrassing miss.
If they question was a little less specific, you'd've been fine. A CE3K is contact, but Contact was a 1997 film.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I way overthought it and put roux. Would have gone with baking powder had I not decided to be an idiot.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

At least my non-dextrous brain didn't cost me the win. I really would've been upset by that: knew the trick, I've answered it before, and maybe if I spent all day on it...but my luck Michael C Hall would've done something yesterday and come across my feed and ruin it all if I waited...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm floored that somehow more people knew the words for right and left (hand) in Latin than knew either Diesel or Death in Venice. Didn't matter for me because me opponent got 'em all right. I only missed Dexter. I knew "sinister" meant left handed, but could come up with with what right handed would be. I ended up going for something that seemed like it could possibly be more of an antonym from the evil angle and said Benedict. I guess this is what makes defense so important and challenging!
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

I'm upset with myself that I blew the question about the Palais Garnier. Read the farkin' question, kids. 1910 novel and 1986 musical should be an instant Pavlov for Phantom of the Opera. Put down "Cabaret" instead. (yeah, yeah, that's German...)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:40 am I'm floored that somehow more people knew the words for right and left (hand) in Latin than knew either Diesel or Death in Venice.
I'm not floored, but I am surprised at the relatively low get rate for diesel. I didn't connect re "Death in Venice" ... at least I had the right country (Rome) 🤪
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Death in Venice usually produces stand-and-stares on Jeopardy!, so I kinda expected it to play hard

I danced around Dexter with Dieter and Rich and Drew and landed, inexplicably, on Francis
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RandyG wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:41 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:40 am I'm floored that somehow more people knew the words for right and left (hand) in Latin than knew either Diesel or Death in Venice.
I'm not floored, but I am surprised at the relatively low get rate for diesel. I didn't connect re "Death in Venice" ... at least I had the right country (Rome) 🤪
Well, I supposed floored was a bit much. I've been in the league long enough now to know I can't always predict the get rate.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I knew sinister was related to being left handed and I’ve seen the etymology of ambidextrous somewhere before but I didn’t think of that connection. Went from Spanish derecha to Derek. Kicking myself for missing Dexter and Venice.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.